White Sox targeting Carl Crawford

macsandz

That's a helluva target. The Sox have a history of coming up short on big name free agents and Crawford is a big name this off-season. The usual suspects will be involved as suitors, (ANA, NY, PHI, BOS...etc.) and the Sox are gonna need to find something like $120M to offer him. They obviously know this and they are going hard after him. This guy is special and well worth a serious pursuit.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. And that's not a diss at you, Bucket of suck. You're just reporting what you heard. We've got no chance at Crawford. I ain't about to get excited about this.

Pretty much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. And that's not a diss at you, Bucket of suck. You're just reporting what you heard. We've got no chance at Crawford. I ain't about to get excited about this.

Yeah, I know but maybe this is that one player the team goes all in on. Konerko off the books helps. They could offer $10M+ per season possibly. Crawford is known to be the player Kenny covets more than anybody in MLB...

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
What happens to Juan Pierre then?

Just guessing, but Crawford to RF.

Quentin is out. I think the team is sick of his baggage. They'd also likely have to deal Danks as fallout from that monster Crawford contract.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Has Crawford ever even played RF? His arm isn't very well suited for it and I seem to remember years ago he was reluctant to play CF. Even if the Sox felt he could play RF despite his arm I'm not sure if Crawford would be that receptive to doing it.

I don't think he would be a good clubhouse guy and no I have no evidence but even watching him tonight, his team losing and his behavior in the dugout...

He probably would be an upgrade over CQ in RF, but way too early for this, IMHO.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't think he would be a good clubhouse guy and no I have no evidence but even watching him tonight, his team losing and his behavior in the dugout...

He probably would be an upgrade over CQ in RF, but way too early for this, IMHO.

Just curious, way too early for what?

I would like the move, but at the same time, there has to be other moves. Carl Crawford alone doesn't improve the entire team drastically enough to make the playoffs next year. I like the fact that it seems like we would give up on Carlos Quentin because he's a major headcase. PK would more than likely be gone. I'm guessing Danks would be traded as well. Someone mentioned Daric Barton for CQ & someone. It would take CQ, Danks, and Morel more than likely to acquire him. I wouldn't be too angry at that if we are able to also sign Beltre, but I doubt that.

Hey casual fans who we want to attract next season, look at us! We're making a offer [nowhere near enough to actually land him, and we know it] to Carl Crawford! Come watch us.

-White Sox

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Yeah, I know but maybe this is that one player the team goes all in on. Konerko off the books helps. They could offer $10M+ per season possibly. Crawford is known to be the player Kenny covets more than anybody in MLB...

We'll land Crawford in 12 years.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
This is such a pipe dream, this will be just like Tori Hunter, KW will come in second because he would not offer more than a 4 year deal, we have seen this all before.

Crawford is also 3 years younger than Hunter was LA signed him, so it is not exactly the same.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
That's a helluva target. The Sox have a history of coming up short on big name free agents and Crawford is a big name this off-season. The usual suspects will be involved as suitors, (ANA, NY, PHI, BOS...etc.) and the Sox are gonna need to find something like $120M to offer him. They obviously know this and they are going hard after him. This guy is special and well worth a serious pursuit.

The Sox target most high priced free agents every year. The media always likes to throw us a bone.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
Someone mentioned Daric Barton for CQ & someone. It would take CQ, Danks, and Morel more than likely to acquire him.

Really?! Barton is good but he's not a star and has below average power at a power position. I believe he cleared waivers a few months ago. OAK needs power desperately and Quentin would provide that. Quentin + Danks + Morel would be an overpay.

I would obviously jizz myself if the Sox managed to land Crawford (and Pierre's bat would be great at 9), but for f***'s sake the playoffs are still on and I see no reason to buy into this whatsoever. It'd take a lot of creative work to fit him on the team, not that it's impossible but I just can't see it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
I'm sure they are targeting every LH bat on the market. If they are going after Crawford that means Konerko's ship has sailed.

I think PK is gone and it may be the best thing for the team going forward. They need that money and Paul is diminishing returns as an investment.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
I would obviously jizz myself if the Sox managed to land Crawford (and Pierre's bat would be great at 9), but for f***'s sake the playoffs are still on and I see no reason to buy into this whatsoever. It'd take a lot of creative work to fit him on the team, not that it's impossible but I just can't see it.

I'm telling you all what was reported. According to a Sox source, Crawford is priority #1 this off-season.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
I'm telling you all what was reported. According to a Sox source, Crawford is priority #1 this off-season.

I know, not busting your balls or anything. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE for the Sox to get Crawford but I don't see it happening. I'd like Paulie back but if it's a choice between Paulie and Crawford, well, what can I say, Paulie would understand.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimist after everybody got burned in the Summer of LeDouche.

Edited by lostfan