Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mix business and online at all. I have no facebook, no linkedin, nothing. If you search my name online you come up with business related things only.

Would I judge someone based on the internet of course. The first thing I do when I get a resume is search them online to see how easy I can dig up dirt. I always search opposing counsels to see what I can find.

I love knowing more about someone else than they know about me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
140,000 open IT jobs, only 40,000 graduating engineers.

This is why I tell all of my Electrical Engineering friends to take CS classes or switch to Computer Engineering. Better pay, more opportunities.

To clarify, I dont care what they think.

But part of my job is keeping secrets and not letting other people get damaging information. If they cant do that in their personal life, it makes it difficult for me to believe they can do it in their professional life.

I know most people arent has anti-publicity as me, but I like that trait.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Here's a question:

We all have our soxtalk personalities. I know many of you hate my position on Ozzie Guillen and some former Sox players and my style of posting.

My question is: If you were a business owner and I applied for a job at your company, would you reject me because of things I post on soxtalk. Just curious to see if this fantasy world message board relates to real life as well. Would Greg be eliminated as a job candidate because of a message board?? Thank u for responding.

I wouldn't reject you just because you like Ozzie Guillen. But based on the logic in your arguments regarding Ozzie Guillen, I probably wouldn't hire you.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
140,000 open IT jobs, only 40,000 graduating engineers.

IT is such a wide field though.

I can code in 4 or 5 different programming languages and I'm at least familiar with half a dozen more but I could go on a job search site and still find 1,000s of jobs that I'm not qualified for simply because there are still plenty of programming languages I don't know anything about.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
I wouldn't reject you just because you like Ozzie Guillen. But based on the logic in your arguments regarding Ozzie Guillen, I probably wouldn't hire you.

I have a kind of picture in my head of what Greg is like in real life. I know a couple of people IRL that sort of remind me of the way he defends certain topics and asks questions.

On the other hand, I could be completely off base.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)

I can code in 4 or 5 different programming languages and I'm at least familiar with half a dozen more but I could go on a job search site and still find 1,000s of jobs that I'm not qualified for simply because there are still plenty of programming languages I don't know anything about.

This is why I don't like any language higher level than C++ or even Java. Once you get to the scripting languages, or hell, even languages on the same level as Java, there's just way too many.

It's not that they're hard to learn. Once you have a basis in any OO language, you can start coding in a day or two. But there's just so many libraries and APIs that are out there. That's why I'm sticking to embedded and OS-related stuff for my job search.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)

True, you still have to stay versatile in IT, as there is a ton of movement in demand within IT.

I tried learning C++ once. Except the class was actually "Advanced C++" because I had taken a class for C many years prior. It didn't go well. I've been doing mainframe programming for almost 15 years now and OOP is just different enough that I haven't been able to pick it up yet.

I am taking a free online course learning Python and it's going well so far. I'm hoping that if I can get at least one down, learning more won't be so bad. Openings for mainframe programmers are few and far between.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
I tried learning C++ once. Except the class was actually "Advanced C++" because I had taken a class for C many years prior. It didn't go well. I've been doing mainframe programming for almost 15 years now and OOP is just different enough that I haven't been able to pick it up yet.

I am taking a free online course learning Python and it's going well so far. I'm hoping that if I can get at least one down, learning more won't be so bad. Openings for mainframe programmers are few and far between.

I learned C++ through my data structures class. That class taught me more about programming than the class I learned C and assembly in.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
I learned C++ through my data structures class. That class taught me more about programming than the class I learned C and assembly in.

I took 1 assembler class because it was required. I'd never touched it prior and have yet to touch it since. In my experience the only people that know and use it are nearing retirement ages. The 2 companies I've worked converted 99% of their assembler programs a long time ago.

The C++ class I took was full of guys that had been in IT for years. So the professor kinda flew by a number of things and I had trouble keeping up.

Most of what I've learned and use everyday I got from the first programming class I took, which was COBOL.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
I took 1 assembler class because it was required. I'd never touched it prior and have yet to touch it since. In my experience the only people that know and use it are nearing retirement ages. The 2 companies I've worked converted 99% of their assembler programs a long time ago.

The C++ class I took was full of guys that had been in IT for years. So the professor kinda flew by a number of things and I had trouble keeping up.

Most of what I've learned and use everyday I got from the first programming class I took, which was COBOL.

Assembly is still useful for hardware-level OS code. You can't really escape that. Big companies are always looking for people who understand low level software/hardware.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
good for you!

Thanks brotha, I also managed to borrow 800 dollars between 3 people so it's gonna happen...Getting a cheap craigslist car that HOPEFULLY lasts me 2 months while I save for somethin nice.

It's a 7 days a week job, is that even legal?? I won't mind it for a few months but I'm def gonna be looking for a security job the whole time I'm there.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 04:48 AM)
Thanks brotha, I also managed to borrow 800 dollars between 3 people so it's gonna happen...Getting a cheap craigslist car that HOPEFULLY lasts me 2 months while I save for somethin nice.

It's a 7 days a week job, is that even legal?? I won't mind it for a few months but I'm def gonna be looking for a security job the whole time I'm there.

It's legal but if you work more than 40 hrs make sure you get overtime. What are you going to do at the plant?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)

It's definitely legal and a good way to make some good money on the overtime.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
It's legal but if you work more than 40 hrs make sure you get overtime. What are you going to do at the plant?

Ya they pay overtime, just loading and unloading crates of metal products that the plant makes. It's nothing really special, by soxtalk standards anyway at 9 an hour, but its work. At the very least I'll be able to get a car, and then a nicer car out of it while I'm looking for something new.

1145p-815a everyday, I like those hours. I can wake up around 5, have some breakfast, hit up the boxing club, and be back in time to watch the Bulls or whatever prime time TV shows are on that day. It'll be a good way to save up some $$ quick.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Ya they pay overtime, just loading and unloading crates of metal products that the plant makes. It's nothing really special, by soxtalk standards anyway at 9 an hour, but its work. At the very least I'll be able to get a car, and then a nicer car out of it while I'm looking for something new.

1145p-815a everyday, I like those hours. I can wake up around 5, have some breakfast, hit up the boxing club, and be back in time to watch the Bulls or whatever prime time TV shows are on that day. It'll be a good way to save up some $$ quick.

Congrats!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)

IIRC, they can't make you work more than 14 days in a row without giving you a day off.