Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

So why do I want out of this nice stable, good paying job? A snapshot:

Employee has been caught several times taking extra smoke breaks and also noted many times sitting idle at her desk instead of working. At the end of the year, employee gets a rating of 3 on a 1-5 scale, which is the lowest level that is passing. Employee files grievance claiming that her work is outstanding, that she deserves nothing less than a 5, and that the 3 rating is retaliation for her complaints against supervisor for writing her up for the smoke breaks.

Same employee puts in for vacation day for November 17. Supervisor notices that this is the employee's last vacation day, reminds employee that the day after Thanksgiving is a work day, and that the agency is not granting unpaid days off for that day. Employee states that it isn't a big deal since she is planning to work that day. Today, employee puts in for unpaid day off for Friday. Employee is denied the request and immediately files a grievance against the supervisor and manager (myself) for not approving a necessary unpaid absence.

Given our legal department's history, her rating will be negotiated to a 4, and she will have her Friday absence approved.

I'd rather make 10-15% less to be in a job where I can actually accomplish something.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the scene in Christmas Vacation.

“Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.”

:lol:

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
f*** you, f*** you, f*** you, you're cool, f*** you, f*** you

I'm starting a new job tomorrow for the first time in 6.5 years. I was 25 the last time I started a new job, and it certainly wasn't a big deal position like this one.

Any tips or suggestions for day 1? I figure I'll try to sit with as many of the people I'll be managing as possible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
This place rocks. Thanks for asking!

Are you on a boat?

BTW, four times in my career I stepped into a supervisory position. My best advice, you have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Use that ratio the first month. Learn he culture, learn the why of the organization.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
I interviewed for a position yesterday. Went really well. I ended up finding out that one of the interviewers knows a former co worker. The interviewer contacted my friend after she was finished before my interview was even over. He gave glowing reviews about me and she wants me on board. However, apparently I make more than the rest of the others in that position and can't match my salary.

Knowing this, I'd like to try to negotiate. I'd take less as this is a great opportunity. Any advice on negotiating with this in mind? There was no advertised salary on the job posting. I hope they're not looking to pay me 10k less.

Just an update.

I ended up getting offered and accepting the System Administrator position. Bottom line, I will end up making a little less a year, but my base salary is higher (OT and bonuses were the difference at the last place). I'm content with leaving to be in a position that I want to be in and in a company with less frustrations and stress (not to mention less hours).

I can relate with Steve, much happier so far.

With that said, looking long term I'm a little unsure where I want to end up in the IT industry. I don't think I want to continue being an Engineer forever though not necessarily sure about being in management. My feelings are that I'd like to work in a position where I'm not expected to work after hours for upgrades/migrations or putting out fires. I think of a traditional 9-5 schedule.

Have an interview scheduled Tuesday for a pretty good position with a for-profit national technical college chain based in the Indy area.

While researching the company, I discovered that they essentially trick students into taking out more loans than they can afford in order to get them enrolled and a lot of the students default on the loans and many others end up with severely damaged credit.

Is it even worth going to the interview? I have a hard time seeing myself working for such people.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Just an update.

I ended up getting offered and accepting the System Administrator position. Bottom line, I will end up making a little less a year, but my base salary is higher (OT and bonuses were the difference at the last place). I'm content with leaving to be in a position that I want to be in and in a company with less frustrations and stress (not to mention less hours).

I can relate with Steve, much happier so far.

With that said, looking long term I'm a little unsure where I want to end up in the IT industry. I don't think I want to continue being an Engineer forever though not necessarily sure about being in management. My feelings are that I'd like to work in a position where I'm not expected to work after hours for upgrades/migrations or putting out fires. I think of a traditional 9-5 schedule.

Congrats! Sounds like you made the right move.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Have an interview scheduled Tuesday for a pretty good position with a for-profit national technical college chain based in the Indy area.

While researching the company, I discovered that they essentially trick students into taking out more loans than they can afford in order to get them enrolled and a lot of the students default on the loans and many others end up with severely damaged credit.

Is it even worth going to the interview. I have a hard time seeing myself working for such people.

That's tricky. How positive are you that they actually do the aforementioned loan thing? Is it just speculation or a proven deal?

I'd say to go the interview no matter what. At the very least, it's always good experience to do interviews. But even more, you could use the interview to bring up your concerns and give them a chance to explain.

That's tricky. How positive are you that they actually do the aforementioned loan thing? Is it just speculation or a proven deal?

I'd say to go the interview no matter what. At the very least, it's always good experience to do interviews. But even more, you could use the interview to bring up your concerns and give them a chance to explain.

They've settled lawsuits over it in the past.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)

Is it even worth going to the interview? I have a hard time seeing myself working for such people.

Isn't that the entire for profit college industry?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)

For my two cents, interviews are never a bad thing. If nothing else, it is good practice for the next interview.

I guess I should add that going to this interview costs about $100 for a babysitter since I would otherwise be home tomorrow plus another $35 in gas for the round trip, so it's not really worth going on the interview if there isn't at least a chance I would accept the job.

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Isn't that the entire for profit college industry?

Unfortunately, it's not just for profits. Many state universities will accept are larger number of questionably qualified students as freshman, knowing many will drop out for a number of reasons.

1. It brings in extra tuition and freshman classes are big lectures with TA lab sections where grad students make alot less than the tuition.

2. It makes the university look good for the state and thus can get more dollars from the state based on the Fall credit hour count.

3. It makes the university and state look good because "they didn't just look at grades and exam scores" when they admitted students.