Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
10 years? The only agency I know of that goes that far back with drug history requirements is DEA. FBI was more lenient. Let's just say, I had to document some things from college too... I was 5 years out of college at the time I started the process, and it was a non-issue.

They told me that was the policy. I am hoping that you just have to document what you did and then moving forward stay clean regardless.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
10 years? The only agency I know of that goes that far back with drug history requirements is DEA. FBI was more lenient. Let's just say, I had to document some things from college too... I was 5 years out of college at the time I started the process, and it was a non-issue.

7 years is what I have seen, 10 seems a little extreme.

Also, I wouldn't bother trying any of those tricks to try to fool the polygraph (i.e. the thumbtack trick). Best case scenario is that it will make the poly come up inconclusive and you will be put through it again. Plus if you get caught, you will probably be immediately terminated as a candidate.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
7 years is what I have seen, 10 seems a little extreme.

Also, I wouldn't bother trying any of those tricks to try to fool the polygraph (i.e. the thumbtack trick). Best case scenario is that it will make the poly come up inconclusive and you will be put through it again. Plus if you get caught, you will probably be immediately terminated as a candidate.

That is the key with any of these agencies - just be upfront about it. You'd be surprised what they are willing to look past... but if you lie about it and they get even a whiff of that possibility, you are done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
That is the key with any of these agencies - just be upfront about it. You'd be surprised what they are willing to look past... but if you lie about it and they get even a whiff of that possibility, you are done.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I still have to make it past my M&G first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Ok, thanks for the advice. I still have to make it past my M&G first.

I don't know that you need to be upfront about everything...but just don't try and paint yourself to be an angel when you're obviously not. Admit to having your fun in college, maybe "experimenting" a bit. You want to come off as a normal, social guy...but not someone that is irresponsible or thumbs their nose at the law.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I used some COL calculators and found them to exaggerate a bit. But how much % would you expect to make in San Fran compared to Seattle to account just for cost of living?

I looked at positions in both places. I would estimate 20% more in SF than Seattle.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
I looked at positions in both places. I would estimate 20% more in SF than Seattle.

Thanks.

As a general question on these cost of living calculations, how much are the housing costs weighed of renter v buyer?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Thanks.

As a general question on these cost of living calculations, how much are the housing costs weighed of renter v buyer?

I think they are heavily weighted towards home buyers.

If you guys are looking to get a place in SF, I would plan on spending at least $1500-2000. Seattle is probably more like $1250-1600.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
I think they are heavily weighted towards home buyers.

If you guys are looking to get a place in SF, I would plan on spending at least $1500-2000. Seattle is probably more like $1250-1600.

Gulp.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Gulp.

Well, you obviously can find something cheaper...it just depends on what you're willing to settle for.

I assume you have checked out craigslist to get an idea of what you're looking at?

Like I said earlier...I talked to some nurses last year when I was out there. They told me that for a 2 bedroom in the hip areas of the city, you're looking at $2800. But if you lived in more of an "up and coming" area, and took a 600 sf studio or something, you could probably find something for $1,000.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Well, you obviously can find something cheaper...it just depends on what you're willing to settle for.

I assume you have checked out craigslist to get an idea of what you're looking at?

Like I said earlier...I talked to some nurses last year when I was out there. They told me that for a 2 bedroom in the hip areas of the city, you're looking at $2800. But if you lived in more of an "up and coming" area, and took a 600 sf studio or something, you could probably find something for $1,000.

Cool. Thanks, I figured. We're not that fancy. I'm more trying to put my finger on what an equal offer would look like in the 2 diff. cities, and your feedback def. helped with that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Cool. Thanks, I figured. We're not that fancy. I'm more trying to put my finger on what an equal offer would look like in the 2 diff. cities, and your feedback def. helped with that.

I have done a bit of the same, comparing Vegas, SoCal, Portland, Seattle, SF, etc. SF was the most expensive of any of them.

I've received some offers to work in SoCal, and just recently, Portland.

I'll just write up a hypothetical for you...

Vegas - make $85k

SoCal - $115k

Portland - $120k

Seattle - $100k

SF - $135k

Due to cost of living, at least in my calculations, I was actually better off staying here in Vegas than going anywhere else. And it wasn't really anywhere close. I just bought an 1800 sq ft home that was entirely finished (polished concrete floors, commercial stove and fridge, modern frosted glass cabinetry, nice sized lot, etc) for $134,500. I'm a mile off the Strip and a mile from Downtown Vegas. I couldn't sniff a home anywhere near that quality for that price in any of those other cities. I looked fairly seriously at the SoCal offer, and anything decent was at least $400-500k. In Portland, you're looking at $300-400k. In Seattle, the same. In SF, probably $500-600k.

So I definitely understand your predicament. You will always be able to find something and make due though. And your earning potential in places like SF and Seattle are almost unlimited...more importantly, your potential to find a career you would never find in most other places is far greater.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
I have done a bit of the same, comparing Vegas, SoCal, Portland, Seattle, SF, etc. SF was the most expensive of any of them.

I've received some offers to work in SoCal, and just recently, Portland.

I'll just write up a hypothetical for you...

Vegas - make $85k

SoCal - $115k

Portland - $120k

Seattle - $100k

SF - $135k

Due to cost of living, at least in my calculations, I was actually better off staying here in Vegas than going anywhere else. And it wasn't really anywhere close. I just bought an 1800 sq ft home that was entirely finished (polished concrete floors, commercial stove and fridge, modern frosted glass cabinetry, nice sized lot, etc) for $134,500. I'm a mile off the Strip and a mile from Downtown Vegas. I couldn't sniff a home anywhere near that quality for that price in any of those other cities. I looked fairly seriously at the SoCal offer, and anything decent was at least $400-500k. In Portland, you're looking at $300-400k. In Seattle, the same. In SF, probably $500-600k.

So I definitely understand your predicament. You will always be able to find something and make due though. And your earning potential in places like SF and Seattle are almost unlimited...more importantly, your potential to find a career you would never find in most other places is far greater.

Now that's how you get yourself a 1800 square foot home in Las Vegas

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Now that's how you get yourself a 1800 square foot home in Las Vegas

Hah...I know, it's not huge, but it's just me and the dog...and I'm of the less is more opinion, to be honest with you. Utility bills and maintenance...it's just more of a pain in the ass than anything to have a big home that you don't need.

I am writing a referral cover letter for a marketing position at a restaurant in Illinois, My girlfriend's old boss is the referral, how would one word this on the letter? I know it's true but to me it sounds weird to say "my girlfriend's old boss" referred me. Her old boss had a major position at this restaurant at one point and is still very close with many people there, any suggestions? I read that you usually should put how you are connected to your referral in these!

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
I am writing a referral cover letter for a marketing position at a restaurant in Illinois, My girlfriend's old boss is the referral, how would one word this on the letter? I know it's true but to me it sounds weird to say "my girlfriend's old boss" referred me. Her old boss had a major position at this restaurant at one point and is still very close with many people there, any suggestions? I read that you usually should put how you are connected to your referral in these!

A professional acquaintance?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
What schools are you looking at, if you don't mind my asking? Just curious what your list looks like, and what end of the earth you may end up occupying.

I will go anywhere that will hire me. I'm currently limiting myself to "This continent."

Flying to Oregon for this one. Others I know I'll be applying at are Baylor, Purdue (shudder), Toronto, Arkansas. So yeah, moderately eclectic set of locations.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
I will go anywhere that will hire me. I'm currently limiting myself to "This continent."

Flying to Oregon for this one. Others I know I'll be applying at are Baylor, Purdue (shudder), Toronto, Arkansas. So yeah, moderately eclectic set of locations.

I know the honcho geologist at UNM, if you want a contact. We aren't good buddies or anything, but I've spoken to him a few times before. Fascinating dude.

Also, I'd be so very jealous about Oregon. Its one of my 8 remaining states I haven't visited, but something tells me it would be perfect.