Rasmus

mmmmmbeeer

Cowley tweeter earlier how the story about the potential trade Ozzie/Stanton was just another example of why the Sun Times was a superior sports section. Of course, the Marlins never considered it, if it were even brought up to them, but why let facts get in the way of a good story. I seemed to recall Cowley ripping a Soxtalk report on a potential 3 way trade last year involving Paulie and Adrian Gonzalez. Now he's reporting a potential Quentin/Rasmus trade? I am one who feels Quentin has a lot more value than most, but as the big piece for Rasmus? Never.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Cowley tweeter earlier how the story about the potential trade Ozzie/Stanton was just another example of why the Sun Times was a superior sports section. Of course, the Marlins never considered it, if it were even brought up to them, but why let facts get in the way of a good story. I seemed to recall Cowley ripping a Soxtalk report on a potential 3 way trade last year involving Paulie and Adrian Gonzalez. Now he's reporting a potential Quentin/Rasmus trade? I am one who feels Quentin has a lot more value than most, but as the big piece for Rasmus? Never.

Honestly...the Cardinals with Rasmus are in a similar boat with Quentin...because everyone knows the Cardinals want to get rid of Rasmus, so that kind of is going to depress his value a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Honestly...the Cardinals with Rasmus are in a similar boat with Quentin...because everyone knows the Cardinals want to get rid of Rasmus, so that kind of is going to depress his value a bit.

I totally disagree. First, the Cards GM is on record saying he isn't going anywhere. That could be a smokescreen, but this isn't a guy who has a contract that is going to scare anyone away. There's 29 other teams that would love to have him. The Cards may trade him, something without any issues they probably wouldn't even consider, but his value isn't depressed. You aren't going to get a bargain rate for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I totally disagree. First, the Cards GM is on record saying he isn't going anywhere. That could be a smokescreen, but this isn't a guy who has a contract that is going to scare anyone away. There's 29 other teams that would love to have him. The Cards may trade him, something without any issues they probably wouldn't even consider, but his value isn't depressed. You aren't going to get a bargain rate for him.

I don't think there is any way he's going to be with that team in the spring. LaRussa pretty much made that clear. I could be wrong, but I'll be stunned.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't think there is any way he's going to be with that team in the spring. LaRussa pretty much made that clear. I could be wrong, but I'll be stunned.

Maybe he won't be there, but Carlos Quentin and prospects, especially White Sox prospects, isn't going to get the job done, and I don't know that they really want to take on much money. If it comes out the Cardinals are dealing him there are going to be offers the Sox can't match or would be stupid to match.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Who is Cardinals top pitching prosepect and how can we arrange a trade that sends Carlos, and Buehrle to the Cards for Rasmus and studs?

The Cardinals need to re-sign Pujols. I don't think adding close to $20 million to their payroll is something they want to do.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Who is Cardinals top pitching prosepect and how can we arrange a trade that sends Carlos, and Buehrle to the Cards for Rasmus and studs?

Unless things remarkably changed this season...BA had the Cardinals ranked as the 29th out of 30 systems coming into this season.

Basically, the Cardinals system makes the Sox's system look solid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Unless things remarkably changed this season...BA had the Cardinals ranked as the 29th out of 30 systems coming into this season.

Basically, the Cardinals system makes the Sox's system look solid.

Or the Cardinals system is the same as the White Sox system, and they're both s***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
If you'll note...we were substantially ahead of the Cardinals coming in this year.

And then the White Sox minor league system had a pretty terrible all around year.

Morel was one of the few players who had a really good season, and he's a guy who could fit in really well with St. Louis; I think trading Morel would be a huge mistake for this team.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
How & when did LaRussa make it clear that Rasmus will be gone?

If Pujols saying this didn't make it clear...

“If you don’t want to be part of this great organization man, this is one of the special organizations that you want to play for,” Pujols said. “And if you don’t want to be a part of this, then you know what? You need to figure out a place to go and play.”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)

2 things. 1. That statement by Pujols makes no sense because he is under contract and he cannot go figure out another place to play. 2. You said that Tony made it clear. Larussa just extended his contract about 2 weeks ago, so if it was a personal issue then if Tony didn't come back why would Rasmus need to go?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)

Ever since their readership went into the toilet the Sun Times is a step above a tabloid. Writers like Cowley are just a part of that.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)

If Buehrle is in a deal to St Louis, we sure as heck aren't getting Rasmus back, let alone more prospects. They need to cut payroll to make room for a Pujols massive extention. Think ARod money and how to make room for it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Maybe he won't be there, but Carlos Quentin and prospects, especially White Sox prospects, isn't going to get the job done, and I don't know that they really want to take on much money. If it comes out the Cardinals are dealing him there are going to be offers the Sox can't match or would be stupid to match.

I'm not at all disputing what you say D.A.; but wouldn't Buehrles' contract come off of the books about the time that Puhols' extension would start? If it does, I could see the Cardinals wanting to take on a little more salary for a solid run next year, especially if Rasmus is the problem that LaRussa makes him out to be.

By the same token, would K.W. want to add a problem child to our roster without doing some serious checking on this guy first.

The Tribune also mentioned that the Cardinals would be interested in Tajeda for a stopgap at shortstop, meaning they might want a shortstop for the future. If K.W. decides that he really wants Rasmus, would something like a Escobar (fresh off a hot Arizona Fall League), Buehrle, Quentin, Harrell package, give or take a few parts or $ on either side, work for Rasmus?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
I'm not at all disputing what you say D.A.; but wouldn't Buehrles' contract come off of the books about the time that Puhols' extension would start? If it does, I could see the Cardinals wanting to take on a little more salary for a solid run next year, especially if Rasmus is the problem that LaRussa makes him out to be.

By the same token, would K.W. want to add a problem child to our roster without doing some serious checking on this guy first.

The Tribune also mentioned that the Cardinals would be interested in Tajeda for a stopgap at shortstop, meaning they might want a shortstop for the future. If K.W. decides that he really wants Rasmus, would something like a Escobar (fresh off a hot Arizona Fall League), Buehrle, Quentin, Harrell package, give or take a few parts or $ on either side, work for Rasmus?

There's a kicker for Buehrle if he gets traded, so it would be about $15 million next season, plus Quentin will be around $5 million and Rasmus will make peanuts. No way that deal gets done.