Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

Does one really even need to put things like "fluent" in this, or "expert" in that? I feel like there is so much bulls*** in resumes these days that it's better to just concisely explain your qualifications/experience.

I always try to think about a resume from the hiring manager's perspective. He wants to see you have the qualifications/skillset/experience he's looking for, and doesn't necessarily give a s*** how many "buzz" words you use.

I go for clear, concise and clean rather than trying to blow them away with my fluency in Excel and 3 foreign languages. This approach usually lands an interview and then I try to make the real impression I'm trying to make at that time.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Does one really even need to put things like "fluent" in this, or "expert" in that? I feel like there is so much bulls*** in resumes these days that it's better to just concisely explain your qualifications/experience.

I always try to think about a resume from the hiring manager's perspective. He wants to see you have the qualifications/skillset/experience he's looking for, and doesn't necessarily give a s*** how many "buzz" words you use.

I go for clear, concise and clean rather than trying to blow them away with my fluency in Excel and 3 foreign languages. This approach usually lands an interview and then I try to make the real impression I'm trying to make at that time.

I tend to agree, but it really depends on the style that the recruiter/manager likes. Some like the shiny Corvette style that is all show but isn't practical, others can see through it.

For me personally, I know that I don't necessarily want to work for a company that can't see through the clear bulls***, so if they can't see through something that clear on a resume why would I really want to work for them anyways.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I've heard it is important to tailor a cover letter specific to the company/position one is applying for. How much customizing are we talking here? "Insert Company Name Here" or rewrite a new cover letter per job?

Personally, I have a "basic" cover letter that I make alterations based on the specifics of the job.

For example: My basic IT cover letter talks about my experience with various systems and software as well as some of the duties I perform at my current job. When I applied for a job that included an audio/visual component of the job, I made sure I highlighted my experience with similar software that they said I would be using (audio and video editing software).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)

I never include stuff like that. I do list what software and systems I have experience with, but I never differentiate which I am an "expert" at.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

My wife and I had talked about moving to Florida in 2014 or 2015. I got the thumbs up from her that we can go at our earliest convenience. So, I am stepping up my Florida job hunt!! :) I am trying to stay in the academic IT (grade school-college) area since I have really grown to love working in that environment.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I never include stuff like that. I do list what software and systems I have experience with, but I never differentiate which I am an "expert" at.

Exactly what I do, it shows that you have some form of knowledge of the software/program but gives you leeway at the same time.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
So I have started looking for a job as I'm graduating with a BS in the IT field in May.

I've been following this thread for the last few pages now. There's some good info here, thanks guys.

With that said I've got a few questions.

I've heard it is important to tailor a cover letter specific to the company/position one is applying for. How much customizing are we talking here? "Insert Company Name Here" or rewrite a new cover letter per job?

I've also heard the same for a resume, however seeing as how I'm a new graduate with a variety of experience in the IT field, how much customizing is needed for my resume?

The age old IT conundrum...the problem with the IT industry is experience trumps education...always has, and this is a problem. You will often see IT jobs go to people without degrees, simply because they knew the right person to give the hands on experience.

I've never used a cover letter, but I can see why some companies may feel they set people aside that take the time to bother tailoring them. Starting in IT, I always recommend going through a recruiter that has an inside track on the jobs in question. The last few jobs I got in the IT industry were through recruiters who often get you interviews without the need of cover letters. Many companies, such as mine, used recruiters to fill positions, and often went with who recruiters sent their way vs people sending blind resumes for their public job postings.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Exactly what I do, it shows that you have some form of knowledge of the software/program but gives you leeway at the same time.

This is exactly right way to go about it. Especially in the IT industry, where many employers are happy that you've had exposure to a particular piece of hardware or software, and don't necessarily need you to be a self proclaimed "expert".

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 02:12 AM)
For your resume you may want to highlight more technical experience that you may have, or project experience, etc. If you are going for a consulting position you may want to include a section based on that, such as case competitions etc.

Good to hear, this is actually the way my resume is set up as of now. I actually started working in the field in high school and through college (started with real basic duties and worked my way up) so that's where all my job history is at.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Personally, I have a "basic" cover letter that I make alterations based on the specifics of the job.

For example: My basic IT cover letter talks about my experience with various systems and software as well as some of the duties I perform at my current job. When I applied for a job that included an audio/visual component of the job, I made sure I highlighted my experience with similar software that they said I would be using (audio and video editing software).

Alright, thanks for the info. I have yet to create a cover letter so I'm sure it won't hurt to make one. Especially since I see many employers with a cover letter submission in addition to the resume submission.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
The age old IT conundrum...the problem with the IT industry is experience trumps education...always has, and this is a problem. You will often see IT jobs go to people without degrees, simply because they knew the right person to give the hands on experience.

I've never used a cover letter, but I can see why some companies may feel they set people aside that take the time to bother tailoring them. Starting in IT, I always recommend going through a recruiter that has an inside track on the jobs in question. The last few jobs I got in the IT industry were through recruiters who often get you interviews without the need of cover letters. Many companies, such as mine, used recruiters to fill positions, and often went with who recruiters sent their way vs people sending blind resumes for their public job postings.

You know the problem I'm seeing looking for jobs at the moment? Basically all of the positions available are way above an entry level and even beyond new grads with years of experience like me. I see so many positions for "Senior x" and "Architect x" yet almost none for lower positions. Heck even those mid-level positions have so many "requirements" that just make me wonder how someone can be established in everything they're looking for. I do my best and apply for positions that I most closely meet the requirements for. Rarely do I see any that I satisfy all of the requirements for, and those are usually positions that I don't necessarily want.

How do you get in contact with these recruiters? I assume these are recruiters that work for employers searching for candidates to fill empty positions.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
How do you get in contact with these recruiters? I assume these are recruiters that work for employers searching for candidates to fill empty positions.

Check out Addison search or google Chicago IT recruiters, etc. Some are pretty good, and you don't have much to lose. They have an incentive to not only get you a job, but paid a much as possible as they get a commission based on how much you are offered so long as you remain working there for at least six months. This can also help network for you, as if you proove to be a bankable commodity to them, they will come to you with job opportunities even if you weren't looking, which can often lead to better and better jobs.

You can also look into temping agencies for entry level positions, which can help you get some experience.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
The last few jobs I got in the IT industry were through recruiters who often get you interviews without the need of cover letters. Many companies, such as mine, used recruiters to fill positions, and often went with who recruiters sent their way vs people sending blind resumes for their public job postings.

Same with me although with my first job the recruiter actually found me. I applied for one job and she called me and told me that position was no longer open but there was a position with another company that she knew about if I wanted to apply for it instead.

The job I have now I found through a former co-worker.

I've filled out 100's of applications both online and in person and gotten a few interviews but that's all. Knowing somebody is definitely the key.

Job interview this afternoon. I usually try to wear something just a step more formal than is required for the position on a daily basis. Our company is fairly casual as far as businesses go. Daily dress would be nice pants and a nice button down, but mostly no tie. So for the interview, I was thinking of wearing a shirt and tie, with a cardigan....sort of a modern look, but not so formal as a suit.

What do you guys think, is a suit is the way to go, or can I go with something a little less formal?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Job interview this afternoon. I usually try to wear something just a step more formal than is required for the position on a daily basis. Our company is fairly casual as far as businesses go. Daily dress would be nice pants and a nice button down, but mostly no tie. So for the interview, I was thinking of wearing a shirt and tie, with a cardigan....sort of a modern look, but not so formal as a suit.

What do you guys think, is a suit is the way to go, or can I go with something a little less formal?

It all depends on what you think you can pull off. I've shown up to interviews in a suit more suited for "partying", and in street cloths. For the record, I landed both gigs.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
It all depends on what you think you can pull off. I've shown up to interviews in a suit more suited for "partying", and in street cloths. For the record, I landed both gigs.

Well, I work for the company already, so it's not like I am some guy off the street. They know I am a responsible, hard-working employee, which is mainly what you're trying to convey when you wear a suit to an interview. For the last position I interviewed for a few months back, I just wore khakis and a wool sweater, and I did get the offer, but this is a bit more high-profile position.

I just hate showing up in a fancy suit for a job where you're not going to even wear a tie on a daily basis...I view it sort of the same way I view the resume...it's just pretending to be something you aren't. I dunno...I am a bit torn here though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Well, I work for the company already, so it's not like I am some guy off the street. They know I am a responsible, hard-working employee, which is mainly what you're trying to convey when you wear a suit to an interview. For the last position I interviewed for a few months back, I just wore khakis and a wool sweater, and I did get the offer, but this is a bit more high-profile position.

I just hate showing up in a fancy suit for a job where you're not going to even wear a tie on a daily basis...I view it sort of the same way I view the resume...it's just pretending to be something you aren't. I dunno...I am a bit torn here though.

I'd recommend dressing a bit nicer than normal, but I wouldn't go full on suit for this...considering they already know you and work with you.

Last job before this one, I showed up on a Friday afternoon in jeans and a Sox jersey. In a waiting room with a few guys wearing suits... :D

I got the job. :D Oh, and the interviewer(s) were die hard Detroit fans, they said they were amused by my guts to wear that to the interview after the fact. One of the interviewers loved me...said I'd be the perfect fit, since I knew the job and had an amusing personality...the other (a girl) said she hated me, because I was a cocky son of a b****, but still thought I'd fit in good in an office full of cocky son of a b****es (like herself). We later ended up liking each other quite a bit and were pretty flirtatious. So like I said, it's all in what you think you can pull off.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
I'd recommend dressing a bit nicer than normal, but I wouldn't go full on suit for this...considering they already know you and work with you.

Last job before this one, I showed up on a Friday afternoon in jeans and a Sox jersey. In a waiting room with a few guys wearing suits... :D

I got the job. :D Oh, and the interviewer(s) were die hard Detroit fans, they said they were amused by my guts to wear that to the interview after the fact. One of the interviewers loved me...said I'd be the perfect fit, since I knew the job and had an amusing personality...the other (a girl) said she hated me, because I was a cocky son of a b****, but still thought I'd fit in good in an office full of cocky son of a b****es (like herself). We later ended up liking each other quite a bit. So like I said, it's all in what you think you can pull off.

Thanks Y2HH...I think we are sort of on the same plane here...doing something to differentiate yourself from the other candidates helps a bit I think.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Thanks Y2HH...I think we are sort of on the same plane here...doing something to differentiate yourself from the other candidates helps a bit I think.

Well, I'd love to say I had the guts to do that again (showing up to a job interview in jeans and a baseball jersey), but I can't say I ever have...I don't know what it was that day that I did it, either, because it's not something I'd consider doing again. That time, though...I just felt like, "You know what...f*** it...they're gonna get the real me this time and if I don't get the job, I don't care." That attitude probably helped me land that job, too...which is the funniest part.

But I think what your considering doing it probably right. Why fake it when they already know your real personality? All that can possibly do is tell them you're desperate, which isn't something I'd personally want to convey in a job interview for a promotion...

Edited by Y2HH

Got another job interview...all these applications are finally starting to pay off, because this one is legitimate. I will be interviewing to be a salesman at a furniture store. Not sexy, but it's better than a part-time gig (which I did get, just have to fill out some paperwork, and it's a nice fallback option).

My question is how should I prepare for the interview? I'm assuming they'll ask about my experience, so I'll tell them about any that I have, which is very little, and that there will be some sort of demonstration where I have to sell some fake furniture, but is there anything else I should be considering?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Got another job interview...all these applications are finally starting to pay off, because this one is legitimate. I will be interviewing to be a salesman at a furniture store. Not sexy, but it's better than a part-time gig (which I did get, just have to fill out some paperwork, and it's a nice fallback option).

My question is how should I prepare for the interview? I'm assuming they'll ask about my experience, so I'll tell them about any that I have, which is very little, and that there will be some sort of demonstration where I have to sell some fake furniture, but is there anything else I should be considering?

I'd know a lot of details about the company. Know the brands they carry. Visit their website. Know if they're in one city, a lot of cities, etc. If you happen to be able to drop a random corporate detail during the interview, it can't hurt, as long as it's correct. If you can find out what selling points they use beforehand, learn them (i.e. if you go for an interview into an Ethan Allen store, don't spend your time focusing on price cuts, sell based on quality first and second).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
I'd know a lot of details about the company. Know the brands they carry. Visit their website. Know if they're in one city, a lot of cities, etc. If you happen to be able to drop a random corporate detail during the interview, it can't hurt, as long as it's correct. If you can find out what selling points they use beforehand, learn them (i.e. if you go for an interview into an Ethan Allen store, don't spend your time focusing on price cuts, sell based on quality first and second).

These are excellent suggestions. In addition to this, they will also be looking at how you dress and your personality. In how you dress, make sure you are comfortable looking. Remember, uncomfortable looking people are uncomfortable for customers to talk too. Just as importantly, your personality will be on display here...salespeople have to have a likable quality to them...or again, they're annoying to talk too.

The interview seemed to go really well. The store manager seemed to really like me, while the GM of the franchise itself was sort of on the fence. The problem I'm faced with at this point is that he (the store manager) made it seem like this was a career choice and not a stepping stone to another job. Most of it is commission based, as you'd expect, but he said the worst anybody in the store made was $45k, and the top person made $80k. My problem isn't with that, but is instead that it is expected that this would be a career choice and I don't really want to live here 5 months from now, let alone 5 years. Perhaps it was idealistic of me to assume that this would be a stepping stone kind of job.

I think I would like the job, but I don't know that my heart would be in it knowing that I'd want to leave in 5 months anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
The interview seemed to go really well. The store manager seemed to really like me, while the GM of the franchise itself was sort of on the fence. The problem I'm faced with at this point is that he (the store manager) made it seem like this was a career choice and not a stepping stone to another job. Most of it is commission based, as you'd expect, but he said the worst anybody in the store made was $45k, and the top person made $80k. My problem isn't with that, but is instead that it is expected that this would be a career choice and I don't really want to live here 5 months from now, let alone 5 years. Perhaps it was idealistic of me to assume that this would be a stepping stone kind of job.

I think I would like the job, but I don't know that my heart would be in it knowing that I'd want to leave in 5 months anyways.

Just do it. They might get mad if you don't stay for your career, but it is a start for you and you'll be able to get some sales experience and practice and can apply that wherever you go in your future.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

And?? Don't tell them it's not a career to you, and just a stepping stone...that's not their business, it's your business because it's your life. Use the job as the stepping stone you expected it to be, and do the absolute best you can while you work there (if you end up working there)...that's life in business world. Whatever this company is, keep in mind that it's just a job...you work for witesoxfan inc., period, end of story.