Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
What would people wear for an interview conducted over Skype (university professor position)? I'll probably do shirt and tie, would people do more/less than that?

Wear one of those t-shirts that looks like a tuxedo. And nothing else.

Honestly, I would probably do business casual. Wearing a tie just to be on video seems a bit odd to me, but then again, so does the whole notion of an interview over Skype.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would people wear for an interview conducted over Skype (university professor position)? I'll probably do shirt and tie, would people do more/less than that?

do. not. wear. pants.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably way too late (I was out of town), but we have interviewed potential faculty over Skype. Usually, they wore what they'd wear on campus (shirt and tie or coat and tie).

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
Quick question to all out there. I have a job right now with a 5 minute commute and tons of flexibility. I'm looking at a position that would pay about 50% more, but include a train ride to the city, then the bus.

Worth it?

This is totally, 100% a personal judgment call about how much the extra time on the commute is worth to you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
This is totally, 100% a personal judgment call about how much the extra time on the commute is worth to you.

Yeah - I'm struggling with the decision. Comfort zone, set workout schedule, flexibility vs career goals. The latter will likely win out, but we'll see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Yeah - I'm struggling with the decision. Comfort zone, set workout schedule, flexibility vs career goals. The latter will likely win out, but we'll see.

Take the train. You can't hold yourself back at your age because you're afraid to make a little commute into the City.

Of course, this is coming from a psycho...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Take the train. You can't hold yourself back at your age because you're afraid to make a little commute into the City.

Of course, this is coming from a psycho...

It's reasons like these that I participate in such a well-structured, online community. ;)

I know I should stay career-oriented, I'm just being a b****. Add to that a couple other interviews coming up closer to home. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
It's reasons like these that I participate in such a well-structured, online community. ;)

I know I should stay career-oriented, I'm just being a b****. Add to that a couple other interviews coming up closer to home. We'll see what happens.

I feel you on the bus thing, but the train can actually be sort of relaxing and effective in the morning...you can ride in and sort of wake up or get your thoughts straight or review some notes before a morning meeting or whatever...I never really minded the morning commute...but the evening commute does wear on you a bit when you just want to get home and you're at the mercy of the public transportation system.

You're sure you couldn't grab the L once you get off the metra instead of a bus?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
You're sure you couldn't grab the L once you get off the metra instead of a bus?

Anytime but winter I could honestly walk it - it's a one mile walk north of Ogilvie. I'm mostly concerned with screwing up my admittedly awesome workout schedule in the morning and either having to switch to evenings or get up at 4:45 every day.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
Quick question to all out there. I have a job right now with a 5 minute commute and tons of flexibility. I'm looking at a position that would pay about 50% more, but include a train ride to the city, then the bus.

Worth it?

If the new job is equal/better in terms of enjoyment and motivation compared to your current job, worth it. If the commute is too much, that significantly higher salary becomes the starting point in negotiation for your next job.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
That being said, I am currently in the same predicament. As my current job lets me do whatever I want, but any sort of higher paying job would require me to actually be a work b****.

Maybe when I grow up :)

Exactly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)

Worth it?

This is exactly why I work in the city instead of at home. I made almost double what I could make it my hometown.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
Anytime but winter I could honestly walk it - it's a one mile walk north of Ogilvie. I'm mostly concerned with screwing up my admittedly awesome workout schedule in the morning and either having to switch to evenings or get up at 4:45 every day.

Once you get used to it, a mile walk isn't bad, even in the winter. Just layer up. I did it for a lot of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Once you get used to it, a mile walk isn't bad, even in the winter. Just layer up. I did it for a lot of years.

I'm mostly concerned with ruining my morning workout schedule, as stated. Just being stupid - we'll see.