White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
cst_sox cst_sox

Getting the feeling that it's going to be a long winter for Sox fans - think "The Kids Can Play II.''

:)

What does that mean!!! AHHHH!!!!

That we sign no big names, paulie is gone, aj is gone, putz is gone, and all the young guns are blazin???????

IM HAVING A MENTAL BREAK DOWN !!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
What does that mean!!! AHHHH!!!!

That we sign no big names, paulie is gone, aj is gone, putz is gone, and all the young guns are blazin???????

IM HAVING A MENTAL BREAK DOWN !!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

CSNChi_Beatnik

@mrausch86 Cowley's opinion only. They missed out on a key (Martinez) but there are other fish out there. Jerry's money is still green.

I asked him if that was an early April fool's joke...he responded with the above.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
I asked him if that was an early April fool's joke...he responded with the above.

I really like Beatnik. As far as the article, I don't mind going young, but do it right. Don't try to transition yourself into the next era, because that doesn't work unless you have tons of money to cover those holes. They need to trade the CQ's, let go of all FA's other than maybe Putz, possibly look at moving Pierre as well and try to acquire as much prospects as possible.

In the near future, it doesn't seem like the Sox have any studs in waiting and that's a concern. I would even consider trading some of the older guys with a young prospect in order for that to change.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
I really like Beatnik. As far as the article, I don't mind going young, but do it right. Don't try to transition yourself into the next era, because that doesn't work unless you have tons of money to cover those holes. They need to trade the CQ's, let go of all FA's other than maybe Putz, possibly look at moving Pierre as well and try to acquire as much prospects as possible.

In the near future, it doesn't seem like the Sox have any studs in waiting and that's a concern. I would even consider trading some of the older guys with a young prospect in order for that to change.

I have no problem if we go young, IF it is done right. I don't think KW is the right guy to be in charge if we were to go young.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
The Sox should try to get one-year deals with Carlos Pena and Hideki Matsui and try to catch lightning in a bottle. If it doesn't work, dump everyone next July. This organization is a mess right now.

Yuk.

If those two guys are regulars for our Sox, we may be in for a last place campaign ... unless our pitching simply dominates.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Yuk.

If those two guys are regulars for our Sox, we may be in for a last place campaign ... unless our pitching simply dominates.

Matsui is a solid hitter at DH and Pena can kill the ball while playing well defensively, even if he's a K machine. Let's say we can get them for $14M total each on 1-year deals, and then Paulie wants at least $13M per over 3 years. I'd go with Pena and Matsui, have Viciedo around as some insurance, and then take the money saved it put it towards other needs, like bullpen depth.

You mention our pitching though, and we're still going to win with our pitching if we win anything at all. Bringing back Paulie however could very well lead to Kenny trading a SP, and I really don't want that all.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
Matsui is a solid hitter at DH and Pena can kill the ball while playing well defensively, even if he's a K machine. Let's say we can get them for $14M total each on 1-year deals, and then Paulie wants at least $13M per over 3 years. I'd go with Pena and Matsui, have Viciedo around as some insurance, and then take the money saved it put it towards other needs, like bullpen depth.

You mention our pitching though, and we're still going to win with our pitching if we win anything at all. Bringing back Paulie however could very well lead to Kenny trading a SP, and I really don't want that all.

Kenny doesn't really have many other options. Well, I guess he could listen to Cowley and do "The Kids Can Play II." We only have about 10-14 million to spend as the roster is currently constructed, and the only place we even have a legitimate option in the minors to actually step in and replace somebody we traded away is in our starting rotation, unless of course you want De Aza starting in the outfield or Escobar in the middle infield.

Edited by gatnom

I could live with letting Dayan play first all season. Of course Dayan refused to play winter ball didn't he?

That's not good.

If Paulie leaves, just give him the job at first, though. I hope he learns to dig like Paulie could dig.

I'm just not high on Matsui/Pena.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
cst_sox cst_sox

Getting the feeling that it's going to be a long winter for Sox fans - think "The Kids Can Play II.''

:)

Cowley being a columnist here, not a journalist...

CSNChi_Beatnik

@mrausch86 Cowley's opinion only. They missed out on a key (Martinez) but there are other fish out there. Jerry's money is still green.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)

Yeah, most of what Cowley writes is his conjecture, he doesn't get a lot of actual facts because people don't like talking to him. I'd take anything he says with a whole bucket of salt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Yuk.

If the Sox signed Matsui and Pena and also got AJ back, I could live with this lineup:

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Matsui, Quentin, Pena, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Morel. There's some potential there, and the infield defense is real good. And they can do it without giving up starting pitching.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
If the Sox signed Matsui and Pena and also got AJ back, I could live with this lineup:

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Matsui, Quentin, Pena, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Morel. There's some potential there, and the infield defense is real good. And they can do it without giving up starting pitching.

My biggest problem with that lineup? the fact that I have to legitimately ask "Who plays RF, Quentin or Matsui" and not know the answer.

Does anyone really expect the White Sox to go on a spending spree this off-season? Sure, maybe they sign Adam Dunn, but that only means that Paul Konerko isn't coming back (or vice versa). They don't have the payroll flexibility to add premium money without subtracting about the same (Dunn for Konerko as an example). I'm not going to be surprised if Williams makes a trade (Quentin possibly) to try and shore up the defense more and play to the team's strength of starting pitching, but I really don't expect the Sox to do much besides resign Konerko (or try for Dunn), and attempt to sign Putz/AJ. I don't see much else via the free agent market because of Williams' most recent moves of taking on big salary (Rios, Peavy and Jackson) and he still has to worry about upcoming contracts for Ramirez and Danks. As I've said a few times, it's going to be tough for the White Sox to dramatically improve their team because they are likely to swap salary for salary and major league talent for similar talent.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Yeah, Quentin is a liability in RF, but that's all we got right now. De Aza might be a decent defensive replacement if he makes the roster.

I think I'd prefer to see the Sox give Morel the job at 3B. He's cheap, and is a good defender. We need to have a few guys like this to balance the payroll, and could really help to solidify the infield defense.

If they keep Quentin, I'd prefer to make him a DH, which, of course, conflicts with the thought of getting a left handed DH. I just don't see how he can be brought back as a full time RF next season given his issues defensively, and not to mention, his offensive ups and downs. As to who the RF is, no idea, not sure if there's a cheap option they can turn to who is an upgrade defensively.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)

The way you word it, it does sound workable. I'd sub Viciedo for Pena, however.