Five Years Ago Today - 10/22/2005

clyons

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
That's kind of sad.

Yeah, that team still holds a pretty special place for me, and I imagine it always will. I obviously want to see them do it again, but different teams win it all the time. This isn't a video game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Real sad actually. Not sure how anyone would ever be able to get over that team.

I'll never be "over" it. I hope that's not what he meant. But I know I've f***ing had it with the '85 Bears. I don't want the '05 Sox to go down like them (i.e. no matter how inept the organization continues to be, hey, how 'bout those '85 Bears!).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
I may as well post a memory or two here...This one starts for tomorrow...(might need to play in Windows media, for some reason winamp can't read this file any more).

I forgot how epic Farmer's call on that was

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Weren't you like 2 when the Bears won the Superbowl? You didn't live through that title run like you did with the Sox. I could care less about the 85 Bears because it means nothing to me. I respect history, but it brings me no emotion.

The Sox World Series run took over my life, just like many others. I'll never be sick of the 2005 season.

Yup. I didn't go through it obviously. I still think I would get sick of hearing about them even if I had been old enough to experience it. I don't want it to be 2025 and having to refer back to '05 because the organization has done little to nothing since. That's all I meant.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Yup. I didn't go through it obviously. I still think I would get sick of hearing about them even if I had been old enough to experience it. I don't want it to be 2025 and having to refer back to '05 because the organization has done little to nothing since. That's all I meant.

This - or for example, say, AJ Pierzynski retires and works his way up as an assistant but becomes a mediocre to poor manager with another team, but we still have meathead fans screaming that the Sox didn't sign him while they b**** about the current manager. There will be none of that from me in 2020.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
This - or for example, say, AJ Pierzynski retires and works his way up as an assistant but becomes a mediocre to poor manager with another team, but we still have meathead fans screaming that the Sox didn't sign him while they b**** about the current manager. There will be none of that from me in 2020.

Those f***ers are the worst. To most Bears fans the only criteria required to work within the organization is to have played for the '85 team.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
/\ Sometime down the line I do actually kind of see AJ returning to coach or manage in some capacity.

Catchers usually make good managers, no other players know as much as they do. I could see it.

2005 occupies its own space in my head that will never go away, apart from everything else. In 2006 I still connected it to the current team, but I made a clean mental break from it in 2007 after that unmitigated disaster to spare myself delusions and/or heartbreak. I don't see today's team, or anybody who played for the 2005 team, through a 2005 lens.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Those f***ers are the worst. To most Bears fans the only criteria required to work within the organization is to have played for the '85 team.

For sure. Thats why I'm kinda happy Singletary is failing so far, just maybe it can shut some of those meatheads up for a little bit at least.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)

2005 - awesome.

Since then ... a surprise.

I thought the Sox would continue excellence if not domination for some time to come.

Right after the Sox won it all, I think there was a feeling the team might have a sustained run. Granted we haven't fallen off the map with some playoff appearances, but as it stands TODAY, the team certainly doesn't look like an AL champion contender for some time to come.

Our everyday lineup is not championship caliber. Our pitching (on paper) IS championship caliber.

Unfortunately our pitching has been far from consistent and our bullpen has been poor the past 2 seasons at least.

05 ... magical. Tear-inducing.

Since then ... Tear inducing for the wrong reasons.