Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm mostly concerned with ruining my morning workout schedule, as stated. Just being stupid - we'll see.

This is where it is not always so easy to get those workouts in...a lot of people are faced with this sort of thing and it certainly does complicate things more.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
This is where it is not always so easy to get those workouts in...a lot of people are faced with this sort of thing and it certainly does complicate things more.

There is an XSport close to this proposed position, so I'm sure I'd figure it out. A comfort zone is certainly a place hard to leave, but it's hard to grow in a comfort zone.

There is a FFC right across from Ogilvie. If you are already a morning person there is very little reason not to work in the city (except for the time lost to commute) But if you are being paid 50% more, 2 hours a day commute is economically worth it.

Especially as you can buy new toys for the train.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm mostly concerned with ruining my morning workout schedule, as stated. Just being stupid - we'll see.

I don't think you're being stupid, I think it's a tough decision. Money isn't everything - lifestyle, downtime/flexibility, commute are huge factors. Depends how much you want more money and/or need the money, plus how much the 50% raise is.

Another thing to keep in mind is your wife's schedule and any sort of family schedule when you have a kid.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't think you're being stupid, I think it's a tough decision. Money isn't everything - lifestyle, downtime/flexibility, commute are huge factors. Depends how much you want more money and/or need the money, plus how much the 50% raise is.

Another thing to keep in mind is your wife's schedule and any sort of family schedule when you have a kid.

I think it is more about advancing his career than the money.

I'm not sure, but I think Steve is around 30 and no kids? That's not the time to be afraid to step outside of his comfort zone...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

I'm not sure, but I think Steve is around 30 and no kids? That's not the time to be afraid to step outside of his comfort zone...

True he wants career advancement, but the first post he made simply said 50% increase, so it has to be a huge factor. After all, you usually advance your career to make more money. So it all comes back to that.

I'm not saying what I'd do in this situation, but I don't think it's a slam-dunk.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
True he wants career advancement, but the first post he made simply said 50% increase, so it has to be a huge factor. After all, you usually advance your career to make more money. So it all comes back to that.

I'm not saying what I'd do in this situation, but I don't think it's a slam-dunk.

Yeah, people certainly value things differently.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is kids (I think you've said before you guys are close to starting a family). If your commute suddenly increased by an hour each way, that's less time with the little one. They go to bed early, so if you're stuck commuting home until 7 you don't get much time with him/her. Something to consider anyways.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is kids (I think you've said before you guys are close to starting a family). If your commute suddenly increased by an hour each way, that's less time with the little one. They go to bed early, so if you're stuck commuting home until 7 you don't get much time with him/her. Something to consider anyways.

You also have to be able to afford to have them (as I am sure you are very well-aware) :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

I turn 30 in 19 days and we haven't popped out a child yet. The other issue is that I've cast a wide net and another position I like that is about a 15 minute drive is in the early stages of interviewing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
I turn 30 in 19 days and we haven't popped out a child yet. The other issue is that I've cast a wide net and another position I like that is about a 15 minute drive is in the early stages of interviewing.

Any idea if it is a similar increase in pay?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
It's looking mid to late next week for decision time. It's a very intriguing company.

I'm assuming you mean for their decision, not yours?

If so, maybe their process will drag out a little bit, or you could stall a bit if you're offered the position...but it would be pretty risky to pass on that one for the hopes of getting the one located closer nearby...but if you're confident...

• 3 months later...

Figured this was as good a place as any to ask this. A customer of mine throws a company golf outing for their employees every year. They ask vendors to provide prizes and/or donations for a raffle and door prizes. In the past, we always just sent them a check for a couple hundred bucks. This year I was thinking about donating a pair of our Bears tickets to one game, but I am debating two issues in my head. It's a manufacturing company, so I'd bet the majority of employees are blue collar factory/warehouse workers.

1. Not sure which games I will have available. Would it look bad on us if we gave tickets to a preseason game instead of a regular season game?

2. The seats are near the very top of the 400 level at the goal line. IMO, the view is fine (as most seats in the stadium), but you gotta hike up 30+ rows to get up there. Is the allure of free Bears tickets worth the fact that the tickets aren't premium? A bit worried someone would say, "ABC company provided these Bears tickets, but the seats were s***ty as hell!"

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 10, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
You're providing things for free...they should be happy with any pair of Bears tickets you provide.

That's what I was thinking too, but people get greedy out there, lol. And like ss2k's comment, the clientle I am dealing is one that would be appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...

This kind of applies to this thread so guess I'll post and see what you all think.

Couldn't find a job out of college but also been unemployed for 2 years because went down to Carbondale and had money saved so didn't need to work to pay for everyday needs. So I ended up taking an entry level job at a warehouse making $11 an hour with the plan to search for better jobs in the meantime.

Anyway, after a couple months they demoted my old manager to entry level brought in a new guy and after 2 months fired him. I have been promoted to the position of manager since his firing. My first full week on the job corporate came to town and all agreed pretty much in one week I had accomplished more than the last guy in 2 months.

This Tuesday my boss discussed what I'd be paid for the position and told me for time being starting June 7th I'd only be getting a 2$ dollar raise followed by a 60 day evaluation period where it will be discussed what they think I deserve to make based on results but wouldn't give me an idea of what that'd be. My problem is he knows I turned down a 15$ an hour job because I was promised this position and I have a pretty good idea the position should roughly pay in the 40k range which makes 13$ an hour pretty insulting IMO.

What would you all do in this situation, I'm debating telling him making it 15$ or I take the other job offer because it seems like they plan to lowball me in the long run and it has really rubbed me the wrong way especially for time being I've been doing all the work from my old job ontop of adding responsibilities of manager.