White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
I wonder when the first big deal for the Sox will occur. When was the first big one last year?

The Teahan deal was like right after the World Series but big time trades usually don't happen that early.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
The Teahan deal was like right after the World Series but big time trades usually don't happen that early.

The Thome trade happened the week before Thanksgiving. That's usually my mental starting point. KW seems to like to get something big done early if he can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
The Thome trade happened the week before Thanksgiving. That's usually my mental starting point. KW seems to like to get something big done early if he can.

I'm 100% positive it happened the week of Thanksgiving. I remember it quite well: my sister was a big Rowand fan, and her birthday is Nov 25th. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, i went to Grandstand to buy her an autographed Rowand helmet. On the drive home, the trade was announced. Talk about unlucky timing.

Victor Martinez on the verge on signing with the Tigers.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Serrano reports that Martinez's deal with Tigers will be for four years, $50 million, and that team outbid #RedSox, #WhiteSox, #Orioles,

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Victor Martinez on the verge on signing with the Tigers.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Serrano reports that Martinez's deal with Tigers will be for four years, $50 million, and that team outbid #RedSox, #WhiteSox, #Orioles,

Wow, if they get Martinez and Dunn, they'll sure have a plethora of 1b/DH on the team.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
I'm 100% positive it happened the week of Thanksgiving. I remember it quite well: my sister was a big Rowand fan, and her birthday is Nov 25th. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, i went to Grandstand to buy her an autographed Rowand helmet. On the drive home, the trade was announced. Talk about unlucky timing.

Ya, it was. I remember as well cause it was my freshman year and I was back home from school so it had to be the week of.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Ya, it was. I remember as well cause it was my freshman year and I was back home from school so it had to be the week of.

It was the Tuesday or Wednesday night before Thanksgiving IIRC. I was driving up to the U.P. for a hunting trip when my sister called me and told me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm 100% sure the trade went down Wednesday afternoon around 2PM, with Gio's name coming out an hour or so later.

Yep I was at a party that night and that was when the godlike misconception of Rowand began. There was that group and the folks that thought Gio should not have been included.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Yep I was at a party that night and that was when the godlike misconception of Rowand began. There was that group and the folks that thought Gio should not have been included.

Rowand as a god started in that Yankee's series where he tracked down everything in CF over the last couple of games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Rowand as a god started in that Yankee's series where he tracked down everything in CF over the last couple of games.

Didn't he crash into the wall a few times there too? That always seems to give people the misconception of good fielding and elevates a player's status.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
Didn't he crash into the wall a few times there too? That always seems to give people the misconception of good fielding and elevates a player's status.

Indeed. As does diving for balls and matching catches that someone with normal range could get to standing up. See Jermaine Dye.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Indeed. As does diving for balls and matching catches that someone with normal range could get to standing up. See Jermaine Dye.

Except most of the balls Rowand dove for were out of the normal range of the average center fielder. Jermaine Dye was just straight up bad, Rowand was actually really good with the Sox.

I saw that Koji Uehara wasn't offered arbitration.

Maybe this is that bullpen arm we need. The guy struck out 11/9 last year and walked only 1/9 with a 2.86 ERA.

He also closed out some games. I don't know what he plans on doing (maybe he'll go back to Japan?), but I think he's going to get interest from a good amount of teams.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I saw that Koji Uehara wasn't offered arbitration.

Maybe this is that bullpen arm we need. The guy struck out 11/9 last year and walked only 1/9 with a 2.86 ERA.

He also closed out some games. I don't know what he plans on doing (maybe he'll go back to Japan?), but I think he's going to get interest from a good amount of teams.

Wheeler also wasn't offered, he may be another candidate to look at.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Wheeler also wasn't offered, he may be another candidate to look at.

Both are in the same age range. Uehara's a pretty good dark horse option IMO. His numbers are very good, although when I look at that 58% FB%, something tells me there's something fishy going on.

Troy Renck, who's a pretty highly regarded columnist for the Denver Post, reiterated that the Sox like Ian Stewart when talking about the trade for Gavin Floyd. Makes no sense to me why we could consider trading Floyd for him, and I doubt there's much truth to it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Except most of the balls Rowand dove for were out of the normal range of the average center fielder. Jermaine Dye was just straight up bad, Rowand was actually really good with the Sox.

Ya, I'm not really sure when it became popular to rag on Aaron's defense but he was a very good cf when he was here.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Ya, I'm not really sure when it became popular to rag on Aaron's defense but he was a very good cf when he was here.

Good as in excellent. I don't care whether he was graceful or not. He was a + defender in a White Sox uniform. He passed both the eye and metric tests.