Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
I only got like 1 or 2 questions like that, and for both of them I gave a couple different scenarios I've been in and my reasoning behind my actions in both of them.

I actually think I interviewed pretty well, and they seem to need a lot of help pretty much right away, so I am feeling really good about it right now. Just have to cross my fingers at this point. Even if it ultimately is just a temporary 10 month position, I would love to have any experience I can get having to do with anything financially.

One person on here already knows, but I received an offer last Thursday for this position. :)

It's been a bit of a struggle initially though. I have to go in for a UA, but I wasn't able to get ahold of HR on Friday or yesterday, and have been unsuccessful thus far today, and they need a clean test before they can even let me in the building. I know they don't take long to do or get results for, but this is insanely frustrating.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
One person on here already knows, but I received an offer last Thursday for this position. :)

It's been a bit of a struggle initially though. I have to go in for a UA, but I wasn't able to get ahold of HR on Friday or yesterday, and have been unsuccessful thus far today, and they need a clean test before they can even let me in the building. I know they don't take long to do or get results for, but this is insanely frustrating.

Congrats!

Hopefully the firm was just on a long weekend or something bizarre, because otherwise not being able to get ahold of someone isn't a good sign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Congrats!

Hopefully the firm was just on a long weekend or something bizarre, because otherwise not being able to get ahold of someone isn't a good sign.

It's with MDU Resources, which is a Fortune 500 company. I just hope it's not Toby running the HR department.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Monday I had a job interview for a technology coordinator position at a local school district. Got a call today, I have a second interview on Wednesday... this time with the district's CTO. This has to be a VERY good sign.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Last Monday I had a job interview for a technology coordinator position at a local school district. Got a call today, I have a second interview on Wednesday... this time with the district's CTO. This has to be a VERY good sign.

Didnt get that job. However, they have another position that will be open in the next week or so and I was told ("under the table") that I will be offered that position, it's just a matter of dealing with a complicated HR department. Nice pay increase. I am excited about this. It'll be hard to leave where I am now, but it's something I have to do.

The only sticking point is that I already have a 2 week vacation booked and mostly paid for coming up in May. So, I am hoping they either let me start after I get back or are flexible to let me go having just started a new position 2-3 weeks prior to em leaving on vacation.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Didnt get that job. However, they have another position that will be open in the next week or so and I was told ("under the table") that I will be offered that position, it's just a matter of dealing with a complicated HR department. Nice pay increase. I am excited about this. It'll be hard to leave where I am now, but it's something I have to do.

The only sticking point is that I already have a 2 week vacation booked and mostly paid for coming up in May. So, I am hoping they either let me start after I get back or are flexible to let me go having just started a new position 2-3 weeks prior to em leaving on vacation.

Just tell them. If they want you bad enough, they'll work with you.

So I took a promotion back in December whereas my title was changed to senior level Power Trader, however, it was made clear to me that the bulk of the work I would be doing would be related to regulatory compliance. That promotion came with a decent raise.

Today my boss basically told me I will now be tasked with designing, drafting, and monitoring the compliance program for our entire office. To put that into perspective, our office transacts some $3 billion in business annually. To further put that into perspective, another company within our industry was just fined $110 million and forced to disgorge $135 million in profits by the regulatory agency which I am tasked to protect us against.

The stakes here are extremely high. The boss told me to tell him whatever it is I need and he can probably provide it for me, since this is a hot button issue within our company and the industry right now.

My boss changed my title, at least informally, today, to Compliance Lead.

My question is, what does one do with this? I am obviously going to accept the opportunity and responsibility, but do I ask for a raise? My responsibility and risk has exponentially increased over what it was as a senior level trader. My visibility within the company as well. Should I just be thankful for the opportunity, or do I tell him I need the formal title change and commensurate compensation and bonus?

Anyone have any thoughts? I am really stumped by this one...

What level is your boss? Because I would ask for one level lower than he is (if that's a promotion for you). You'll be looked upon a lot as a resource within the company and will have a ton of responsibility, and your position needs to reflect that not only for compensation, but also for power to implement change.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
What level is your boss? Because I would ask for one level lower than he is (if that's a promotion for you). You'll be looked upon a lot as a resource within the company and will have a ton of responsibility, and your position needs to reflect that not only for compensation, but also for power to implement change.

My boss is the Manager of Short Term Optimization in the Resource Optimization group. Resource Optimization basically dispatches all generation, covers all natural gas transactions, covers all day-ahead electricity transactions, all day-of electricity transactions, and all monthly electricity transactions. As I said, he manages $3 billion in transactions, basically.

I am considering asking for manager-level compensation, but not sure...certainly not the level he is at, but the introductory manager level.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
My boss is the Manager of Short Term Optimization in the Resource Optimization group. Resource Optimization basically dispatches all generation, covers all natural gas transactions, covers all day-ahead electricity transactions, all day-of electricity transactions, and all monthly electricity transactions. As I said, he manages $3 billion in transactions, basically.

I am considering asking for manager-level compensation, but not sure...certainly not the level he is at, but the introductory manager level.

I think that's a fair request, even if you don't have direct reports you still have the responsibility of a manager.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
So I took a promotion back in December whereas my title was changed to senior level Power Trader, however, it was made clear to me that the bulk of the work I would be doing would be related to regulatory compliance. That promotion came with a decent raise.

Today my boss basically told me I will now be tasked with designing, drafting, and monitoring the compliance program for our entire office. To put that into perspective, our office transacts some $3 billion in business annually. To further put that into perspective, another company within our industry was just fined $110 million and forced to disgorge $135 million in profits by the regulatory agency which I am tasked to protect us against.

The stakes here are extremely high. The boss told me to tell him whatever it is I need and he can probably provide it for me, since this is a hot button issue within our company and the industry right now.

My boss changed my title, at least informally, today, to Compliance Lead.

My question is, what does one do with this? I am obviously going to accept the opportunity and responsibility, but do I ask for a raise? My responsibility and risk has exponentially increased over what it was as a senior level trader. My visibility within the company as well. Should I just be thankful for the opportunity, or do I tell him I need the formal title change and commensurate compensation and bonus?

Anyone have any thoughts? I am really stumped by this one...

It sounds to me like you are going to be set up to fail from your industry's history. I'd ask for a raise for sure, if not, get your old job back. Taking over compliance for a firm that isn't in compliance is a b****.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
It sounds to me like you are going to be set up to fail from your industry's history. I'd ask for a raise for sure, if not, get your old job back. Taking over compliance for a firm that isn't in compliance is a b****.

I don't think we're necessarily out of compliance. I think we just need a strong compliance program. FERC wants to see that you're policing yourself.

I appreciate your honesty though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
I don't think we're necessarily out of compliance. I think we just need a strong compliance program. FERC wants to see that you're policing yourself.

I appreciate your honesty though.

Let me put it this way, I am on the other side of that coin now. The first people to get fired when something goes wrong are the compliance people, even though they usually have nothing to do with the rule breaking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Let me put it this way, I am on the other side of that coin now. The first people to get fired when something goes wrong are the compliance people, even though they usually have nothing to do with the rule breaking.

Yeah, I agree...and me and my boss have both discussed that.

Constellation was just fined $250 million, and part of their settlement with the FERC is that the traders involved are no longer allowed to trade and one of them is no longer allowed to be employed by Constellation or any of its subsidiaries.

Not only will I be charged with maintaining and monitoring the compliance program, but I am also being tasked with designing, drafting, and implementing it. The scope of this process is years, not months, and it is very high-level work. It requires a thorough knowledge of our daily business activities, coupled with an ability to understand and interpret how FERC's very ambiguous regulations apply to those business activities. This is basically a hybrid of legal and managerial-level work, combined with the always difficult task of creating and implementing a program from scratch.

It is not lost on me that not only is there a somewhat large chance of failure, but also a ton of exposure to risk. As such, I feel as though I should be compensated commensurately with the degree of difficulty and risk involved.

I'm just not sure how to communicate that without coming off as adversarial.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Yeah, I agree...and me and my boss have both discussed that.

Constellation was just fined $250 million, and part of their settlement with the FERC is that the traders involved are no longer allowed to trade and one of them is no longer allowed to be employed by Constellation or any of its subsidiaries.

Not only will I be charged with maintaining and monitoring the compliance program, but I am also being tasked with designing, drafting, and implementing it. The scope of this process is years, not months, and it is very high-level work. It requires a thorough knowledge of our daily business activities, coupled with an ability to understand and interpret how FERC's very ambiguous regulations apply to those business activities. This is basically a hybrid of legal and managerial-level work, combined with the always difficult task of creating and implementing a program from scratch.

It is not lost on me that not only is there a somewhat large chance of failure, but also a ton of exposure to risk. As such, I feel as though I should be compensated commensurately with the degree of difficulty and risk involved.

I'm just not sure how to communicate that without coming off as adversarial.

That is a really good way of putting it right there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)

From someone else who works in that sort of industry, I'd completely agree. Compliance is an unthankful spot where you are only going to take the fall when stuff doesn't work out right. Often times, it will happen and have nothing to do with you. I'd damn well make sure you get compensated. You are taking on increased responsibility and risk and should be appropriately compensated for such.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)

Just talked to the CTO (Chief Technology Officer) today. I am the first in line for the next available position. an external company is coming in to do a technology audit. Until that

audit is complete, all hiring is frozen. (this is why one of the guys said the one job would be offered to me, but hasn't yet). The audit is in mid-April and they should have a firm idea of details by early May.

Assuming there is no major structural changes (like eliminating the position I will be offered), as soon as the audit is approved, I would then be offered the position. It sounds like he THINKS I'd still be offered it. But the audit might say the position isn't a priority at the moment and some other position needs to be filled/created.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I don't know who out there might be interested, but if anyone is in, or wants to get into the compliance side of the industry, where I work is looking for an examiner. Message me for details.

Resume:

I have examined many things in the past. I look at them closely and make note of their characteristics.

This is very much a shot in the dark, but on the off chance someone can help:

I currently live in Southern Indiana and work for the government. I want to (1) Relocate to Northwest Indiana (ideal) or Northern or Central Indiana and (2) Not work for the government anymore.

My biggest problem is that my experience working for the government does not translate very well to any specific industry. While I have above-average intelligence, outstanding analytical ability, and decent people skills, I don't have the kind of specific experience that most companies are looking for in hiring mid-career people, and while money isn't the most important factor, I just can't afford to take an entry-level position. The traditional route of looking on CareerBuilder, etc., doesn't seem to be working for me because I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm really open to just about anything other than commission-based sales type stuff. It's more about finding a company and situation I like rather than looking for something specific.