Rockies Interested in Floyd?

macsandz

The Denver Post has twice this week referenced Floyd to COL. Both times they have also mentioned that the Sox have asked about Ian Stewart. The Rockies need starting pitching and they likely aren't resigning De La Rosa.

"The White Sox would be willing to discuss trading Floyd, and Renck says the Sox have asked the Rockies about Ian Stewart. Colorado doesn't currently have a third baseman who could replace Stewart, but as Renck reported earlier, the club has interest in a handful of players who could handle the hot corner. The White Sox "like Ian Stewart," Renck said in regards to rumors from earlier in the week that Chicago and Colorado had at least discussed swapping the third baseman for Floyd. Stewart would give the Sox some left-handed pop, possibly in a third base platoon with Dayan Viciedo. "

I'm suggesting:

Gavin Floyd

Teahan

Escobar

The Rockies get quality pitching, versatility & defense. Gavin would be their #2 right away. Teahan is a good fit in COL and Escobar's value likely won't get much higher than right now.

for

Ian Stewart

Dexter Fowler

The Sox unload Teahan's contract, get more versatile, younger & faster by acquiring controlled talent in Fowler & Stewart. Fowler is switch-hitting gazelle in CF that projects as a lead off hitter for years to come (moving Pierre to 9...).

Stewart has always hit for average in the minors and improved his hitting in 2010. He hits for power from the left side and has untapped potential. (Baseball America had him ranked the No. 4 prospect in the minors, behind only Felix Hernandez, Joe Mauer and Delmon Young a few years back.)

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
The Denver Post has twice this week referenced Floyd to COL. Both times they have also mentioned that the Sox have asked about Ian Stewart. The Rockies need starting pitching and they likely aren't resigning De La Rosa.

"The White Sox would be willing to discuss trading Floyd, and Renck says the Sox have asked the Rockies about Ian Stewart. Colorado doesn't currently have a third baseman who could replace Stewart, but as Renck reported earlier, the club has interest in a handful of players who could handle the hot corner. The White Sox "like Ian Stewart," Renck said in regards to rumors from earlier in the week that Chicago and Colorado had at least discussed swapping the third baseman for Floyd. Stewart would give the Sox some left-handed pop, possibly in a third base platoon with Dayan Viciedo. "

I'm suggesting:

Gavin Floyd

Teahan

Escobar

The Rockies get quality pitching, versatility & defense. Gavin would be their #2 right away. Teahan is a good fit in COL and Escobar's value likely won't get much higher than right now.

for

Ian Stewart

Dexter Fowler

The Sox unload Teahan's contract, get more versatile, younger & faster by acquiring controlled talent in Fowler & Stewart. Fowler is switch-hitting gazelle in CF that projects as a lead off hitter for years to come (moving Pierre to 9...).

Stewart has always hit for average in the minors and improved his hitting in 2010. He hits for power from the left side and has untapped potential. (Baseball America had him ranked the No. 4 prospect in the minors, behind only Felix Hernandez, Joe Mauer and Delmon Young a few years back.)

This rumor baffles me. Why are the Sox enamored with Stewart? Is it because he's left handed? He's not a terrible source of power I guess, but he is a rather pedestrian fielder and he is entering arbitration already. He's been a 1 to 1.5 fWAR player thus far as well. Do the Sox think he's going to break out? I guess I don't understand why the Sox wouldn't just give Morel a shot and try and acquire a RF/C/1B via trade instead.

I do love Fowler though. Give.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
This rumor baffles me. Why are the Sox enamored with Stewart? Is it because he's left handed? He's not a terrible source of power I guess, but he is a rather pedestrian fielder and he is entering arbitration already. He's been a 1 to 1.5 fWAR player thus far as well. Do the Sox think he's going to break out? I guess I don't understand why the Sox wouldn't just give Morel a shot and try and acquire a RF/C/1B via trade instead.

I do love Fowler though. Give.

Stewart has huge potential and the Sox could use power at 3B.

The Sox unload critical dollars in this deal and acquire affordable, quality MLB players to lock in for the future. They could take that savings and move to sign PK, Dunn or perhaps Pena or LaRoche if they'd like to invest in pitching.

Fowler -CF

Ramirez - SS

Rios - RF

PK/Pena/Dunn (?)- 1B

Quentin - DH

Stewart/Morel-3B (platoon R/L)

Beckham - 2B

Flowers/Castro

Pierre

I like it.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
Stewart has huge potential and the Sox could use power at 3B.

The Sox unload critical dollars in this deal and acquire affordable, quality MLB players to lock in for the future. They could take that savings and move to sign PK, Dunn or perhaps Pena or LaRoche if they'd like to invest in pitching.

Fowler -CF

Ramirez - SS

Rios - RF

PK/Pena/Dunn (?)- 1B

Quentin - DH

Stewart/Morel-3B (platoon R/L)

Beckham - 2B

Flowers/Castro

Pierre

I like it.

It's alright I suppose. I just don't think it's best utilization of Floyd's trade value. For a team that is supposedly rather strapped for cash, why would you trade for a 3B when it's one of the only spots that you could reasonably fill internally? Granted I don't have any alternative trade proposition, but I'd rather acquire a C or RF (Quentin to DH) through trade and let Morel handle the hot corner.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Only thing I can think of is that they are concerned about Gavin's durability.

I would go with more of his mental make up. He strikes me as very Garland-esque. He has a nice frame, and an easy motion, so I don't think he is much of an injury risk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
I would go with more of his mental make up. He strikes me as very Garland-esque. He has a nice frame, and an easy motion, so I don't think he is much of an injury risk.

Well, he's been injured at the end of the past two seasons...maybe they think his hip will cause trouble in the future.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Fowler away from Coors: .211 .297 .298 .595

Stewart away from Coors: .239 .317 .454 .770

No thanks on either.

I looked up both of these guys stats earlier today and I thought I was missing something. Why would we want them? They seem like they would be the source of a lot of fruatration of they were acquired.... like Teahen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
Francisco bats lefty and would be better power-wise than Stewart.

He also would be a butcher at 3rd. By most accounts he is likely to be stashed away in LF or at 1B. Juan Francisco just isn't a very good prospect unless he learns some plate discipline. He doesn't have many assets other than his power potential.

This is some interesting scouting information on Stewart:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball...k2k1030qrockies

It's surprising to read, from several sources, that he is regarded as a good defensive player. That wasn't the impression that I got reading the posts in this thread. Could we be wrong about his glove?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 02:38 AM)
All I want for Christmas is some defense at 3B, let's not forget last year..

Stewart is loaded with ability and can certainly handle 3B at an adequate level. If it were me, I'd platoon him at 3rd with Morel and if they sign a guy like Dunn, slide Stewart over to 1st.

If true, the organization really must not feel Morel is the answer at 3B. First trading for and extending Teahen and now thinking about trading their biggest trade chip for a 3B. I am a big Stewart guy, though. I would not be opposed to acquiring him in the least. If he can shake the minor bumps and bruises he always seems to get, he'll be big time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Stewart and Seth Smith would be a better return IMO.

They better know they can lock up Danks if they trade Gavin though.

They better know Peavy is gonna be OK as well. I know everybody knows this: the Sox need to upgrade and they don't have a ton of dollars or prospects so they have no choice but to deal from strength.