If you had to bet on one signing of a new player.....

ozzfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
The most obvious need on the whole roster right now is a closer. I'm going to go big and say Soriano.

More than a 1B or DH? There is no clear replacement for either of these spots yet. And our biggest power threat from last season is a free agent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
I don't know if the Sox could afford him, but this move would make me very happy.

It would be a big misuse of resources in my opinion. After a stellar season, Soriano is going to cost a boatload of money and our first round draft pick. Not smart for a team with budget constraints, weak farm system, and perfectly viable closer option in Thornton.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
More than a 1B or DH? There is no clear replacement for either of these spots yet. And our biggest power threat from last season is a free agent.

Yes, a bigger need. I could live with Viciedo filling the 1b/DH role and a cheap additional DH (or RF) signing to cover the additional spot, but I dread going into this season with something less reliable than Jenks in the closer's spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Yes, a bigger need. I could live with Viciedo filling the 1b/DH role and a cheap additional DH (or RF) signing to cover the additional spot, but I dread going into this season with something less reliable than Jenks in the closer's spot.

I would say that Thornton, Sale, and Santos are all more reliable then Jenks. Gregory Infante is probably more reliable then Jenks. s***, Tony Pena is probably more reliable then Jenks. Jenks is awful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)

Completely disagree. We have two guys in Thornton/Sale who averaged over 12K/9IP last season who could be moved to the closer role. It could actually be closer by committee because Thornton is traditionally better against LHB (although decent against RHB as well) and Sale was absolute murder to RHB (.454 OPS against, albeit a small sample size). Even Santos could be considered.

The above situation makes me much more comfortable than filling our 1B/DH/RF positions with Viciedo, Quentin, and someone cheap. These are players in the game every day, unlike the closer. We need to add a OBP/SLG threat to the lineup and Quentin/Viciedo are huge question marks and both poor defensively. Konerko and Jones accounted for 54.6 of the 87.7 positive offensive runs above replacement (i.e. 62% of the offense which was above replacement value) and they are free agents. 1B/DH/RF are always 3 of the 4 positions providing most offensive output, and we cannot say for sure who will occupy any of them, while in-house options are not strong. That is scary. The Twins lost Nathan for the season last year and no one noticed. But if they didn't have Thome to fill the DH role when Morneau went down, the AL Central race would have been closer.