Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
That said, has anyone here taken the GMAT? How many study hours do I need to plan on? Good resources to buy?

And while we are on the subject, what opinions do you guys ahve about the B-schools in Chicago? Obviously Kellogg and Booth are top in the country, but for part time (and a more reasonable expectation) I've heard decent/good things about Depaul/Loyola/UIC. They also cost less than half of Kellogg (I could afford the extra cost, but for going within a year out of undergrad that means I would be living at home for awhile :P ).

I took it in 2009, wasn't too awful. I bought the Kaplan prep book and a book w/ full practice exams. I'd say I probably studied 10 hours a week for a month and did pretty well on it (top 20%). That score was good enough to get me a max scholarship to a smaller grad school for my MSA.

I took a position in July with a company with an awesome product line but like many, they are just really F'd up. They just notified me yesterday that they are taking away my base salary (which I had told them in the beginning I would not accept the position without a base) and I am now commission only.

The product line and items I am selling are put it this way, virtually impossible to sell over the phone. I have sold one over the last 5 months (with my boss who is the President had said that he can sell to 9/10 people that he calls, hasn't happened yet and he hasn't sold one). Problem is, this position is a lot of account management, which is pretty much myself working for free if things aren't being sold. I am afraid that if I request my walking papers to file for umemployment, they will deny, any suggestions?

Another young marketing guru bites the dust :lolhitting Can't wait to get a normal job

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
I took a position in July with a company with an awesome product line but like many, they are just really F'd up. They just notified me yesterday that they are taking away my base salary (which I had told them in the beginning I would not accept the position without a base) and I am now commission only.

The product line and items I am selling are put it this way, virtually impossible to sell over the phone. I have sold one over the last 5 months (with my boss who is the President had said that he can sell to 9/10 people that he calls, hasn't happened yet and he hasn't sold one). Problem is, this position is a lot of account management, which is pretty much myself working for free if things aren't being sold. I am afraid that if I request my walking papers to file for umemployment, they will deny, any suggestions?

Another young marketing guru bites the dust :lolhitting Can't wait to get a normal job

Just start interviewing so you can keep benefits while still employed. Clearly that company sucks balls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
It is. But if he quits, they will deny him benefits.

I actually cut a deal with them that I would stay on my parents insurance until I was 26 but shhhhh, which is one of the many reasons I am pissed off. It was a great opportunity with a chance to make great money but it really crashed and they have succeeded in "sales prevention". Because of some of the things they have done despite my orders, I have actually probably lost out on 5 figures of commission money in the past 5 months. So if they are taking away my base pay, I have 0 interest in working commission only.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
I dont like messing with unemployment, there are negative connotations with that for loans, jobs and whatnot. Just start reaching out to recruiters on linkedin. Good Luck.

That's true, I have been doing that for awhile now, I have a lot of connections through my line of work but haven't come across anything yet....Thanks

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
I dont like messing with unemployment, there are negative connotations with that for loans, jobs and whatnot. Just start reaching out to recruiters on linkedin. Good Luck.

Yeah, right now, a whole lot of recruiters simply toss away applications of people who aren't currently employed.

I just accepted a promotion from my Day Of Trading position to a Day Ahead position where I will also be tasked with setting up a compliance desk, as well as exploring potential revenue sources for the power and fuels group of our company.

A bit scary for me since I am giving up my crazy schedule (which included several 2 week vacations a year), and switching to a normal day schedule, and going from a boss I really liked to one I can't always figure out, but it was one of those things where you just kind of have to take it for the opportunity you are being provided despite not knowing exactly where it might lead.

Got a 20% raise and a 33% bump in my bonus compensation structure.

Yay me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Congrats! I'm sure it will be a move for the better, and parts of it do sound pretty interesting, except for the compliance part :P .

Yeah, the compliance thing could be awful, but it is probably a really good opportunity to have. That kind of experience is always going to be in demand. Plus, he's telling me when I am working on the compliance stuff I can do it whenever and wherever I want, which is a big plus for me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I just accepted a promotion from my Day Of Trading position to a Day Ahead position where I will also be tasked with setting up a compliance desk, as well as exploring potential revenue sources for the power and fuels group of our company.

A bit scary for me since I am giving up my crazy schedule (which included several 2 week vacations a year), and switching to a normal day schedule, and going from a boss I really liked to one I can't always figure out, but it was one of those things where you just kind of have to take it for the opportunity you are being provided despite not knowing exactly where it might lead.

Yay me.

#The1%

j/k, Congrats!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Yeah, the compliance thing could be awful, but it is probably a really good opportunity to have. That kind of experience is always going to be in demand. Plus, he's telling me when I am working on the compliance stuff I can do it whenever and wherever I want, which is a big plus for me.

Definitely a great thing to have in your back pocket, just will probably be a tough thing to get through, but who said the climb to the 1% would be easy?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Definitely a great thing to have in your back pocket, just will probably be a tough thing to get through, but who said the climb to the 1% would be easy?

The greatest thing about Compliance is that it isn't as immediate of a thing as the trading. It can be done as needed instead of RIGHTf***INGNOW.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
The greatest thing about Compliance is that it isn't as immediate of a thing as the trading. It can be done as needed instead of RIGHTf***INGNOW.

Yeah, I specifically asked if I would have to work trading hours if I was doing the compliance work. He said I could do it at home if I wanted to. So that was a big plus.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)

So I understand, the 1% are people with jobs right?

Did anyone see the guy rain down McDonalds apps on the protestors at CBOT yesterday?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)

Yay me.

That's great news! Congrats!

I am certain that you will kick ass in your new role.