Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions about moving jobs. (May the thread title should be changed to "ALL THINGS ABOUT JOBS") I know that moving from job to job to job looks bad on a resume. My question to the members (and I know this is subjective) but when it is the right time to make the move and the right time to stay put? Let's say you're a single bachelor making decisions. How does one play it?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Questions about moving jobs. (May the thread title should be changed to "ALL THINGS ABOUT JOBS") I know that moving from job to job to job looks bad on a resume. My question to the members (and I know this is subjective) but when it is the right time to make the move and the right time to stay put? Let's say you're a single bachelor making decisions. How does one play it?

Nowhere near enough information. For me, I'm "looking" only at perfect opportunities. I've been with my current company for 5+ years, and the location is ideal and the job is solid, but the opportunities for next-level just aren't there. I've gone as far as I can go here.

That said, if you are worth more than you're making you should be looking, but if you have been jumping around (how much?) then it could really bite you in the ass. We all have to worry about being employable into our 60s at least, and every step is a permanent highlight or blotch on the resume.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Kick some ass and buy Soxtalk from me. Then you can post rumors about Drose's return in October on here!!!

I will buy it for $5 and name myself moderator overlord and remove the swear filter.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Nowhere near enough information. For me, I'm "looking" only at perfect opportunities. I've been with my current company for 5+ years, and the location is ideal and the job is solid, but the opportunities for next-level just aren't there. I've gone as far as I can go here.

That said, if you are worth more than you're making you should be looking, but if you have been jumping around (how much?) then it could really bite you in the ass. We all have to worry about being employable into our 60s at least, and every step is a permanent highlight or blotch on the resume.

Nice! Best of luck Steve! What do you do again?

I've been a temp worker jumping from assignment to assignment so I'm not sure how many blotches I have on my resume in that regard. I've been offered perm positions but I hated the assignment so I balked. However, I have had this perm job pushing a year now but I'm just looking for something else. I'm realistic and not looking for a utopia but I have a clear idea of in my industry of what I need to be doing to get to where I want to get. I know once I find that place, I"ll be sticking around a long time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2013 -> 11:47 PM)
Try to get the $15, settle for the $13 if you can't get it, and then leave them on the first chance you get while making it clear that you would still be there if they hadn't screwed you.

Amen. Excellent advice. Bastards.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
How'd it go yesterday?

Extremely well, unfortunately there will be a two-week wait as the other two jamokes they are interviewing are scheduled out that far. I'm pessimistic when it comes to this type of stuff, and I'd be shocked if I don't get an offer.

That said. Who the f knows when it comes to interviewing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Extremely well, unfortunately there will be a two-week wait as the other two jamokes they are interviewing are scheduled out that far. I'm pessimistic when it comes to this type of stuff, and I'd be shocked if I don't get an offer.

Yeah interviewing sucks. I have had two interviews I thought went really well and I didn't get the jobs and then one that I thought could have been so much better and I received an offer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)

Well good luck...keep us posted!

It what can only be described as out of the blue, last Tuesday I received a call to interview for a job I never applied for. They got my number from a former co-worker who had just accepted a job there and they felt I was a good fit for a position they were hiring. I interviewed Friday morning and received an offer before I left the building. Clearly they want me, and have bent over backwards to make changes so I would accept the offer.

Everyone around me thinks it's a great opportunity and something I would enjoy, and it gets me out of a job I'm not really to keen about (but I tolerate it).

All that being said, something just doesnt sit right with me, I cant explain it. I feel like I should/would like the job, it strikes me as something I would like to do, but my head is churning and churning, and I just cant get over that it doesnt feel right.

grrr.... this is frustrating.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
It what can only be described as out of the blue, last Tuesday I received a call to interview for a job I never applied for. They got my number from a former co-worker who had just accepted a job there and they felt I was a good fit for a position they were hiring. I interviewed Friday morning and received an offer before I left the building. Clearly they want me, and have bent over backwards to make changes so I would accept the offer.

Everyone around me thinks it's a great opportunity and something I would enjoy, and it gets me out of a job I'm not really to keen about (but I tolerate it).

All that being said, something just doesnt sit right with me, I cant explain it. I feel like I should/would like the job, it strikes me as something I would like to do, but my head is churning and churning, and I just cant get over that it doesnt feel right.

grrr.... this is frustrating.

Well, is it more pay? Does it offer more opportunity for advancement? Is the commute farther or shorter? Sometimes when someone actually comes after us, instead of vice versa (whether it be a girl, or someone wanting to buy your house, or offer you a job) it just doesn't quite seem right, because it isn't necessarily how things normally go...but try to take that part out of the equation and consider the opportunity as if it were one you might have pursued...or would you have pursued it at all?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Well, is it more pay? Does it offer more opportunity for advancement? Is the commute farther or shorter? Sometimes when someone actually comes after us, instead of vice versa (whether it be a girl, or someone wanting to buy your house, or offer you a job) it just doesn't quite seem right, because it isn't necessarily how things normally go...but try to take that part out of the equation and consider the opportunity as if it were one you might have pursued...or would you have pursued it at all?

It's same pay, advancement... dont think there really is any, commute will be slightly longer.

It's probably not something I woul dhave pursued.

The crux of the issue, as best as I can figure out, is that I feel I am ideally fit for a specific kind of job. But the job I am looking for a very rare or hard to find. It's kind of a niche. And, this job isnt it. But, the problem is that do I hold out in hopes of maybe finding that job, or take a job that I feel is less ideal, but something I know I could do.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

If this isn't a job you would have pursued, you don't feel it advances your career, or you don't end up getting paid more or have more free time, then don't take it.

Unlike other jobs, if they actually pursued you, you have leverage in this situation to ask for more money, so maybe that's something you do. "This is a situation where the costs of moving on to a new job outweigh the benefits of taking the job, so even though I feel I would embrace the opportunity, it is simply not worth it to me at this point." If they are truly THAT interested in you, give them the number it would take to sign you on, and go from there.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
If this isn't a job you would have pursued, you don't feel it advances your career, or you don't end up getting paid more or have more free time, then don't take it.

Unlike other jobs, if they actually pursued you, you have leverage in this situation to ask for more money, so maybe that's something you do. "This is a situation where the costs of moving on to a new job outweigh the benefits of taking the job, so even though I feel I would embrace the opportunity, it is simply not worth it to me at this point." If they are truly THAT interested in you, give them the number it would take to sign you on, and go from there.

Yeah, I would tell them you are flattered with their offer, but it just doesn't provide enough incentive to make a change at this point. You wouldn't want to accept an opportunity that you weren't extremely excited about at this time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)

Apparently there's a next round of interviews to meet with a VP as well as the hiring manager again. I have a weird feeling that this is to get approval to hire me. We shall see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
Apparently there's a next round of interviews to meet with a VP as well as the hiring manager again. I have a weird feeling that this is to get approval to hire me. We shall see.

Did they schedule the interview with you yet?

Got a call for a phone interview while on vacation last week. To prepare for the interview, I always go on to the company website to review info about the company and to review my application. Among other things, I noticed that this application asked for a salary range.

30 minutes into the interview, the interviewer is clearly very interested in me and quotes me the salary range for the position. The top of her range is a full 20% less than the bottom of my range. I asked her if she happened to read the part of my application where I provided my salary range. She said yes, but she was hoping that I was "flexible". I asked her if she'd ever encountered a candidate that was "flexible" by as much as 20%. She said she wasn't sure.

Very frustrating.