SOXTALK NOV/DEC '10 LIST

knightni

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having trouble sending the list from work, but it is complete.

I have 20. I doubt more than 2 make this list (and I probably know which ones). I eliminated all one offs and locals so everything should be widely available though two are technically seasonals. I would go to a desert island with my top ten so I don't want to change it.

I'm a little concerned that with only 14 lists and such a wide category, we may not get a consensus enough to make a good list.

I can accept lists until Monday if anyone still wants to contribute, but if I don't see enough similar picks in the list to get solid voting, I may have to scrap this for another list idea.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm a little concerned that with only 14 lists and such a wide category, we may not get a consensus enough to make a good list.

I can accept lists until Monday if anyone still wants to contribute, but if I don't see enough similar picks in the list to get solid voting, I may have to scrap this for another list idea.

I was busy the last few days and thought I'd missed the deadline, so with the extended deadline, I was able to submit a list (it was just sent a few minutes ago).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
I have on canadian beer on my list (Maudite), and almost had a second (Molson Canadian).

La Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles and Maudite from Unibroue would all have cracked a list of 50 beers but missed out on my top 20. On any given day though any of them could have made a top of my head list of all time favorites.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)

Don't scrap it, even if you can't approach it with the same mathematics of your other lists. Punt the lists to one of us who expressed an interest in pitching in on beer summaries and we can figure out how to share info and rate picks.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
Don't scrap it, even if you can't approach it with the same mathematics of your other lists. Punt the lists to one of us who expressed an interest in pitching in on beer summaries and we can figure out how to share info and rate picks.

You could also do a 2nd round of voting. Winnow it down to the top 40, send that list around to the people who voted (and to anyone else who asks to get in) and ask them to rank solely from that group.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 06:52 AM)
La Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles and Maudite from Unibroue would all have cracked a list of 50 beers but missed out on my top 20. On any given day though any of them could have made a top of my head list of all time favorites.

I've not tried the Trois Pistoles - is that a Unibroue product as well? La Fin Du Monde is good, but not a fave. Maudite, though, hell yeah.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 06:56 AM)

That's what I was thinking. We can still create a list, and some of us could find a new beer to try.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
I've not tried the Trois Pistoles - is that a Unibroue product as well? La Fin Du Monde is good, but not a fave. Maudite, though, hell yeah.

Yes, Trois is also Unibroue. I encounter it much less often than some of their other products but it might be my favorite dark strong ale of theirs. As for Maudite versus La Fin Du Monde, I slightly prefer Belgian tripels to the darker styles although Unibroue does them all quite well.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
Yes, Trois is also Unibroue. I encounter it much less often than some of their other products but it might be my favorite dark strong ale of theirs. As for Maudite versus La Fin Du Monde, I slightly prefer Belgian tripels to the darker styles although Unibroue does them all quite well.

I had a belgian trappiste on my list, but it was Chimay.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
I had a belgian trappiste on my list, but it was Chimay.

Red, white, or blue? The white (Cinq Cents) made my list and is one of my all time favorite beers.

knight is going to chew us out if we keep divulging our picks prematurely. :lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Red, white, or blue? The white (Cinq Cents) made my list and is one of my all time favorite beers.

knight is going to chew us out if we keep divulging our picks prematurely. :lolhitting

Red for me, at least over the blue anyway. But I've never had the white!

I don't think we're unduly giving anything away here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Red for me, at least over the blue anyway. But I've never had the white!

I don't think we're unduly giving anything away here.

Would it be letting the cat out of the bag to admit that no Anhauser, Miller, or Coors products made my list?

QUOTE (Sox1422 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
I think I only listed out about a dozen beers or so and most of them were Craft Beers.

I tried to avoid putting more than a few craft beers on my list of 20 b/c I figured nobody is going to have the same ones then. I tried to keep it to fairly popular beers that you can find just about anywhere (but not Miller, Coors, Bud, etc.)

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
I tried to avoid putting more than a few craft beers on my list of 20 b/c I figured nobody is going to have the same ones then. I tried to keep it to fairly popular beers that you can find just about anywhere (but not Miller, Coors, Bud, etc.)

I don't get that. I figured it was my favorite beers, not my favorite beers that can be found at 7-11.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I don't get that. I figured it was my favorite beers, not my favorite beers that can be found at 7-11.

Why not? Every time Knight makes one of these lists, it's for popular things that are likely to have many of the same answers so we can create a legit Top 10 or 20 list. If everyone makes lists of beers that no one else is going to have, but you happen to love it and it's from some small brewery, then how the heck are we going to make a Top 10 list? I guess it would only take 2 or 3 people to have the same beer to get it into the Top 5/10.

I mean, I really like a few SweetWater beers (SweetWater Blue would make my Top 20), but I'm not going to include it on my list b/c I don't think you can find that in Chicago (where many of the people on here are from) or many other places outside the Southeast.

Also, I really liked the Dark Lord Imperial Stout (Three Floyds Brewing Co.) when I had one last year and it was probably one of the best 20 beers I've ever had, but I wouldn't include it on my list b/c no one else would. What's the point of making a joint top beer list if everyone's top beers are different? There would be no consensus.

I think much of the appeal in being a beer drinker is always being able to try something new. I'm going to peruse all of the lists to find beers I haven't tasted yet. One of my favorite beers I discovered only through the recommendation of a poster here, G&T

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
I think much of the appeal in being a beer drinker is always being able to try something new. I'm going to peruse all of the lists to find beers I haven't tasted yet. One of my favorite beers I discovered only through the recommendation of a poster here, G&T

I'm gonna high five myself.

:cheers

Meanwhile, would it make sense to redo this as top 10 breweries?

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm gonna high five myself.

:cheers

Meanwhile, would it make sense to redo this as top 10 breweries?

I think the best idea is just to publish the list, but also add on a list of all the other beers that received votes even if they don't make the top group. Then open it up for discussion.