BALLPARK DIMENSIONS

soxfan-kwman

Change the ballpark dimensions to help our team. Imagine if we signed Paulie back & made our park more difficult for the opposition to succeed against our current team. These suggestions would achieve two things:

1. Make the current & future Twins team dread playing at our ball park. Make it easier for us to win the division on a yearly basis

2. Make it tougher for the Yankees during playoff matchups.

Our ballpark will still give up plenty of homeruns during the hot summer days, but I think our team should benefit if we do the following to our current ballpark:

1. Pull the fences back to the orginal distance except have the left field fence taper on the pole (like fenways right field).

2. Make the Fence 10 feet all the way from Left Field ( accept Right Field).

3. Make the Right Field Fence 18 feet high.

In Right Field we could put up a regular fence & then use plexi glass the rest of the way up. Any thoughts??

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Change the ballpark dimensions to help our team. Imagine if we signed Paulie back & made our park more difficult for the opposition to succeed against our current team. These suggestions would achieve two things:

1. Make the current & future Twins team dread playing at our ball park. Make it easier for us to win the division on a yearly basis

2. Make it tougher for the Yankees during playoff matchups.

Our ballpark will still give up plenty of homeruns during the hot summer days, but I think our team should benefit if we do the following to our current ballpark:

1. Pull the fences back to the orginal distance except have the left field fence taper on the pole (like fenways right field).

2. Make the Fence 10 feet all the way from Left Field ( accept Right Field).

3. Make the Right Field Fence 18 feet high.

In Right Field we could put up a regular fence & then use plexi glass the rest of the way up. Any thoughts??

No thanks. Those high walls in other stadiums are designed with the sight lines in mind. If you do that to our stadium you mess up sight lines, visual angles, the ability to fans to see certain parts of the park from their seats. If you want to move the fences the only thing you can do is move them back the 6-8 feet gap that is in place from the LF bullpen to to dead CF.

QUOTE (Little Nell @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
No to everything especially the plexi-glass extension.

I don't want USCF looking like a hockey rink.

That's pretty funny. Ever since we started calling it the cell I've wanted our outfield wall to be prison bars full of the roughest inmates on earth that harass the other team and scare them to death. Especially around the other team's bullpen. The real Cell, if you will. I should write Brooks.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
That's pretty funny. Ever since we started calling it the cell I've wanted our outfield wall to be prison bars full of the roughest inmates on earth that harass the other team and scare them to death. Especially around the other team's bullpen. The real Cell, if you will. I should write Brooks.

I saw we just paint the visitor clubhouse pink and put up like paintings and pictures of like the Teletubbies and other goofy stuff. I heard teams like the Pittsburgh Penguins make their visitor locker room pink to make the environment uncomfortable for the visiting team.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
I'm not a fan of "homerun ball", so I'm all for moving the fences back. I wish that we had Detroits ballpark.

Moving the fences back wouldn't do much. You would get like and extra 6 ft from left of the pen to the CF batters eye. So the gap goes from 375 to 381, and CF goes from 400 to maybe 408 or something. Its not enough to make a difference, its not enough to re-organize the way you compose your team. Plus its good to have a few feet of gap separating the outfield seats and the wall, its keep fan interference from becoming an issue like you saw at Yankee stadium last night.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
One of the things I like about baseball is every field is different. Hockey has gottena way from that. Of course football and basketball have all been about the same.

Yeah I remember when the Dolphins played on the 140 yard field. Took forever for teams to score. :ph34r:

White Sox starters generally have better numbers pitching at USCF than away. Danks ERA was 0.16 higher at home, Buehrle was over 1.20 runs higher and Edwin Jackson's was higher in limited appearances, but homers and hits aren't to blame. It was walks in Edwin Jackson's case. All other Sox starters Peavy, Garcia, Floyd were lower. I see no reason to change the dimensions. Its not as if the Sox are getting beat with cheap home runs, and it certainly doesn't appear the fact that the park is a bandbox has gotten into the pitchers' minds.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)

This is my favorite idea.

Make the field bigger? One of the major changes from the old Comiskey to the new was the change from a pitcher's park to a hitter's. Everyone had enough of the cavernous old dimensions. They even figured out the predominance of the wind and set the new park at the best angle for tail winds. They played with the dimensions in the old park and it always looked like crap. Stop looking for a quick fix. Just win more ballgames by playing better baseball. The cell needs ground ball pitchers and home run hitters.

I like the idea of the bars, but what if U.S. cellular loses the naming rights?

QUOTE (since56 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Make the field bigger? One of the major changes from the old Comiskey to the new was the change from a pitcher's park to a hitter's. Everyone had enough of the cavernous old dimensions. They even figured out the predominance of the wind and set the new park at the best angle for tail winds. They played with the dimensions in the old park and it always looked like crap. Stop looking for a quick fix. Just win more ballgames by playing better baseball. The cell needs ground ball pitchers and home run hitters.

I like the idea of the bars, but what if U.S. cellular loses the naming rights?

It is crazy to think we are almost halfway through the US Cellular contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
It is crazy to think we are almost halfway through the US Cellular contract.

Indeed it is, wouldnt be surprised if the sox and US Cellular come up with an extended deal at some point in the next few years.

Businesses come and go. What if they go bankrupt at any time? They are not the biggest of the cell phones companies. Verizon and AT&T for example dominate that market. Risky making permanent changes based on U. S. Cellular name.

Put up bars and make the Sox socks striped black and white like prisoners?

QUOTE (since56 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Businesses come and go. What if they go bankrupt at any time? They are not the biggest of the cell phones companies. Verizon and AT&T for example dominate that market. Risky making permanent changes based on U. S. Cellular name.

Put up bars and make the Sox socks striped black and white like prisoners?

Like when the Sox made a substantial commitment to the Pontiac Fundamentals deck?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
Like when the Sox made a substantial commitment to the Pontiac Fundamentals deck?

I've still never been on that stupid thing, although I did randomly figure out how to get to it this year. Is it always jam-shacked with kids or is it just the one kid trying to hit the homer?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Anyone read what Morneau said about the new Target Field. Coming to our ballpark is a relief to him, Kubel, Mauer, & now Thome. Any thoughts!! Especially with the good pitching staff that we have on the Southside.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5796135

He can always ask for a trade! [crossesfingers]

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Anyone read what Morneau said about the new Target Field. Coming to our ballpark is a relief to him, Kubel, Mauer, & now Thome. Any thoughts!! Especially with the good pitching staff that we have on the Southside.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5796135

Apparently it didn't prevent the Twins from beating the Sox like ragdolls at Target Field in 2010. Considering its a "relief" when they don't have to play there, isn't it at least a little strange they had the best home record in the AL in 2010?