Haircuts

Texsox

I need one, badly. But the guy that normally cuts my hair, and who I really like for the task, is over an hour away and I have not been able to get down to see him. I am going on three months without a hair cut and it is starting to get annoying.

Just thought I'd start perhaps the stupidist thread of the day and see what happens

I am very far from violating our district policy, but the sides are pretty shaggy and the back is all over the place. But James in Port Isabelle is just amazing and I hate to go anywhere else. I may take a drive after work today.

I haven't been loyal to a barber since college. Now I totally roll the dice with whoever is manning the stations at the cheapo Great Clips places. Usually I get a decent enough cut, but there have been other times when I have been totally hair raped. It's kind of the running joke in the house now waiting to see how bad Dad's haircut is when he comes home from the barber shop.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
I need one, badly. But the guy that normally cuts my hair, and who I really like for the task, is over an hour away and I have not been able to get down to see him. I am going on three months without a hair cut and it is starting to get annoying.

Just thought I'd start perhaps the stupidist thread of the day and see what happens

LOL, Tex I am in the same boat at almost 3 months without a haircut. I am to the point of do I let it keep growing or just get it all off ASAP.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
Do you guys close your eyes when they are washing your hair

Yup.

Anybody else require the barber use a layering scissors at the end? I have really thick hair and it makes a huge difference.

I've been putting off getting a haircut because I really can't describe what I like (which is sad, because it's a very simple and ordinary haircut) but Ive had barbers mess it up real bad before (I've gotten buzzcuts when I said not too short, and I look terrible with buzzcuts). I have to trust my barber.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
I've been putting off getting a haircut because I really can't describe what I like (which is sad, because it's a very simple and ordinary haircut) but Ive had barbers mess it up real bad before (I've gotten buzzcuts when I said not too short, and I look terrible with buzzcuts). I have to trust my barber.

Find out what size they use on the clippers so that you can tell the person doing your hair which one to use.

I always get my hair buzzcutted with razor trimmer size #1. I like my hair as short as possible and it annoys me when my hair gets long enough to have cowlicks or easily messed up from static electricity from my hoodies.

I kind of don't know why everyone don't get buzzcuts, it seems kind of silly to me when dudes go to get a haircut and they tell the haircut person that they "only want a trim." Just get your entire head buzzed already! It's much quicker and less maintenence.

And one of my biggest pet peeves is when people schedule appointments for a haircut. It pisses me off to no end when I'm sitting in the waiting room, and it's my turn next, and all the sudden some soccer mom comes in with two punky kids that looks like skateboarders with Justin Bieber imitation haircuts and they get served before me just because the soccer mom made an appointment and she's too lazy to just come in and wait like everyone else. I've gotten up and made my dissatisfaction known to the manager at haircut places that do stuff like that and I leave, letting them know that they lost my business because they took people's appointments before serving me despite the fact that I was waiting in the building before they came in. Now I almost always go to SuperCuts because I never got gypped by any stupid reservation policies.

I also never go to a barber, I just go to cheap places like SuperCuts because I like the chances of getting a haircut by a hot girl. You know, it gives me a chance to flirt a little. :-p

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
I always get my hair buzzcutted with razor trimmer size #1. I like my hair as short as possible and it annoys me when my hair gets long enough to have cowlicks or easily messed up from static electricity from my hoodies.

I kind of don't know why everyone don't get buzzcuts, it seems kind of silly to me when dudes go to get a haircut and they tell the haircut person that they "only want a trim." Just get your entire head buzzed already! It's much quicker and less maintenence.

And one of my biggest pet peeves is when people schedule appointments for a haircut. It pisses me off to no end when I'm sitting in the waiting room, and it's my turn next, and all the sudden some soccer mom comes in with two punky kids that looks like skateboarders with Justin Bieber imitation haircuts and they get served before me just because the soccer mom made an appointment and she's too lazy to just come in and wait like everyone else. I've gotten up and made my dissatisfaction known to the manager at haircut places that do stuff like that and I leave, letting them know that they lost my business because they took people's appointments before serving me despite the fact that I was waiting in the building before they came in. Now I almost always go to SuperCuts because I never got gypped by any stupid reservation policies.

I also never go to a barber, I just go to cheap places like SuperCuts because I like the chances of getting a haircut by a hot girl. You know, it gives me a chance to flirt a little. :-p

Not every guy looks good in a buzzcut, Im exhibit A. I also don't just get a trim, Im cheap, so I wait a long time to get a haircut and when I do it's a significant amount (I also never do anything with my hair in between in terms of style, just use standard shampoo and conditioner).

You really get mad when someone takes the time and effort to make an appointment? That's why they exist, so you have a time reserved. Honestly, you don't have any ground to stand on, walk-ins are for when the barber has open spots, and are worked in around reservations. If the barber passed up a reservation that would lose them alot more business than if they pass over a walk in.

And if you're just getting a buzzcut you can go anywhere, hell, you might as well have a friend do it for $5.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
Not every guy looks good in a buzzcut, Im exhibit A. I also don't just get a trim, Im cheap, so I wait a long time to get a haircut and when I do it's a significant amount (I also never do anything with my hair in between in terms of style, just use standard shampoo and conditioner).

You really get mad when someone takes the time and effort to make an appointment? That's why they exist, so you have a time reserved. Honestly, you don't have any ground to stand on, walk-ins are for when the barber has open spots, and are worked in around reservations. If the barber passed up a reservation that would lose them alot more business than if they pass over a walk in.

And if you're just getting a buzzcut you can go anywhere, hell, you might as well have a friend do it for $5.

Actually, I kind of do think I have some ground to stand on.

See, I have a hearing impairment, so it's hard for me to hear on phones. So I try to save myself the embarrassment by walking in rather than phoning in an appointment. In fact, my hearing is so bad on phones that I need to get someone to help me whenever I need to call the credit card company or any business that has automated answering directories. A lot of people would be surprised by how seldom I use the phone. I probably only make 2 or 3 phone calls a month, and when I do, I usually only call my boss, close friends, or family.

So yea, that's why it's very easy for me to get mad. Because here I am, walking in to get a haircut because using the phone is a challenge for me, and just when it's my turn to get my hair cut next, some soccer mom with two kids and an appointment walks in and gets served first. That does piss me off because that feels like a form of disparate treatment or whatever. :(

And just because I'm a walk-in doesn't mean I have more time to spare than someone who was able to call in an appointment because they don't have the disadvantage of having trouble hearing like I do.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
Actually, I kind of do think I have some ground to stand on.

See, I have a hearing impairment, so it's hard for me to hear on phones. So I try to save myself the embarrassment by walking in rather than phoning in an appointment. In fact, my hearing is so bad on phones that I need to get someone to help me whenever I need to call the credit card company or any business that has automated answering directories. A lot of people would be surprised by how seldom I use the phone. I probably only make 2 or 3 phone calls a month, and when I do, I usually only call my boss, close friends, or family.

So yea, that's why it's very easy for me to get mad. Because here I am, walking in to get a haircut because using the phone is a challenge for me, and just when it's my turn to get my hair cut next, some soccer mom with two kids and an appointment walks in and gets served first. That does piss me off because that feels like a form of disparate treatment or whatever. :(

And just because I'm a walk-in doesn't mean I have more time to spare than someone who was able to call in an appointment because they don't have the disadvantage of having trouble hearing like I do.

Why don't you ask the barber when you walk in then if he has an opening? If he doesn't, then you leave and yourenot being surprised by someone who called in advance. There are ways for you to get around not being able to use a phone, they're not always the most convenient but unfortunately you lose slot when you can't use a phone. I just wouldn't get mad at someone who called ahead to set a time. It's like a restaurant, reservations are seated first, walk INS must wait.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Why don't you ask the barber when you walk in then if he has an opening? If he doesn't, then you leave and yourenot being surprised by someone who called in advance. There are ways for you to get around not being able to use a phone, they're not always the most convenient but unfortunately you lose slot when you can't use a phone. I just wouldn't get mad at someone who called ahead to set a time. It's like a restaurant, reservations are seated first, walk INS must wait.

I actually never went to a barber in my life, so I'm not sure if it's different at barbershops, but I usually go to places like SuperCuts where I can go in as a walk-in, get a quick buzzcut, and be out in just 5 minutes.

Usually at places like SuperCuts, they just take your name and serve you right away if there's no one else waiting ahead of you.

There were times when I tried to go to the haircut places that's just a walking distance from my house, and they take your name as well and you have to sit down while they sweep off the haircut area. Usually I find places like salons to be understaffed and they take forever to give people haircuts and because of that it gives the people who called in for an appointment too much time to beat the clock instead of serving me first.

I'm not sure if it's a generational thing, but even if I wanted to, calling in for an appointment would be too much of a hassle for me. I'm just part of the "fast food culture" that's used to being able to walk in anyplace and getting served right away. To me, calling in for an appointment is kind of an outdated custom, kind of like writing checks at supermarkets.

Plus, calling in for an appointment is too restrictive on my time. I like to keep my schedule spontaneous enough to allow for me to be able to stop at other stores on the way to the haircut place on a whim, rather than being committed to a scheduled appointment.

So that's why I go to a SuperCuts about 6 miles from my house, and other random SuperCuts in other neighborhoods (to see what hot girls work there), because I get served right away as a walk-in instead of going to one of the two haircut places that I can walk to from my house.

Edited by SouthsideDon48