Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
And?? Don't tell them it's not a career to you, and just a stepping stone...that's not their business, it's your business because it's your life. Use the job as the stepping stone you expected it to be, and do the absolute best you can while you work there (if you end up working there)...that's life in business world. Whatever this company is, keep in mind that it's just a job...you work for witesoxfan inc., period, end of story.

I agree with this. Use the job how you want to. Of course the company wouldn't wan't you to think of the job as only a stepping stone. That would be bad for their business. There is no job out there where the company sees their own company as a stepping stone for their employees.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. No offense to anyone who might sell furniture for a living, but most furniture stores are not going to be luring in the top sales talent or the most successful individuals in the workforce. A place like this is where future successful salesmen might go to sharpen their skills, get their start, etc. And this store is well-aware of that. They are just trying to avoid you thinking you can work there for 6 months and then jet off to some pharmaceutical sales company or the like. But honestly, this is the point at the arc of someone's career where such a job seems acceptable, and they know it, and you know it.

Do what you need to do for yourself, Blake, and let them worry about their turnover rate. Do you think they're going to worry about you or others when Corporate says they need to lay off 25% of their sales staff? Hell no.

Went to the job fair today and targeted two organizations I might be interested in working for whether it be the work or the mission statement of the organization. Hy-Vee would like to have a phone interview with me to go over available openings and determine if I am a fit for their organization. The organization that kept my attention today was that of Red Frog, which promotes, markets and plans different running events. It seems like the company culture is a lot like Google, has a lot of nice perks and a decent salary. I bet that it, like Groupon, might be a bit difficult to get into but that doesn't mean I am not going to try.

EDIT: Congratulations on the job, Wite.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
The interview seemed to go really well. The store manager seemed to really like me, while the GM of the franchise itself was sort of on the fence. The problem I'm faced with at this point is that he (the store manager) made it seem like this was a career choice and not a stepping stone to another job. Most of it is commission based, as you'd expect, but he said the worst anybody in the store made was $45k, and the top person made $80k. My problem isn't with that, but is instead that it is expected that this would be a career choice and I don't really want to live here 5 months from now, let alone 5 years. Perhaps it was idealistic of me to assume that this would be a stepping stone kind of job.

I think I would like the job, but I don't know that my heart would be in it knowing that I'd want to leave in 5 months anyways.

Don't feel guilty at all. The odds are that they manager is lying to you about how much people made last year.

I have an interview with Boeing next week... I don't need advice on general preparation as I've been through a few interviews in the last year, but was wondering if anyone had any specific knowledge of their interview process or anything interesting about the company I should know.

I doubt I'll get an answer, but just thought I'd ask...

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
I have an interview with Boeing next week... I don't need advice on general preparation as I've been through a few interviews in the last year, but was wondering if anyone had any specific knowledge of their interview process or anything interesting about the company I should know.

Fot what position? And where? As much detail as you can give me would help, because I/we work with Boeing daily - not corp, but elsewhere...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Fot what position? And where? As much detail as you can give me would help, because I/we work with Boeing daily - not corp, but elsewhere...

Position: Supply Chain Management Analyst

Position Description

Applies change and planning decisions to arrive at optimal solutions. Applies Supply Chain Management (SCM) methodologies to ensure coordination in the supply chain. Coordinates with company customer support representatives, contract administration, purchasing, engineering, quality assurance, traffic, warehousing, suppliers and customers. Incorporates Bills of Material (BOM) and schedules into a production plan. Coordinates part number attributes. Verifies the released engineering BOM has been correctly implemented in the material planning system. Releases and maintains orders. Documents and resolves order delinquencies. Reports schedule adherence issues. Applies developed solutions to inventory plans. Analyzes and dispositions excess and obsolete inventories. Creates schedules for products and services. Coordinates and supports process improvements.

Not sure if this will help, but this is what I got from their job site. Thanks, Kap.

One of my best friends got a job with boeing right out of college last summer. It's a great company with GREAT pay to start. If you want me to ask him about the interview process I can do that as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
One of my best friends got a job with boeing right out of college last summer. It's a great company with GREAT pay to start. If you want me to ask him about the interview process I can do that as well.

If you don't mind, that would be great. Anything he might have to say would be appreciated.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Went to the job fair today and targeted two organizations I might be interested in working for whether it be the work or the mission statement of the organization. Hy-Vee would like to have a phone interview with me to go over available openings and determine if I am a fit for their organization. The organization that kept my attention today was that of Red Frog, which promotes, markets and plans different running events. It seems like the company culture is a lot like Google, has a lot of nice perks and a decent salary. I bet that it, like Groupon, might be a bit difficult to get into but that doesn't mean I am not going to try.

Don't congratulate yet, it was just an interview.

And that was the most informal interview I could have ever imagined. Cut right to the chase, no BSing, nothing. It was wild.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)

I have a friend who work for Red Frog. She gets to travel all over the world and plan fun events. She loves it there, and it does sound like an awesome job with some great perks.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Position: Supply Chain Management Analyst

Not sure if this will help, but this is what I got from their job site. Thanks, Kap.

That's who we do business with the most (STL). Of course, we're dealing with procurement mostly (buyers)... so what you are doing will dovetail in a little with what we deal with.

Actually, I could probably ask our buyer for some insight into the process. She's pretty cool to work with.

The biggest part of the interview - you'll get the standard "tell me when..." BS type of questions (difficulties and how you overcame them, etc.) and you'll get the systems questions... but for supply chain, if you can give them some concrete examples of anything you've done of routings and saving money in a supply chain, or any ideas about how you negotiate, that's extremely important for supply chain and materials management. So, in your experiences, relate it to those types of things - even if you've got little "real world" experiences, negotiation and dealing with people and how you can relate it to how you can be super organized will be the key. (Forgive me, I can't remember - I think you're just coming out of school, right? I'd answer this a bit differently if not.)

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
That's who we do business with the most (STL). Of course, we're dealing with procurement mostly (buyers)... so what you are doing will dovetail in a little with what we deal with.

Actually, I could probably ask our buyer for some insight into the process. She's pretty cool to work with.

The biggest part of the interview - you'll get the standard "tell me when..." BS type of questions (difficulties and how you overcame them, etc.) and you'll get the systems questions... but for supply chain, if you can give them some concrete examples of anything you've done of routings and saving money in a supply chain, or any ideas about how you negotiate, that's extremely important for supply chain and materials management. So, in your experiences, relate it to those types of things - even if you've got little "real world" experiences, negotiation and dealing with people and how you can relate it to how you can be super organized will be the key. (Forgive me, I can't remember - I think you're just coming out of school, right? I'd answer this a bit differently if not.)

Okay, so let me preface this by saying I made a mistake about which job I'm interviewing for. I applied for two (the one I mentioned above and a Procurement Agent). Well, when they called and mentioned the "Supply Chain job" I applied for, I assumed that they meant the "Supply Chain Analyst" position I referenced above. Turns out it is actually for the Procurement Agent position, but it's in Seattle not St. Louis.

Not sure how much that changes your answer b/c it sounds like you'd be better off discussing their procurement jobs but it's not in STL (where you most business).

Also, I am just coming out school (graduate in May), but I took off a whole semester last Spring and did a full-time Co-op with General Electric. They kept me on full-time through the summer and part-time last Fall, so I have about a year of real world experience.

Thanks again, Kap. And sorry for the confusion on the first job I mentioned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
I finally got a job offer!!! Well that only took 23 months. I'll be starting in about three weeks. Yeah!!! Thank God that the stress of the hunt is over!

Good for you! It's been a long time coming...Congrats!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
I finally got a job offer!!! Well that only took 23 months. I'll be starting in about three weeks. Yeah!!! Thank God that the stress of the hunt is over!

Awesome news Mike.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
Okay, so let me preface this by saying I made a mistake about which job I'm interviewing for. I applied for two (the one I mentioned above and a Procurement Agent). Well, when they called and mentioned the "Supply Chain job" I applied for, I assumed that they meant the "Supply Chain Analyst" position I referenced above. Turns out it is actually for the Procurement Agent position, but it's in Seattle not St. Louis.

Not sure how much that changes your answer b/c it sounds like you'd be better off discussing their procurement jobs but it's not in STL (where you most business).

Also, I am just coming out school (graduate in May), but I took off a whole semester last Spring and did a full-time Co-op with General Electric. They kept me on full-time through the summer and part-time last Fall, so I have about a year of real world experience.

Thanks again, Kap. And sorry for the confusion on the first job I mentioned.

Actually, I can almost give you better answers on procurement because that's who I deal with almost every day... well, as much as a finance guy does. I have to clean up our program manangement's crap. I'll come back to this later this weekend.

I've worked for Boeing; very good company in the grand scheme of things. In addition to what others have been saying, I will point out a few items. On the job requisition, there should be a section that outlines the skills and competencies they are looking for in potential hires for the given position. This may seem like common sense, but if you are able to describe, in detail, exactly how you fulfill/exceed those competencies, you will have a leg up. I'm not really sure how much you'll get probed about your technical knowledge, that kind of depends on the job and the interviewer. Obviously, you should know your stuff, but a lot of times, the assumption is that if you've graduated from a reputable program, its an entry level position, you had a good GPA, etc, then you will most likely have sufficient technical know-how.

But you will absolutely get behavior-based interview questions. In fact, the interview could essentially be composed of nothing but behavior based questions. So, with that being the case, I would have 5-10 good experiences that you are proficient in describing, and being able to tailor those stories to multiple different types of questions. Do your best to "click" with the interviewer - that is another huge component of the interview that could be a deciding factor in the hiring decision.

To my knowledge, most of the hiring in the company right now is for positions in Seattle and South Carolina. St. Louis has been up and down, as you can probably imagine, with the type of work they are doing out there. It sounds like you have good internship experience, so be sure to sell that as much as you can. Good Luck!

Edited by CubsSuck1

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Is it too early to apply for jobs now if I graduate in may? Will companies even read past that part on my resume or cover letter? I'm not getting as much interest as I thought i'd get... Not trying to sound cocky.

No, not at all.