Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
So what do you wear to an internal psuedo job interview (that's actually being called a meeting)? I have met everyone I'm interviewing with and we've discussed the opportunity already.

I feel like showing up in a suit would make me feel ridiculous.

What kind of attire is normal for the group you are meeting with?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
So what do you wear to an internal psuedo job interview (that's actually being called a meeting)? I have met everyone I'm interviewing with and we've discussed the opportunity already.

Joe Crede jersey.

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Oh my bad, I meant to add that. It's business casual there.

If you think a suit won't work, I'd just go with a daily business dress, ie shirt and tie, no jacket. Stay a notch above what is expected to show a level of respect for them. Don't underdress them for sure.

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)

Go one notch above. Business casual can be interpreted different ways at different places, but if you usually wear a button shirt and khakis, I'd go dressier pants and shirt/tie, no jacket.

You could also always carry the tie and make a game time decision. At worst you've in a nice shirt and dress pants.

Edited by IlliniKrush

• 2 weeks later...

Should this be in a new thread? dunno, but two pieces of good news...

1) Have a 15min phone interview tomorrow which is most likely a precursor to a face-to-face interview in a few weeks.

2) A friend of mine passed my resume on to his boss and he's apparently very interested in me. I need to get him a revised resume by noon tomorrow and I'll probably have an interview within the next week.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Should this be in a new thread? dunno, but two pieces of good news...

1) Have a 15min phone interview tomorrow which is most likely a precursor to a face-to-face interview in a few weeks.

2) A friend of mine passed my resume on to his boss and he's apparently very interested in me. I need to get him a revised resume by noon tomorrow and I'll probably have an interview within the next week.

That's excellent news. Always good to have options...

On another note, should we maybe change the title of this thread to eliminate the years? I think there's some valuable information in here and it's not a terribly long thread, so it might be nice to keep this one going. Just a thought...

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
That's excellent news. Always good to have options...

On another note, should we maybe change the title of this thread to eliminate the years? I think there's some valuable information in here and it's not a terribly long thread, so it might be nice to keep this one going. Just a thought...

Yea I'd like to keep it going, it's not terribly long at this point.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
A friend of mine got an offer from Google a few weeks ago, 100k out of college :o

$100k isn't what it used to be, especially living in Palo Alto...but it has to be awesome to get to work in that kind of corporate culture. That's an awesome opportunity.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
$100k isn't what it used to be, especially living in Palo Alto...but it has to be awesome to get to work in that kind of corporate culture. That's an awesome opportunity.

I have yet to see an offer that big for an undergrad student, and that was for their Chicago office, it would've been $130k for a California location. She also got $40k in stock options.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
I have yet to see an offer that big for an undergrad student, and that was for their Chicago office, it would've been $130k for a California location. She also got $40k in stock options.

Is she single?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
Is she single?

She used to date one of my roommates, then they started hooking up again (conveniently around the time of the job offer). Then he hooked up with one of her sorority sisters and she called him a whore, it was all very entertaining for me.

Her name is Kay, so I started calling her 100K, that was fun too.

Not sure if this is against forum policy, but since this is a job hunt thread, I will just throw it out there.

I currently have a few positions to fill. It is a part time position in the Sales and Marketing field. All income from this position will be commission based, meaning no base compensation. Hours are very flexible in that you get to pick your own hours. If this is something that interests you and you are looking to make some extra income in 2012, feel free to give me a PM.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
She used to date one of my roommates, then they started hooking up again (conveniently around the time of the job offer). Then he hooked up with one of her sorority sisters and she called him a whore, it was all very entertaining for me.

Her name is Kay, so I started calling her 100K, that was fun too.

Hah, funny...I'm dating a girl named Kay too...that's a good nickname...:)

Now the next question....is she hot?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Hah, funny...I'm dating a girl named Kay too...that's a good nickname...:)

Now the next question....is she hot?

Meh, nothing special but not ugly, but she gets really crazy and would be super high maintenance, thus not worth the benefits she comes with :P

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
They are supposed to be one of the best companies around to work for too.

Oh yea, the benefits are supposed to be out of this world, not to mention the work atmosphere they have. I should've been a CS major instead of an IT major, because apparently if you're a CS major with an outgoing personality you can get a job anywhere.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Oh yea, the benefits are supposed to be out of this world, not to mention the work atmosphere they have. I should've been a CS major instead of an IT major, because apparently if you're a CS major with an outgoing personality you can get a job anywhere.

I think they allow you to bring your dog to work if you so choose...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)

That and the creative freedom they are allow are supposed to be incredible.

Same here. Goign into my senior year of high school I had three options i was looking at: Architecture, Computer Science/IT, Radio Broadcasting. I went with Radio Broadcasting.... I havent stepped into a radio station since I graduated college... and I am now an IT with no "IT" degree.

I should've been a CS major instead of an IT major, because apparently if you're a CS major with an outgoing personality you can get a job anywhere.

Depends on what languages you know. I've read the requirements for some programming positions and never even heard of some of it.

Here's one for example that I just got in my email:

Must have:

* IBM iSeries (AS400) environment experience especially with RPGIII, CLP, SQL and DB2.

* Proficient in HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, AJAX, SQL and XML.

* Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills.

* Be able to work independently and efficiently to meet deadlines.

* Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized.

Preferred:

* Experience with the following software applications: JD Edwards Enterprise Software, Extol EDI Integrator software suite, Apache Web Server, WebSmart Application development suite and Nexus Application framework.

I couldn't even start to tell you what half of that is much less have any experience with it.

Edited by Iwritecode

A couple of my roommates were CS majors. One is in the CS Ph.D. program at Carnegie Mellon, and one of this is a "visiting scholar" at our undergrad with a salaried position.