Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Also, I'd be so very jealous about Oregon. Its one of my 8 remaining states I haven't visited, but something tells me it would be perfect.

I'm jealous too...was there in Sept...awesome, awesome state...

Balta, I drove through both Corvallis and Eugene, and both were absolutely beautiful. You'd love it there.

Keep us posted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
I'm jealous too...was there in Sept...awesome, awesome state...

Balta, I drove through both Corvallis and Eugene, and both were absolutely beautiful. You'd love it there.

Keep us posted.

Trust me, success would provoke many, many drunken celebratory posts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
So you literally have ONE suit? That seems unpossible to me.

I only had one suit until about a year ago. Haven't had to interview for a job in over 7 years, so I only wear suits to weddings. The only reason I bought two was cause it was buy one get one free.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Grad school.

Watch that section of your closet grow. I buy 2 new suits every 3-4 months. Mens warehouse usually has a 2 for 2 designed suit sale that you can hit up and then my tailor does the rest (I dont let them cut the suit at that place). I have an entire section of my closet for suits at this point. I also go through a pair of black dress shoes about every 2-4 months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Watch that section of your closet grow. I buy 2 new suits every 3-4 months. Mens warehouse usually has a 2 for 2 designed suit sale that you can hit up and then my tailor does the rest (I dont let them cut the suit at that place). I have an entire section of my closet for suits at this point. I also go through a pair of black dress shoes about every 2-4 months.

I'm sure I'll have more need of them in the next few years if I can actually pull off one of these faculty jobs...grad students and postdocs get invited to very few formal functions of any sort.

So Ive been talking a bit about with my manager about my start time for once I graduate, so that we can both plan things out. I want to, and he's encouraging heavily, for me to pursue my MBA part time as soon as I can, like within a year of undergrad graduation to be enrolled.

That said, has anyone here taken the GMAT? How many study hours do I need to plan on? Good resources to buy?

And while we are on the subject, what opinions do you guys ahve about the B-schools in Chicago? Obviously Kellogg and Booth are top in the country, but for part time (and a more reasonable expectation) I've heard decent/good things about Depaul/Loyola/UIC. They also cost less than half of Kellogg (I could afford the extra cost, but for going within a year out of undergrad that means I would be living at home for awhile :P ).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)

Unless someone is a banker or lawyer I don't see how too many people would fit in this category. I only wear suits to weddings and job interviews.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
Unless someone is a banker or lawyer I don't see how too many people would fit in this category. I only wear suits to weddings and job interviews.

Sales people, and many company execs. Politicians, even minor local ones. Some government officials.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
So Ive been talking a bit about with my manager about my start time for once I graduate, so that we can both plan things out. I want to, and he's encouraging heavily, for me to pursue my MBA part time as soon as I can, like within a year of undergrad graduation to be enrolled.

That said, has anyone here taken the GMAT? How many study hours do I need to plan on? Good resources to buy?

And while we are on the subject, what opinions do you guys ahve about the B-schools in Chicago? Obviously Kellogg and Booth are top in the country, but for part time (and a more reasonable expectation) I've heard decent/good things about Depaul/Loyola/UIC. They also cost less than half of Kellogg (I could afford the extra cost, but for going within a year out of undergrad that means I would be living at home for awhile :P ).

I find that ridiculous. Most of those schools would want you to have 3 years experience anyway. If your manager wants you to do that, i hope his company helps their employees with the cost. These next few years should help guide you toward what kind of business you actually like working in, then use the MBA to give you a final launch toward it. I don't agree with your manager, but whatever. Of MBAs, i'd imagine UIC is the best. What you will need to work on most is the math section. I imagine you haven't done algebra, etc, for years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I find that ridiculous. Most of those schools would want you to have 3 years experience anyway. If your manager wants you to do that, i hope his company helps their employees with the cost. These next few years should help guide you toward what kind of business you actually like working in, then use the MBA to give you a final launch toward it. I don't agree with your manager, but whatever. Of MBAs, i'd imagine UIC is the best. What you will need to work on most is the math section. I imagine you haven't done algebra, etc, for years.

Well he is pushing me because they want to fast track me as soon as possible, so sooner I have an MBA the quicker I can move essentially (though it's not a factor that would completely block me). There is a guy in our department that they are putting the same emphasis on and he went to NW after about 1.5 years of work for PT. Essentially, I have my own goal in mind but my manager wants me in a management position by age 27, which I want to beat (even though that may be unrealistic).

Yea I know I'd at least have to brush up on math, economics, etc. Haven't really practiced some of that stuff in a few years and others in close to 5 years.