Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
I think you have to at least listen... but I can see a problem with the ownership group of a subsidiary company giving you a bit of pause, because word does travel.

Agreed. You have to be pretty darn careful in this situation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Agreed. You have to be pretty darn careful in this situation.

This. Trading in Chicago is a freaking fraternity. Everyone knows everyone. Honestly I think before i do anything i am going to talk to our COO. I don't want to leave where I am at now (the job is pretty solid, the work is manageable, the benefits are insane), but you never know either. But I could always use a few more dollars, and I am thinking about seeing what I can try to parlay this into.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
This. Trading in Chicago is a freaking fraternity. Everyone knows everyone. Honestly I think before i do anything i am going to talk to our COO. I don't want to leave where I am at now (the job is pretty solid, the work is manageable, the benefits are insane), but you never know either. But I could always use a few more dollars, and I am thinking about seeing what I can try to parlay this into.

Another consideration is if this company likes you, then depending on the type of internal transfers they offer, maybe there is a route to this spot which actually works out well for you and the Company. They get to continue to develop and utilize a valuable employee while you get further opportunities. All depends on how interconnected these companies are and how open the Companies are about transferring people.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Another consideration is if this company likes you, then depending on the type of internal transfers they offer, maybe there is a route to this spot which actually works out well for you and the Company. They get to continue to develop and utilize a valuable employee while you get further opportunities. All depends on how interconnected these companies are and how open the Companies are about transferring people.

The group is tiny. There is no real transfer opportunity. If volumes increase there might be some upwards potential if they have to build staff. A management track is definitely in the back of my head. The guy that is our COO was a basic floor guy who just worked his butt of and they moved up.

I find it interesting that you have people from the parent trying to pick off people from the sub, or is this an external recruiter trying to make a quick buck? (i.e. does the recruiter even realize the parent/sub relationship? - you'd think so but then again I've seen some real dumbasses in my time in the recruiting world).

I would think it wouldn't hurt to at least understand what the position is and about before you say anything to where you are now, but just because you talk to someone doesn't mean you are interested.

You can always tell your internal folks about it later and say you were trying to learn more about what was happening in your own neck of the woods for exactly what you just stated - you've been bitten too many times to at least not listen to the marketplace and what's happening in it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
I find it interesting that you have people from the parent trying to pick off people from the sub, or is this an external recruiter trying to make a quick buck? (i.e. does the recruiter even realize the parent/sub relationship? - you'd think so but then again I've seen some real dumbasses in my time in the recruiting world).

I would think it wouldn't hurt to at least understand what the position is and about before you say anything to where you are now, but just because you talk to someone doesn't mean you are interested.

You can always tell your internal folks about it later and say you were trying to learn more about what was happening in your own neck of the woods for exactly what you just stated - you've been bitten too many times to at least not listen to the marketplace and what's happening in it.

It is our parent's (who owns us 100%) parent (who owns them 49%).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)

This is exactly what I did. We had to go through a bunch of bs protocol, but it should be complete within a week or 10 days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)

Honestly, in this day and age, even if I was your boss, I'd think less of you if you didn't at least hear them out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Honestly, in this day and age, even if I was your boss, I'd think less of you if you didn't at least hear them out.

There is something to be said there. I mean, you don't even have to be seen as taking it, but you can say that it was an "interesting coversation"... helps me see what I'm doing here is .... yackity, schmakity...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
There is something to be said there. I mean, you don't even have to be seen as taking it, but you can say that it was an "interesting coversation"... helps me see what I'm doing here is .... yackity, schmakity...

Any employer that holds it against you for listening, after what just happened 4 years ago, is naive or brutal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
Any employer that holds it against you for listening, after what just happened 4 years ago, is naive or brutal.

Yes, sir. I would have to agree with that. You can always learn something about where you are in the marketplace, even if it is not with the intent to move anywhere.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
Put an application in on CareerBuilder for a job in Indy this morning and got a call back 5 minutes later.

Have a really good vibe about this one.

Wow...I've never heard of a response that quick!

Good luck and keep us posted, HH.

The job hunt while I have a job continues. Applied to a few places and reached out to my old bosses to see if they know anyone. Also set up a few calls to network and get some advice for getting into health care or higher education, but nothing has come up yet. I wonder if the jobs I am looking for are too "niche" to get employed. It's probably a lengthier process than I would have imagined.

In any case, the company was close to getting $10 million the other day. I don't think I would stay even if I got a bump up in hourly pay. Benefits and salary won't be there either, and I'd like to live on my own soon. So I'll just keep looking.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
The job hunt while I have a job continues. Applied to a few places and reached out to my old bosses to see if they know anyone. Also set up a few calls to network and get some advice for getting into health care or higher education, but nothing has come up yet. I wonder if the jobs I am looking for are too "niche" to get employed. It's probably a lengthier process than I would have imagined.

In any case, the company was close to getting $10 million the other day. I don't think I would stay even if I got a bump up in hourly pay. Benefits and salary won't be there either, and I'd like to live on my own soon. So I'll just keep looking.

Wait, you think you are going to get a raise because your company made money? Were you directly involved in this 10 million dollar deal(ie. are you getting incentive for the deal?)

If not, I need to talk to JPMorgan Chase about me getting a raise. They made like 2 billion since I started working there

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Wait, you think you are going to get a raise because your company made money? Were you directly involved in this 10 million dollar deal(ie. are you getting incentive for the deal?)

If not, I need to talk to JPMorgan Chase about me getting a raise. They made like 2 billion since I started working there

It's a startup that I work for. We were "promised" a raise or something when they got money. Sure, most of it will go to advertising and hiring new developers, but when the customer service team is making minimum wage and the senior writer and myself could make more working at retail, something is wrong. And if you have been following the thread, I said their payroll is a month behind, which they won't immediately pay out. So along with how management plays favorites (giving a relationship management girl a raise twice in one year) and the rest of these reasons, this is why I wouldn't stay. There's someone out there who would pay me $30,000 a year somewhere.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Hmmm. A case of hand me something because I have a degree and I really don't want to put the time in to earn something...

Got it.

No, I worked to get a degree and I am working to find a job that suits me. I am just saying that A. I go and work each morning and know I don't want to advance and make my career PR and B. how many graduates are working for pennies at a startup as opposed to getting a salary elsewhere? and C. You don't just make promises to your employees to make them work hard and then have them end up not be rewarded.

I'm raising a point about empty promises, but I guess it doesn't matter what anyone from generation Y says. It's just shut up, work, make money and if you're fulfilled, then that's fantastic.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
I'm raising a point about empty promises, but I guess it doesn't matter what anyone from generation Y says. It's just shut up, work, make money and if you're fulfilled, then that's fantastic.

No, you have this wrong. Its just work, shut up, because you are working and to many other people out there who aren't working, that is fantastic.

Having a degree doesn't entitle you to anything.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
No, I worked to get a degree and I am working to find a job that suits me. I am just saying that A. I go and work each morning and know I don't want to advance and make my career PR and B. how many graduates are working for pennies at a startup as opposed to getting a salary elsewhere? and C. You don't just make promises to your employees to make them work hard and then have them end up not be rewarded.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Oh wait,

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

No one owes you s***, sir. You f***ing earn it.

You get handed a piece of paper and expect the world handed to you on a silver platter? You think anyone owes you anything? You better learn about the real world real quick. It's entirely about empty promises.