Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I am a God. Brought all of my people over. Great situation. Insane compensation. Great company.

Steve, you were God when you launched the website too.

You're going to find that every company has it's fair share of nonsense - that never ends.

Keep up the good work, but don't let your head get so big that it doesn't fit through the door :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Steve, you were God when you launched the website too.

You're going to find that every company has it's fair share of nonsense - that never ends.

Keep up the good work, but don't let your head get so big that it doesn't fit through the door :)

My head isn't big. My relief is big.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
So after 3 weeks of consistent communication (both face-to-face and via email) with multiple people and with everything going as absolutely perfect as possible, "I'll be in touch next week" has now turned into 2 weeks of complete and absolute radio silence.

I'm not really sure how to proceed or if I should even do anything at all.

I'm debating whether it would be proper to send an email asking for an update or not.

Update:

I did end up sending an email to see what was going on and was told they were going in another direction.

Last week I got an email out of the blue asking if I was still interested. After a phone conversation last Friday I was told to take the weekend to think about it and email him back.

I did and now I’m supposed to meet another member of the team on Saturday morning for breakfast at a local diner. I’m not exactly sure what to expect or even how to dress. I think a full suit and tie would be too much. Would a shirt and tie be over-doing it? Maybe just a dress shirt and slacks?

I’m also not sure what we could be discussing that hasn’t been brought up already. I’m just amazed at how much time and effort they are putting into me without giving me a formal offer.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Update:

I did end up sending an email to see what was going on and was told they were going in another direction.

Last week I got an email out of the blue asking if I was still interested. After a phone conversation last Friday I was told to take the weekend to think about it and email him back.

I did and now I’m supposed to meet another member of the team on Saturday morning for breakfast at a local diner. I’m not exactly sure what to expect or even how to dress. I think a full suit and tie would be too much. Would a shirt and tie be over-doing it? Maybe just a dress shirt and slacks?

I’m also not sure what we could be discussing that hasn’t been brought up already. I’m just amazed at how much time and effort they are putting into me without giving me a formal offer.

Yeah, if you're going to a diner, dress business casual.

Good luck!

Do you trust the people that you're dealing w/ at your old company? I pulled this move a few months ago and it worked, but you have to really trust the people you're dealing with. If you stay with your old company and they're the type that will resent you for this move, your work environment can completely change for the worse.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
I can't say I envy having to make this decision. It sounds like you're in pretty good shape for several years either way. What sort of guarantee can they give you on the funding?

I'm having it put into a contract. I'm not agreeing to anything (nor pulling the plug on the new opp) without a guaranteed contract.

I want to puke.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
I'm having it put into a contract. I'm not agreeing to anything (nor pulling the plug on the new opp) without a guaranteed contract.

I want to puke.

Whatever you do, don't make a quick reactionary decision. Take a day to think about it and go with your gut.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Yeah, if you're going to a diner, dress business casual.

Good luck!

Well the meeting went well and the food was good. Got an email Monday morning from the guy I had been talking to originally asking how it went. I responded and haven't heard anything since. This is exactly what happened the last time around.

I completely baffled at what their plans are. This all started in July for crying out loud. Either you want me or you don't.

The anxiety of just sitting and waiting for something to happen is just killing me.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)

I want to puke.

I really really really suggest you consult with an attorney.

Secondly, you mentioned your primary reason for wanting out was because of the stress involved in working for these folks. Over the past several months, we've seen them promote you like 3 times, have you create a website for spinoff business, threaten to pull the funding for it after a few months, and now make these promises to you. These guys are all over the place. I wouldn't trust them.

Don't take a marginal pay increase just to have to deal with the stress of working for these folks. You found a more stable company, you've got a good offer, they've been willing to bring some of your team over. You've got a kid on the way. It's going to be much less stressful working for an established outfit than working for a fly by the seat of their pants outfit.

There is basically only one way that you should go back to them, and that is if you basically strike the deal of your career. I'd tell them you're sick of their games, ask for a significant raise (at least 50% more than whatever their current offer is), and some reasonably large stake in this spinoff. If you're going to deal with the stress of this situation, you may as well try and hit an absolute home run in doing so and make it worth your while.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:44 AM)
And here I thought it was over.

Counter offer from old company. Full funding for two years, salary higher than new offer, ownership stake as official spinoff.

I did not expect this.

Go. Walk away. If you were willing to draw that line in the sand, it is time to go, especially because you convinced your team it was time to go.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
So many smart people here. I need to be smart.

I won't tell you which choice I would make, but certain non-monetary things can make big impacts. I currently make at least 30% less than I was 5 years ago. However, I also now have a 6 minute commute (on a BAD day) vs the previous 75+ minutes, I have a company car and I have the flexibility to take off if I need to for things, like picking my kid up from school or something. I would say that I am very happy compared to the previous position, despite the lower pay. Like someone mentioned earlier, a marginal increase in pay may not be worth the extra aggravation. Good luck with your choice.