Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
I've worked for a bowling alley restaurant for 2 years lol....i know its completely different because all the food was frozen but ive also been the cook at my house for the last 5 or 6 years....often times cooking for 7

and that makes you think you've got all the skills required to run a restaurant? grab some books and read up about it, talk to people who run restaurants. simply put: do your research and learn as much as you can!

then put together a proposal. then you can look for business partners. then you can attempt to get a loan. gotta crawl before you can run.

but i love the fact that you're passionate about this. with enough passion you can accomplish anything, but you gotta do it right. :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of pricing scheme would you plan on using to sell your food? How are you going to serve upwards of 50-70 people at a time cooking by yourself? How are you going to get by when the restaurant is slow? Do you understand how expensive utilities are for a commercial meter? Do you understand basic accounting principles? How will you get basic prep done while also cooking for the masses? Will you be able to keep your restaurant sanitary enough to pass a health inspection?

I have considered opening a restaurant in the past, but it is incredibly difficult to do so and actually make money. If you do it, you need, at the very least, a partner who will be able to shoulder some of the burden.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
What sort of pricing scheme would you plan on using to sell your food? How are you going to serve upwards of 50-70 people at a time cooking by yourself? How are you going to get by when the restaurant is slow? Do you understand how expensive utilities are for a commercial meter? Do you understand basic accounting principles? How will you get basic prep done while also cooking for the masses? Will you be able to keep your restaurant sanitary enough to pass a health inspection?

I have considered opening a restaurant in the past, but it is incredibly difficult to do so and actually make money. If you do it, you need, at the very least, a partner who will be able to shoulder some of the burden.

Lets break down every question.

I've got an idea on how to price the items I'm wanting to sell, just from past reference from George's Gyro's. I also wanna have daily specials where it's a dollar off a meal.

Like I've said a few times it's a small location (seating for 18). Though I would love to be in the position to worry about serving 50-70 people at a time thats probably never going to happen.

The restaurant will most certainly be slow at times, though I think my food will be better than George's so that may draw more people in...Like I've said in past discussions in this thread, I'm a simple man, money doesn't buy me happiness so I'll be able to "get by" on whatever I get.

For the next 2 questions. I don't but once I get an idea I'll be able to budget it accordingly.

Once again it's a small restaurant, there will be no masses.

I'm a bit of a neat freak so yes. All the stuff in the restaurant now are similar to what I've worked with and cleaned at the bowling alley.

A partner who has a basic understanding of accounting would be wise on my part obviously.

Yea managing the food operations part is one thing, handling the financial operations part is another thing. You'll have to worry about procurement, waste, accounting, etc, all of which adds a lot of time you may not initially think about. A partner would be very wise, especially one that could handle those type of duties.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
You missed the part where George retired to Greece. He sold George's Gyro's to some people who recently had to close down and now it's for sale. Since its literally 5 houses away from me I went to the new business a few times and the food was terrible and the customer service was equally terrible. No small talk and the guy barely spoke english, when you're right there in front of the customers the whole time I think you should at least attempt to engage in some kinda small talk and not just stand there.

When you're talking about "George's Gyros", are you talking about the place on Halsted in Bridgeport or is this some other George's?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
When you're talking about "George's Gyros", are you talking about the place on Halsted in Bridgeport or is this some other George's?

Naw this is in Hammond by St Margrets Hospital.

Now that I think about the hospital, thats another market I'd like to hit that wasn't utilized (as far as I know). Thinking about it, having 2 people working would be a plus because I'd offer delivery to the hospital. The area is pretty bad so the people from the hospital probably don't wanna walk the block down State Line to get there so by offering up free delivery that gives them incentive to order from us....The Police station is also 3 blocks away and I can offer the same thing.....Perhaps both at a discount.

I'm putting way too much thought into something thats not gonna happen but it's fun to think about.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Like I've said a few times it's a small location (seating for 18). Though I would love to be in the position to worry about serving 50-70 people at a time thats probably never going to happen.

18 sounds small but I don't think that's much smaller than the dining room of an average fast-food joint. I don't know how the place is set up but I'm imagining a counter where you order and pay for the food and then a handful of tables in the dining area.

If you do any kind of decent business at all, even getting half that amount of people just standing in line at the counter could be over-whelming for just one person depending on how large your menu is.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
18 sounds small but I don't think that's much smaller than the dining room of an average fast-food joint. I don't know how the place is set up but I'm imagining a counter where you order and pay for the food and then a handful of tables in the dining area.

If you do any kind of decent business at all, even getting half that amount of people just standing in line at the counter could be over-whelming for just one person depending on how large your menu is.

3 tables with 4 seats on each and then the counter has 6 stools. It's pretty bad location, I admit that, so I can't imagine it ever being tooooo packed but if it is being so close to the customer allows me to grab their order while cooking.

My food plan has always been fairly simple, a choice menu.

Offer your choice of chicken, pork, or beef.

Then what do you want it on, sandwich, tortillas, sliders, or "naked"...possibly a chilli option as well

Then what do you want on it, offer up some toppings.

and then what kind of sauce, offer up a few different sauces.

Simple yet complex menu.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Ok, this seems obvious to me...if you really have such a passion for this, why don't you try and get a job as a cook in one of these places in your neighborhood? Ask George and George's Gyros if he would give you 20 hours a week. He can train you to work in the kitchen and you can learn some of the ropes...that way you can get an idea of whether you really want to do this with your life instead of trying to own your own place with no experience.

Agreed. It sounds like you want to please people with your food. So do it. Be a cook. A chef. Get a job at a place like this, even a Subway to start. You said you don't need much money to be happy. You seem like one of those friendly but not annoying guys that serve you at a sandwich shop.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
and that makes you think you've got all the skills required to run a restaurant? grab some books and read up about it, talk to people who run restaurants. simply put: do your research and learn as much as you can!

then put together a proposal. then you can look for business partners. then you can attempt to get a loan. gotta crawl before you can run.

but i love the fact that you're passionate about this. with enough passion you can accomplish anything, but you gotta do it right. :)

Exactly. Great advice.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)

Exactly. Great advice.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)

True. Even a tiny diner ... you get a few different customers making orders and it's going to take a while. People don't have time to wait. I get irritated just waiting in line at Subway. I won't wait. I'll go eat somewhere else if there's too long a wait.

Why not just keep cooking at the bowling alley or somewhere like that? I'd assume with cooking skills you'll be able to find a job.

It almost sounds to me like you are an Andy Griffith fan and want to run some kind of old-town friendly diner where u cook great food and converse with the people. One guy can't do all that unless it's an unsuccessful place and hardly anybody comes in.

Since George's is available, either be aggressive in trying to find somebody to go in with you, or just take it slow and go get a job as a cook somewhere.

Even the tiniest of operations will have headaches. You gotta get those delicious toppings you described and keep them fresh. You have to keep the bathrooms pristine. You have to pass health inspections. Your food is not gonna taste so good if those tomatoes and lettuce aren't the freshest of fresh. Who's gonna do all that?

Most Sundays after church I go get the cheap, yet delicious bacon cheese burger and fries deal with a friend or two at a local bar. A mom and pop bar. The bartender like you is a decent enough cook. He puts it on the grill in front of us and cooks the fries in front of us has time to chat it up with us as we watch football. Sounds like that's the kind of chef you want to be. But he has other bartenders taking orders and serving beer and cokes and helping him out. Any food/drink operation is too tall for one person.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Agreed. It sounds like you want to please people with your food. So do it. Be a cook. A chef. Get a job at a place like this, even a Subway to start. You said you don't need much money to be happy. You seem like one of those friendly but not annoying guys that serve you at a sandwich shop.

Exactly. Great advice.

Exactly. Great advice.

True. Even a tiny diner ... you get a few different customers making orders and it's going to take a while. People don't have time to wait. I get irritated just waiting in line at Subway. I won't wait. I'll go eat somewhere else if there's too long a wait.

Why not just keep cooking at the bowling alley or somewhere like that? I'd assume with cooking skills you'll be able to find a job.

It almost sounds to me like you are an Andy Griffith fan and want to run some kind of old-town friendly diner where u cook great food and converse with the people. One guy can't do all that unless it's an unsuccessful place and hardly anybody comes in.

Since George's is available, either be aggressive in trying to find somebody to go in with you, or just take it slow and go get a job as a cook somewhere.

Even the tiniest of operations will have headaches. You gotta get those delicious toppings you described and keep them fresh. You have to keep the bathrooms pristine. You have to pass health inspections. Your food is not gonna taste so good if those tomatoes and lettuce aren't the freshest of fresh. Who's gonna do all that?

Most Sundays after church I go get the cheap, yet delicious bacon cheese burger and fries deal with a friend or two at a local bar. A mom and pop bar. The bartender like you is a decent enough cook. He puts it on the grill in front of us and cooks the fries in front of us has time to chat it up with us as we watch football. Sounds like that's the kind of chef you want to be. But he has other bartenders taking orders and serving beer and cokes and helping him out. Any food/drink operation is too tall for one person.

My whole thing with this place is I wanna be the one running it, I don't wanna be cooped up on a line making food getting little to no respect.

Stardust Bowl in Hammond closed down, I was there when they did. I cooked for a PBA event one year (Pete Weber loves Jalepeno poppers) and that's probably gonna be way more business than George's will ever get. The lines are the least of my worries, I'm a pretty composed fellow.

And for the other bold line, sadly that's kinda what it is. It's located on state line where you see a lot of prostitutes and such so a lot of people get scared away by the area. Though if what Tuna said in the gang thread awhile back is true then it's actually not a bad street because they gangs don't wanna "make the block hot". With that in mind if I can do what I said about offering free delivery to the hospital and police station then I can get a lot of business that way.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
My whole thing with this place is I wanna be the one running it, I don't wanna be cooped up on a line making food getting little to no respect.

Stardust Bowl in Hammond closed down, I was there when they did. I cooked for a PBA event one year (Pete Weber loves Jalepeno poppers) and that's probably gonna be way more business than George's will ever get. The lines are the least of my worries, I'm a pretty composed fellow.

And for the other bold line, sadly that's kinda what it is. It's located on state line where you see a lot of prostitutes and such so a lot of people get scared away by the area. Though if what Tuna said in the gang thread awhile back is true then it's actually not a bad street because they gangs don't wanna "make the block hot". With that in mind if I can do what I said about offering free delivery to the hospital and police station then I can get a lot of business that way.

Then make it happen. Find an investor on facebook before they tear the existing building down. How much money are you looking at? Just 30,000?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
Then make it happen. Find an investor on facebook before they tear the existing building down. How much money are you looking at? Just 30,000?

Lol just 30k like thats not a big deal.

I gave the number they have on the door a call with no answer, left them a message. Finding the money probably won't happen but I'm interested in seeing how much it's going for.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)
Lol just 30k like thats not a big deal.

I gave the number they have on the door a call with no answer, left them a message. Finding the money probably won't happen but I'm interested in seeing how much it's going for.

Come on now, you have to be willing to pay your dues. Who is going to give money to a guy to open a restaurant that has never done anything except cook frozen food at a bowling alley. I am not saying you couldn't do it, but unless there was a very wealthy family member around, it is going to be difficult for you to convince someone to invest their money in such a proposition.

Now, if you were to start cooking at a small place, due that for a few years, save up some money to perhaps get some culinary training, then move on to a job in a better restaurant, move up the totem pole there, go start as a chef at an established place, start putting that money aside, etc., etc...this is how people end up opening their own restaurants.

I think in the course of the last 6 months to a year, I have seen you go from security guard to Beachbody coach to sitting around at your friend's place freeloading weed, and now you are going to open your own restaurant with no money and no training.

You need to find something you enjoy and are good at, that has some sort of marketability to it, and start and the bottom and work your way up. Very seldom are things just handed out to anyone other than the very wealthy. And it doesn't sound like you are very wealthy.

I know a lot of people have tried to give you supportive messages in this thread, but you've got to put the work in and stick with it for awhile if you want to make it happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
Come on now, you have to be willing to pay your dues. Who is going to give money to a guy to open a restaurant that has never done anything except cook frozen food at a bowling alley. I am not saying you couldn't do it, but unless there was a very wealthy family member around, it is going to be difficult for you to convince someone to invest their money in such a proposition.

Now, if you were to start cooking at a small place, due that for a few years, save up some money to perhaps get some culinary training, then move on to a job in a better restaurant, move up the totem pole there, go start as a chef at an established place, start putting that money aside, etc., etc...this is how people end up opening their own restaurants.

I think in the course of the last 6 months to a year, I have seen you go from security guard to Beachbody coach to sitting around at your friend's place freeloading weed, and now you are going to open your own restaurant with no money and no training.

You need to find something you enjoy and are good at, that has some sort of marketability to it, and start and the bottom and work your way up. Very seldom are things just handed out to anyone other than the very wealthy. And it doesn't sound like you are very wealthy.

I know a lot of people have tried to give you supportive messages in this thread, but you've got to put the work in and stick with it for awhile if you want to make it happen.

This has just came up now because the location is 5 houses away and would be so convenient. I'm aware its just a pipe dream at the moment without the funds. It's just gotten blown up because I'm very passionate about it.

I know I make delicious food, from my dinner parties back in the day to cooking for my family and I love to do it. I feel like my menu idea that I posted earlier is a pretty solid plan.

This has all gotten overblown but I will continue to respond, and continue to believe that given the funds I would be successful. I'm pretty friggin stubborn when it comes to this.

As far as the real world goes I'm still looking for a security job. Thats what I enjoy and what I'm good at. I love the respect it brings and I love communicating with others. This restaurant thing would give me the same kinda respect and communication I'm after being the only or 1 of 2 guys there....This would be the same reason I've said I wanna run a food truck.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 06:28 AM)
Here she is.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15014571/55...Ave-Hammond-IN/

Now you guys can see what I mean by it being a small little place....Place has been open for 75 years.

where is hammond, ind? Is it south of chicago or ??

Let's us know what they want for the store/lot property. Where would you order the ingredients from?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
This has just came up now because the location is 5 houses away and would be so convenient. I'm aware its just a pipe dream at the moment without the funds. It's just gotten blown up because I'm very passionate about it.

I know I make delicious food, from my dinner parties back in the day to cooking for my family and I love to do it. I feel like my menu idea that I posted earlier is a pretty solid plan.

This has all gotten overblown but I will continue to respond, and continue to believe that given the funds I would be successful. I'm pretty friggin stubborn when it comes to this.

As far as the real world goes I'm still looking for a security job. Thats what I enjoy and what I'm good at. I love the respect it brings and I love communicating with others. This restaurant thing would give me the same kinda respect and communication I'm after being the only or 1 of 2 guys there....This would be the same reason I've said I wanna run a food truck.

and with that security job, what are you going to be doing 10 years from now?

if you had a line cook job, in ten years you could be running your own restaurant.

just something to think about.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
and with that security job, what are you going to be doing 10 years from now?

if you had a line cook job, in ten years you could be running your own restaurant.

just something to think about.

In my experience, that is the best way to get into any sort of managerial position within the restaurant industry. You work your way through a stabile and successful kitchen and prove your worth, and then you rinse, lather, and repeat.

If you can, get a job cooking at a bigger hotel. Your knowledge of food will expand exponentially, they're profitable enough that a lot of times the kitchens themselves will experiment and bring in different ingredients just for testing purposes, you'll always be busy, you'll continue to make money, and you'll make some more connections within the restaurant industry itself. I know you said you've worked at a bowling alley and that your food is delicious and all that jazz, but any and all diversifying is good.

And then, if you do open this and only have like 1 other employee, it means you don't get a vacation for years and years. And what happens if you get sick? You can't work because #1, it's health code violation and #2, people don't want to eat food prepared by a sick person. You won't be able to be back cooking whatsoever. Are you just gonna close up shop for the day? What if there's a family emergency or a funeral or a wedding? You have to be prepared in those situations.

While I like the general idea and appreciate your passion, you seriously need to sit down and come up with a rock solid business plan before taking any further steps. You will have to prove that you are qualified to not only cook, but to effectively manage the business, property, employees, and finances as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
While I like the general idea and appreciate your passion, you seriously need to sit down and come up with a rock solid business plan before taking any further steps. You will have to prove that you are qualified to not only cook, but to effectively manage the business, property, employees, and finances as well.

This is by far the best advice he can get right now (and multiple people have said it).

We're not trying to talk down to you or anything, but just trying to get you to plan a little bit. In an industry where only 10% succeed even after years of preparation, it's imperative to not just think everything through, but to think it, and then write it down into a business plan, then get it reviewed by multiple people, integrate their advice into your plan...and then repeat that same process a few more times.

Those are necessary steps. The only way you'll be able to tackle them successfully is by using the passion you've shown defending yourself these past several pages. While your passion could be negative in that it might get you to jump the gun a little bit, use it to your advantage to help guide you through each of these steps.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:37 AM)
where is hammond, ind? Is it south of chicago or ??

Let's us know what they want for the store/lot property. Where would you order the ingredients from?

As farmteam said I'm

There's a farmers market about 5 minutes away that I'd get most of my stuff from, though I believe its closed during the winter so that's something I'd have to look into. There's also a bakery right down the street where I'd like to get my buns and possibly Hawaiian rolls from. The chicken, beef, and pork is something I'd also have to look into.

As for everyone who has given me constructive criticism, don't think that because I have a rebuttal for it all that I don't really appreciate it because I do. Wite that was some solid advice esp. coming from someone who had looked into the same thing. The thing right now is that I wanna run this specific location since it's so close to me. As you can tell from the picture this isn't some upscale place.

As far as being sick goes, my immune system is awesome, I can't remember the last time I was sick. If I didn't start ditching class in high school I would have had perfect attendance from head start-high school. Now I know it's bound to happen someday and if it does hopefully my partner, if I every find one, would be able to handle it all while I'm out.

I worked for a restaurant that failed when I went to school. The reason it failed was because he purchased his groceries from the store rather than through a commercial food distribution center (such as Sysco or US Food Services). Getting products in through retail markets of any type is an incredibly expensive venture and can increase the cost of your food between 25% to 500%. There are situations few and far in between where it's profitable and wise to get food from secondary and smaller markets like that.

Delivery services are expensive too.

---

I could go on and on asking question after question but I'd be wasting my time. I'm about 99.9% sure I'll never eat there due to the distance between me and the spot, and I'm not going to invest. You need to ask yourself these and any and every possible question that someone could ask, and they have to be legitimate answers. Saying "I have an immune system which provides more protection than a Trojan condom and the Great Wall of China" doesn't count. You need a plan in place. You need set strategies, firm plans, a mission and vision statement, anything and everything. Talk to people who own and run restaurants during down times. Do research online. Do anything you can to learn how to run a business and a restaurant. You see a stat that says 10% of all restaurants make it and think that you have a shot to make it, but at this moment, just from reading and knowing your reaction, I would say that establishment, if you bought it by the end of the year, would have less than a 1% chance of succeeding, and I would say there would be a chance that you'd bankrupt/selling/closing down within 2013.

There are many, many, many venture capitalists that I've spoken with when I was in school who said that they only thing they would never, ever, ever invest in is a restaurant because of how often they fail.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to be real.

It seems he has the dream and the passion for cooking but isn't willing to simply get a job as a chef to learn the ropes and mingle with experienced people to make some contacts and learn how George's Giros might make it under his direction.

Second city, what's the hurry? You need a job and if you can cook, you can get a job I'd think at any of many places. Then you can learn the ins and outs of the food preparation business. One man running George's Gyros and ordering all the ingredients and doing all the cleaning of the stoves and floors and bathrooms and making sure everything is refrigerated and fresh and making sure your customers are satisfied ... it seems you'd need at least five people. No man can work every day of the calendar year cooking and taking care of all those duties.

And you even said you'd like to take orders from the hospital. Let's say some family visiting their dad at the hospital takes you up on it and you get 10 orders from one large family via phone. Just taking the orders via phone, making the orders during lunch hour (with other people wanting to be served) and getting all that done in a reasonable amount of time is a daunting task. The hospital is so close, what if one day you get 25 orders at lunch time and that day you happen to have five customers waiting in line wanting food.

You need at least a handful of people to have a shot at not having a heart attack the first month.

It seems to me you want a business to be run on your own terms. Enough customers to make a living, but not too many customers for one man to handle.

Can you imagine the hassles of not having enough beef one day whereas you can only serve chicken? I despise going to restaurants when they are out of certain things.

I think you could run the place as a one-man operation if you got 5 orders from the hospital per day, five customers during lunch hour, five customers during dinner hour. Would 15 orders a day be enough to pay the rent? What do you do if you get 100 orders one day and 2 the next?

Edited by greg775