Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
I would enjoy networking if I didn't despise small talk. I can be very friendly but stumble upon questions that are "evasive" even though they are what gets the kind of information I am interested in. So it's more of a communication thing. Not to mention as an introvert (who has social skills) going to networking events and loud and boisterous places isn't as effective as networking in small groups where that is my strength.

Ross, you've got an excuse for everything...I have thought for some time that the reason you're struggling is because you're always feeling sorry for yourself. People sense that and avoid people with that attitude.

You need to stop worrying so much about where you're going to end up and just enjoy being a twentysome-year old dude. Just relax...be patient...pick a f***ing job and do it well and make friends and enjoy your life. The rest tends to fall into place.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
There was a study that people who think they are lucky often had more luck.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3304...l-to-learn.html

A lot of it is just in your attitude...people like other people that are happy, confident, funny, easy-going, etc....people distance themselves from people that are constantly miserable, always making excuses, uptight, depressing to be around, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
Ross, you've got an excuse for everything...I have thought for some time that the reason you're struggling is because you're always feeling sorry for yourself. People sense that and avoid people with that attitude.

You need to stop worrying so much about where you're going to end up and just enjoy being a twentysome-year old dude. Just relax...be patient...pick a f***ing job and do it well and make friends and enjoy your life. The rest tends to fall into place.

Life isn't the worst thing in the world, I have many friends, a college degree, a good family and recently have begun dating a wonderful girl. What is missing is fulfillment and being paid for the work I do. The entire source of the problem is the fear of going down the wrong path which is why I haven't picked anything. But I'll quit worrying and just try to pull a 180 and be more positive. It's going to be tough but it's necessary to have joy in all parts of life. That said, maybe it's time to play to my strengths and start talking to people to figure out if the jobs I am thinking of or an advanced degree is necessary.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
To me, it's just making friends and connections...not saying "What do you do"? May I add you on LinkedIn?

My best connections have been people I wanted to become friends with because I thought they were interesting people, and then other stuff came later, as a result of our friendship.

No one is going to put their ass on the line or step out on a limb for some doucher they met at some conference and merely exchanged contact information with. You do that for someone you bonded with and trust...someone you talk to often on a personal level...you know all about their wife or their family or the women they talk about chasing...you've talked to them about sports and cars and your bosses...that is where the best connections come from.

Bingo. Its not work. Its having a beer and shooting the s***. Really connect with people. Shake hands, trade a laugh.

Trust me, it works

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Life isn't the worst thing in the world, I have many friends, a college degree, a good family and recently have begun dating a wonderful girl. What is missing is fulfillment and being paid for the work I do. The entire source of the problem is the fear of going down the wrong path which is why I haven't picked anything. But I'll quit worrying and just try to pull a 180 and be more positive. It's going to be tough but it's necessary to have joy in all parts of life. That said, maybe it's time to play to my strengths and start talking to people to figure out if the jobs I am thinking of or an advanced degree is necessary.

I'm glad to hear this from you. Just dive into things sometimes. It'll be an uneasy feeling at first, but you have to take risks in order to make things happens. Be willing to try things out, because you won't know whether it's the right path for you or not until you're already down the path. Six months ago when I graduate, I thought I had it all figured out. I thought I'd be a sports guy at some small-town news station. Now, I'm doing play by play and media relations for a professional baseball team.

Just sent you a PM after reading this.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Another thing on networking...a lot of it is networking with the people you already work with. They leave, you leave, suddenly you know people in different companies/towns/states. Try to make strong connections where you're at.

Doesn't even have to be work colleagues, it could be regular old friends. A good friend of mine who I went to college with got a job with the Pirates. I'm currently applying for a job with an NBA team. She told me that one of the new employees where she works came over from that very NBA team and has some connections. Soon enough, my resume is going to be sent around.

Another one of my friends got a GA position at the UofArkansas. He told me I'd be the first he'd call if something opened up in one of my areas. I think it's important to network with people who it may be mutually beneficial for you to do so. The NBA team I'm looking at has a number of positions open and I forwarded a few of them to one of the people I worked with back at school. Not necessarily a good friend, but someone I've worked with who made an impression on me who also has a lot of the same interests as I do.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)

And you're right, that is the entire source of the problem - so fix it. You've been saying the same thing for like 3 years now. Pick a job that has a decent prospect and roll the dice.

I've been with the same company since I graduated (4 years). I've had 3 different roles in 3 different sectors of the company and am now in a role I love. I got here by making the right connections internally, working my ass off on projects assigned to me and being open with all of my supervisors and coworkers on where I want to end up.

I would have NEVER imagined I'd be where I am now when I started with this company.

If you're easy to work with and do good work, people notice and will work with you to get you in the right places. At least that's my experience.

Take it from a person that's seen crazy ups and down throughout my career. Pick something, see what happens and if it doesn't work out, shift gears and pick something else. I went from graduating as a computer programmer, to getting a job as tech support, to becoming a system administrator (something I had no experience in doing), to network security (something I also had no experience in doing), during that time. While all IT based jobs, they are completely different sectors of IT.

It's not like you have to pick one thing and you can't change it in the future...but you'll never find out what works or what doesn't work unless you try something.

I went from making almost nothing, to making tons of money during the .com boom, to losing that and making a modest amount (this wasn't an easy transition), to now being able to raise a family on a single income over the span of 15 years.

I never would have done any of that if I hadn't said, ok...despite the fact that I graduated with a degree in computer programming...I'm going to take a job that will never utilize those skills and see what happens.

For the record, I've never once been paid for computer programming, but that didn't stop me from making it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
To me, it's just making friends and connections...not saying "What do you do"? May I add you on LinkedIn?

My best connections have been people I wanted to become friends with because I thought they were interesting people, and then other stuff came later, as a result of our friendship.

No one is going to put their ass on the line or step out on a limb for some doucher they met at some conference and merely exchanged contact information with. You do that for someone you bonded with and trust...someone you talk to often on a personal level...you know all about their wife or their family or the women they talk about chasing...you've talked to them about sports and cars and your bosses...that is where the best connections come from.

Exactly, your network is just as much quality of relationship as it is quantity.

What I meant in terms of a business degree (or almost any college degree) being worthless is that no matter what you studied, you most likely will be working and getting paid to do something else (as Y2HH pointed out).

Thus, there are really 2 HUGE takeaways from college:

1. Learning how to learn (and being able to show that)

2. Building a network (friends, professional organizations, faculty, corporate connections)

Networking is about getting meaningful relationships, where you keep up with those people every few weeks, and as you go in different career paths you still keep in touch because something might come up later. For example, I was in a business fraternity, I am now working fulltime in IT, and I am also a U of I recruiter for my company now along with being an intern mentor. People that know me will have the chance to get to know the interview process better, get tips and hints on how to interview for this company, and you better believe IT managers that have known me for 2 summers now come ask me about intern applicants. I am considered a great person to network with because I have those connections at my company and the roles I have volunteered for, just like many of my friends and fraternity brothers are doing at other companies.

And "small talk" does not have to be brutal, I'm not a huge fan of it but I make it work for me.

During my intern interview for my current company I mentioned baseball and the White Sox, turned out many of the people I interviewed with were big baseball fans and/or Sox fans, that stuck with them.

When I started 2 summers ago as an intern, my manager would have weekly talks with me, and you can't just talk about work related stuff during those times, so I talked about stuff like previous work and leadership experiences, the White Sox, we've even dabbled into some politics here and there (always be respectful of course).

Bottom line is, you have to show that you have a personality that they want to work with, that will work well with others. Almost anything you do for actual work will be taught to you by them anyways, so it's showing you are capable to learn that while also working well with others and potentially leading others.

Problem with networking for me was that my network was full of jags when I graduated from law school. I worked for a firm for two years in school but when the market tanked, the managing partner's friend came looking for work and I didn't get the open associate position. I worked my ass off for them but that meant nothing. Then they basically left me out to dry. They were happy to be references when necessary but wouldn't make a call to get me an interview or anything. While it sucked not getting that job I've always suspected that it was a good thing. That's not a good network.

Since then I got a masters degree and took whatever jobs I could to rebuild a network. Everyone I've met since has been the opposite. They make calls on my behalf, write recommendations if they can, etc. I took a job at the law school in an academic capacity and started working in their law clinics to make sure I had client experience as well. My network is now law professors and deans from around the country that I've met at conferences I ran (not just attended) in addition to those I've worked for. We moved back to WI and my network actually has connections here and are willing to put my resume in front of anyone they can for me. That's a good network. I don't know if it will land me a job, but it's nice to know that someone is willing to vouch for my work. And I have experience in academia (a posh landing spot for sure).

Meanwhile, by working in the clinics and actually leading cases I learned what I liked and didn't like about litigation which has pointed me towards a career path that I think I'd excel in.

So essentially, I'm 29 and my career has never really lifted off. But I feel that I'm closer to landing in a perfect spot that I would have otherwise been if things had gone as "planned".

QUOTE (G&T @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Problem with networking for me was that my network was full of jags when I graduated from law school. I worked for a firm for two years in school but when the market tanked, the managing partner's friend came looking for work and I didn't get the open associate position. I worked my ass off for them but that meant nothing. Then they basically left me out to dry. They were happy to be references when necessary but wouldn't make a call to get me an interview or anything. While it sucked not getting that job I've always suspected that it was a good thing. That's not a good network.

Since then I got a masters degree and took whatever jobs I could to rebuild a network. Everyone I've met since has been the opposite. They make calls on my behalf, write recommendations if they can, etc. I took a job at the law school in an academic capacity and started working in their law clinics to make sure I had client experience as well. My network is now law professors and deans from around the country that I've met at conferences I ran (not just attended) in addition to those I've worked for. We moved back to WI and my network actually has connections here and are willing to put my resume in front of anyone they can for me. That's a good network. I don't know if it will land me a job, but it's nice to know that someone is willing to vouch for my work. And I have experience in academia (a posh landing spot for sure).

Meanwhile, by working in the clinics and actually leading cases I learned what I liked and didn't like about litigation which has pointed me towards a career path that I think I'd excel in.

So essentially, I'm 29 and my career has never really lifted off. But I feel that I'm closer to landing in a perfect spot that I would have otherwise been if things had gone as "planned".

I've not utilized one connection I made in law school in the 4 years it has been since I graduated. I hate to say it, but I don't trust people in the legal field as far as I can throw them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
I've not utilized one connection I made in law school in the 4 years it has been since I graduated. I hate to say it, but I don't trust people in the legal field as far as I can throw them.

Funny thing is, when I started working at that firm my dad told me to be careful. I was working a lot of hours because I wanted to prove myself, but he kept saying they are going to work me into the ground, then screw me over. He's a doctor so he hates lawyers anyway, but he was right.

However, I've met a ton of great people since.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Funny thing is, when I started working at that firm my dad told me to be careful. I was working a lot of hours because I wanted to prove myself, but he kept saying they are going to work me into the ground, then screw me over. He's a doctor so he hates lawyers anyway, but he was right.

However, I've met a ton of great people since.

I got a job clerking at a fancy pants firm basically because I knew a guy there and I brought them this monster case...they proceeded to offend the family and blow the chance to represent them. The guy who did represent the family settled the thing for $30 million or something.

They kept me on until I graduated and sort of unceremoniously kicked me to the curb.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I got a job clerking at a fancy pants firm basically because I knew a guy there and I brought them this monster case...they proceeded to offend the family and blow the chance to represent them. The guy who did represent the family settled the thing for $30 million or something.

They kept me on until I graduated and sort of unceremoniously kicked me to the curb.

Wow dude. I would have shopped that around a little. Most plaintiff firms will give you a 33% finders fee.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Wow dude. I would have shopped that around a little. Most plaintiff firms will give you a 33% finders fee.

That was part of the deal...my family knows a prominent attorney there. I was still a law student but my dad is an attorney. The deal was that one of us would have gotten the 1/3 of their third standard deal.

I would have literally been a millionaire before the age of thirty.

This case was an attorney's wet dream: beautiful hs student, athlete, academic scholarship, junior miss america pageant, attending an exclusive private high school with a large endowment. She is in biology class and they have a substitute teacher. They are performing a lab experiment, which includes some bunson burners. The teacher fails to instruct any of the students to wear their safety goggles. Does many, many other negligent things. Causes a minor explosion which burns several students, one in particular, who is exposed to third-degree burns to some 75% of her body, including most of her face.

There was huge negligence at every step and turn, the girl was absolutely beautiful, intelligent, athletic, etc.

I met the girl's sister through a friend and we began dating briefly. I recommended her family talk to this attorney, as he was a member of a very prominent Chicago firm. I set it all up, made several trips to Akron, Ohio to visit with the family, etc. Got a call one night from the attorney saying the family had agreed to be represented by the firm, all that was needed was their signatures.

Then it all fell apart...