Sox Listening on Gavin?

DirtySox

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing new. I am sure the Sox would isten to offers on everyone. But, I think it is crazy to trade away our strengths. Starting pitching wins pennants and we have an ace that has been injured for 2 years in a row since coming from San Diego, a couple lefties who struggle at times and a couple iffy issues with the starting pitching and we want to trade Gavin Floyd who can be unhittable at stretches? That's crazy talk

I find it hard to give up Floyd. He's signed to a fair deal and we have cost control on him. I also believe we will ink Danks. However, if Kenny can get the right talent I guess anything can happen.

I doubt he'll consider moving Buehrle and Peavy is unmoveable as of this time so I guess Kenny doesn't have many options since he doesn't have a farm system to attract talent and has limited payroll.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I find it hard to believe that he thinks Peavy is going to be out past June, but he's willing to give away one of our starters.

a few things. They may use Sale as a starter, giving them 6 starters to play with and one as trade bait, presumably Gavin. They also could sign Freddy to be a backup plan to Peavy if Gavin is dealt.

We also dont know who would come back to the Sox if Gavin is dealt to another team, it could be another starter for all we know

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Gavin is gone and has been for a while. He's way to inconsistent and aloof. Gavin, Santos, Escobar + (low level prospect) to ARZ for Justin Upton or St Louis for Rasmus.

Would you rather have Rasmus or Granderson?

Wait... Rasmus is a lot cheaper, isn't he?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
I think the Sox are in a bidding war for Dunn as we speak. Kenny goes crazy after guys he wants and still remembers DET stealing Miguel Cabrera.

I agree about Kenny going after Dunn hard right now. That report about Detroit going after Dunn hard right now is probably making Kenny antsy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
I agree about Kenny going after Dunn hard right now. That report about Detroit going after Dunn hard right now is probably making Kenny antsy.

I also think Dunn's agent is linking this in a last-ditch effort to get the Cubs involved.

Random spazz thought - does anyone think this possibility crossed Kenny's mind: trade Buehrle (and I generally loathe the idea BTW) for pretty much nothing but a couple useful prospects and salary relief, and use Danks in an Upton deal, and then take the money saved and ... gasp ... throw it at Cliff Lee? Because Danks in arb + Mark is around $20M and Cliff Lee + Upton is only a mil or two above that. And that's about the only scenario where I like trading Mark. I'd only do it to take on a better pitcher.

I'd be down for a Buehrle for Rasmus deal. Probably wouldn't work straight up but maybe there is a framework there? Hell if I know. But St. Louis is the only place you could deal Buehrle to without taking a major PR hit. You'd have to spin it in the sense that he always wanted to play there and the opportunity came up to let him go "home" or blah blah blah.

Losing Paulie and Buehrle would be a PR nightmare. Again, doesn't necessarily mean the Sox couldn't win by not bringing those guys back (or in Buehrle case dealing him) but there are PR ramifications you have to consider.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
I'd be down for a Buehrle for Rasmus deal. Probably wouldn't work straight up but maybe there is a framework there? Hell if I know. But St. Louis is the only place you could deal Buehrle to without taking a major PR hit. You'd have to spin it in the sense that he always wanted to play there and the opportunity came up to let him go "home" or blah blah blah.

Losing Paulie and Buehrle would be a PR nightmare. Again, doesn't necessarily mean the Sox couldn't win by not bringing those guys back (or in Buehrle case dealing him) but there are PR ramifications you have to consider.

I think St. Louis laughs in our face if we offer that because of years remaining and salary, which is why I always defend keeping Mark to the point of exhaustion. I doubt we'd get much of a return beyond salary relief (like maybe another team's equivalent of a Morel + Leesman + Infante package) so if we did it it would have to be part of something huge that would not only soften the blow of losing Mark, but also convince the fans that we had made a considerable improvement to the team in the process. It couldn't be some "let's deal Mark and spend the money on an old lefty DH and a reliever" plan.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Random spazz thought - does anyone think this possibility crossed Kenny's mind: trade Buehrle (and I generally loathe the idea BTW) for pretty much nothing but a couple useful prospects and salary relief, and use Danks in an Upton deal, and then take the money saved and ... gasp ... throw it at Cliff Lee? Because Danks in arb + Mark is around $20M and Cliff Lee + Upton is only a mil or two above that. And that's about the only scenario where I like trading Mark. I'd only do it to take on a better pitcher.

Only if Reinsdorf plans on giving up ownership in the next few weeks. No way he approves the type of deal necessary to sign Cliff Lee. He has always been against signing pitchers to longer than like 4 year deals, and I'm sure TEX or NYY will give him 6 or 7.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
I think St. Louis laughs in our face if we offer that because of years remaining and salary, which is why I always defend keeping Mark to the point of exhaustion. I doubt we'd get much of a return beyond salary relief (like maybe another team's equivalent of a Morel + Leesman + Infante package) so if we did it it would have to be part of something huge that would not only soften the blow of losing Mark, but also convince the fans that we had made a considerable improvement to the team in the process. It couldn't be some "let's deal Mark and spend the money on an old lefty DH and a reliever" plan.

St. Louis needs to do something to make Albert sign long term.

If you get someone to take on MBs salary, you aren't getting decent pieces for him.

I'm sure the thought has occurred, but the Sox have never really gone beyond 4 years for any pitcher, and Lee is probably going to get 6 years, despite his age. Quite frankly, I'll be fine if the Sox remain out of the Lee bidding.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)

The Cardinals have absolutely no use for Mark Buehrle, nor John Danks, or really any other starter in the major leagues (aside from those who will be used as injury replacements). They have Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Westbrook, and Lohse all capable of starting games and, together, have something like $35-40 million due to them. They aren't going to look to add a $14 million pitcher when they are trying to keep money to pay Pujols.