Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (G&T @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Problem with networking for me was that my network was full of jags when I graduated from law school. I worked for a firm for two years in school but when the market tanked, the managing partner's friend came looking for work and I didn't get the open associate position. I worked my ass off for them but that meant nothing. Then they basically left me out to dry. They were happy to be references when necessary but wouldn't make a call to get me an interview or anything. While it sucked not getting that job I've always suspected that it was a good thing. That's not a good network.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
I've not utilized one connection I made in law school in the 4 years it has been since I graduated. I hate to say it, but I don't trust people in the legal field as far as I can throw them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah my law school experience sucked since I went at night while working full time. Not many opportunities to network. I got extremely lucky and just happened to get a call back from my current firm from a craigslist post.

You guys make me feel great about my future. :lolhitting

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
That was part of the deal...my family knows a prominent attorney there. I was still a law student but my dad is an attorney. The deal was that one of us would have gotten the 1/3 of their third standard deal.

I would have literally been a millionaire before the age of thirty.

This case was an attorney's wet dream: beautiful hs student, athlete, academic scholarship, junior miss america pageant, attending an exclusive private high school with a large endowment. She is in biology class and they have a substitute teacher. They are performing a lab experiment, which includes some bunson burners. The teacher fails to instruct any of the students to wear their safety goggles. Does many, many other negligent things. Causes a minor explosion which burns several students, one in particular, who is exposed to third-degree burns to some 75% of her body, including most of her face.

There was huge negligence at every step and turn, the girl was absolutely beautiful, intelligent, athletic, etc.

I met the girl's sister through a friend and we began dating briefly. I recommended her family talk to this attorney, as he was a member of a very prominent Chicago firm. I set it all up, made several trips to Akron, Ohio to visit with the family, etc. Got a call one night from the attorney saying the family had agreed to be represented by the firm, all that was needed was their signatures.

Then it all fell apart...

Ugh, that sucks so much. For everyone involved.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Ugh, that sucks so much. For everyone involved.

It took me about 2 months to get over them blowing that case...I kept going back to visit the girl to keep things in perspective...and that helped.

And I was glad that the attorneys they did use seemed to do a decent enough job to get them a good settlement, although it was such an easy fact pattern that anyone would have had a difficult time botching it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
It took me about 2 months to get over them blowing that case...I kept going back to visit the girl to keep things in perspective...and that helped.

And I was glad that the attorneys they did use seemed to do a decent enough job to get them a good settlement, although it was such an easy fact pattern that anyone would have had a difficult time botching it.

How the heck did they blow it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
How the heck did they blow it?

I should clarify...they didn't blow the case, they blew the relationship with the parents somehow. So this happened near Akron, OH. We were trying to convince the family to go with a prominent and experienced Chicago firm rather than some small-time dirtbag from Akron. I spent all kinds of time with the family explaining this. Myself, the attorney I knew, and the Managing Partner of the firm made several trips to Akron to meet with the family. As I mentioned, I was sort of dating the sister, so I constantly had my finger on the pulse of the situation and kept the firm updated...finally they agreed to the representation, and I actually remember having a few celebratory drinks the evening I got the text from the attorney telling me this.

Then the next day I am talking to the sister and she is saying the parents aren't sure about the attorney...that he doesn't seem to connect with them...that the parents of the other kids involved think they should all go with a firm in Akron, that it will look greedy if they bring in some big firm from Chicago....

As far as I see it, the attorney didn't do a good job of making the family feel comfortable and explaining to them how they were more equipped to get them the best possible result at the end of the day. Instead, he tried too hard to impress them with how smart he was and how much money he had...I still don't really know everything, to be honest...I just know I handed this thing on a platter to them, gave them every piece of inside info they could possibly want, and they still couldn't seal the deal.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Another thing on networking...a lot of it is networking with the people you already work with. They leave, you leave, suddenly you know people in different companies/towns/states. Try to make strong connections where you're at.

Yeah - some people show up and don't make real connections with their co-workers. That's a bad idea.

Ok, just went back and looked the girl up...$18.9 million was the settlement. I think the firm I was at would have probably done better...

I guess she wasn't a substitute teacher, but she had her kid there in the lab and allowed him to participate...I just remember there were so many negligent things the teacher did...

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/01/bu...rs_story_o.html

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I should clarify...they didn't blow the case, they blew the relationship with the parents somehow. So this happened near Akron, OH. We were trying to convince the family to go with a prominent and experienced Chicago firm rather than some small-time dirtbag from Akron. I spent all kinds of time with the family explaining this. Myself, the attorney I knew, and the Managing Partner of the firm made several trips to Akron to meet with the family. As I mentioned, I was sort of dating the sister, so I constantly had my finger on the pulse of the situation and kept the firm updated...finally they agreed to the representation, and I actually remember having a few celebratory drinks the evening I got the text from the attorney telling me this.

Then the next day I am talking to the sister and she is saying the parents aren't sure about the attorney...that he doesn't seem to connect with them...that the parents of the other kids involved think they should all go with a firm in Akron, that it will look greedy if they bring in some big firm from Chicago....

As far as I see it, the attorney didn't do a good job of making the family feel comfortable and explaining to them how they were more equipped to get them the best possible result at the end of the day. Instead, he tried too hard to impress them with how smart he was and how much money he had...I still don't really know everything, to be honest...I just know I handed this thing on a platter to them, gave them every piece of inside info they could possibly want, and they still couldn't seal the deal.

At the end of the day, they need to feel comfortable, so you can't really fault them for that. This city has a lot of slick lawyers that don't really care about what they're doing, just that they're doing it.

I had a case I was bringing in where a downstate high school kid had a lung procedure done and the doctor left the last inch of the needle in his lung. He was probably going to get a scholarship to play D1 football but then this thing put it all into jeopardy. That and he became basically uninsurable because of it. It would have been worth some dough. I had them all signed up and everything, but the mother wouldn't agree to put in the contract that she'd be responsible for our costs (thinking that if we spent thousands on experts or whatever and then didn't get any money at the end she'd have to pay us back). I told her this wasn't an issue at all, that we'd front the cost, that they'd already offered her some money without any attorneys in the mix and that it wouldn't be a problem. Still, she didn't' want to do that. I pleaded for my partner to waive that in the contract but he refused to take the case. It was a sure fire six figure type case but he didn't feel like "paying for the privilege" of representing her. That 33% would have been great in my pocket for this newborn of mine on the way.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
At the end of the day, they need to feel comfortable, so you can't really fault them for that. This city has a lot of slick lawyers that don't really care about what they're doing, just that they're doing it.

I had a case I was bringing in where a downstate high school kid had a lung procedure done and the doctor left the last inch of the needle in his lung. He was probably going to get a scholarship to play D1 football but then this thing put it all into jeopardy. That and he became basically uninsurable because of it. It would have been worth some dough. I had them all signed up and everything, but the mother wouldn't agree to put in the contract that she'd be responsible for our costs (thinking that if we spent thousands on experts or whatever and then didn't get any money at the end she'd have to pay us back). I told her this wasn't an issue at all, that we'd front the cost, that they'd already offered her some money without any attorneys in the mix and that it wouldn't be a problem at all. Still, she didnt' want to do that. I pleaded for my partner to waive that in the contract but he refused to take the case. It was a sure fire six figure type case but he didn't feel like "paying for the privilege" of representing her. That 33% would have been great in my pocket for this newborn of mine on the way.

Yeah, I remember those questions coming up...all the fee structure stuff, etc...

I just went into my saved email and read through some of the stuff I saved...PAINFUL...I need to delete them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I knew eventually that story would wind up involving Lebron...

(debating whether to add a joke about the refs calling a foul on the students....)

It was quite the Decision this firm made to not Wade into the Heat of this case, but I bet if we ask for their reasons, they Haslem.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
It was quite the Decision this firm made to not Wade into the Heat of this case, but I bet if we ask for their reasons, they Haslem.

Actually, the client chose to take their talents (case) to Perantinides & Nolan ;)

Are you still with this firm, and do they handle medical malpractice claims?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Are you still with this firm, and do they handle medical malpractice claims?

No, I'm not. However, one of their partners is a family friend, so I could certainly put you in touch with them.

They handle lots of medical malpractice claims...however, they usually only take very lucrative cases...6 figure cases or more...if they are lower impact cases, they refer them to other firms.

If you'd like to PM me, feel free...I'd be happy to put you in touch with the right man.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Good firm, but tough to get a job. And they're pretty notorious for hiring clerks and then stringing them along before letting them go without a full-time associate position.

Yeah, I have no aspirations of working there.

I'm honestly not sure where to put this. I had it in the catch-all, but it's more job related. So, I thought I'd post it here instead.

I graduated college in 2005 with a degree in radio broadcasting, but currently work in IT. I often regret not sticking with my original plan to major in Architecture. There's been something nagging me about that career path recently, I just dont know why. But I think the time in my life to go to school has passed. I'm almost 29 (yes, still young), but my current job doesn't give me a lot of time or money. Plus, I have two kids under 4. I'm about to finish paying of my wife's and my college loans next year. the idea of incurring MORE loans even if I COULD find time to go back to school is bothersome.

If there are any architects around this forum, what would a "second career" architect school path look like? Would it even really be feasible?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
I'm honestly not sure where to put this. I had it in the catch-all, but it's more job related. So, I thought I'd post it here instead.

I graduated college in 2005 with a degree in radio broadcasting, but currently work in IT. I often regret not sticking with my original plan to major in Architecture. There's been something nagging me about that career path recently, I just dont know why. But I think the time in my life to go to school has passed. I'm almost 29 (yes, still young), but my current job doesn't give me a lot of time or money. Plus, I have two kids under 4. I'm about to finish paying of my wife's and my college loans next year. the idea of incurring MORE loans even if I COULD find time to go back to school is bothersome.

If there are any architects around this forum, what would a "second career" architect school path look like? Would it even really be feasible?

A close friend of mine works for an architect firm...and from what he tells me...it's one of the worst professions you could be relying on right now. How true that actually is, I don't know...but judging by the real estate market, including corporate...I don't doubt his word.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
A close friend of mine works for an architect firm...and from what he tells me...it's one of the worst professions you could be relying on right now. How true that actually is, I don't know...but judging by the real estate market, including corporate...I don't doubt his word.

Well you need to be able to build s***...right now, no one is building s***.

I would think the architects making the most money are the ones who are fairly adept at all the new green building techniques and materials. So not only would you have to learn all the basics of architecture, but then learn all that stuff as well.

That being said, a lot of architects are frequently struggling for work, and therefore not always busy...so it might be something you could do as a second vocation, but I am not sure it's going to be particularly easy to boost your income.

You'd be better off stripping on the side, Husky Caucasian ;)

Edited by iamshack