Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
What angers me is that these ballplayers who are already incredibly wealthy, and claim that their number 1 priority is to win, seem to forget about that come contract negotiation time. Couldn't the guy survive on $10 million a year so we could have signed Putz? Or some other bullpen arms? PK's demands have the potential to hamstring us a bit here, and it frustrates me to no end that the guy doesn't care about that.

I'm happy the guy is back. His bat is definitely going to be needed.

But I'm also going to look at him in a much different light now then I did just a week ago.

lol. You know I like you. But you're pretty naive. I ain't sacrificing no coin for nobody. I can't expect anybody else to.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Just compare this to the Jeter contract, both players 'Club Legends'.

except Jeter's was wildly over market value because the NYY are head an shoulders above anyone in revenue... what did jeter get, like 16m a year? If he went somewhere else, the most I could have seen him getting was like 10-12 and that would have been wildly overpaying... PK likely had greater or equal than 12.5 offers out there, maybe not the 3rd year, but Sox got creative with that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
What angers me is that these ballplayers who are already incredibly wealthy, and claim that their number 1 priority is to win, seem to forget about that come contract negotiation time. Couldn't the guy survive on $10 million a year so we could have signed Putz? Or some other bullpen arms? PK's demands have the potential to hamstring us a bit here, and it frustrates me to no end that the guy doesn't care about that.

But I'm also going to look at him in a much different light now then I did just a week ago.

Guy has saved the Sox probably 5-8 million over the years, and is taking deferred money to stay in Chicago, and you're going to look at him in a different light? Get real. How are you gonna fault the guy for taking what he's worth? Go ahead and ban me from this site, but this might be the dumbest post I've ever seen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)

Why is it money OR winning? Can't he care about both and strike a balance? I think that's just what he did, and for a guy who finished in the top 5 of MVP voting last year, the deal is very fair.

I usually don't like slippery-slope arguments, but here goes: if you're asking him to take less money so we can sign other people, why aren't you asking everyone to take the MLB minimum so they can sign every great player?

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
KW is going to get us bullpen help. He has talked about it as if it is a certainty. He knows the deal in the BP

There wouldn't be too much work to do if they put Sale as the closer and signed that Byrdak guy. You'd just have to sign Freddy (or someone of that ilk) to hold down the 5th spot until Peavy returns.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade in either LF or RF, though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
This is where it starts though. Do you think teams mean to get themselves in trouble when they defer money? Then all the sudden you wake up and you're cutting checks to Luis Castillo in 2024.

come on, the Sox defer one million dollars for 7 years for a special player to the franchise and now you're acting like it's going to be routine?

:headbang :headbang :headbang

What OUTSTANDING NEWS to log in to first thing in the morning. I gave a big "YES" shout out and had 2 workers come over and ask my what happened. Told 'em and got rolling eyes. F off!!! I'm very happy with the terms. I never could see JR letting Paulie leave. Nice job!

To draw a perhaps useless parallel, PK has perhaps known JJ Putz a year. I dont think i'd give any coworker of mine 50% of my next raise (after I had a productive year) much less one that's been working here a year.

"give a million to your grandkids' kids" vs. "give JJ Putz an extra million"

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
I feel bad for Greg Walker as he is really in a no win situation now.

The White Sox line-up is potentially the best in baseball.

No lineup with JP leading off can be the best in baseball. And there's just too many questions marks outside of the godly Adam Dunn. But we're better than last year. That's all one can ask.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
come on, the Sox defer one million dollars for 7 years for a special player to the franchise and now you're acting like it's going to be routine?

If he is a club amabassador who has to go to Soxfest every year the $1M pays for itself.

All he has to do is get drunk and sit in a skybox like Bobby Hall.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
lol. You know I like you. But you're pretty naive. I ain't sacrificing no coin for nobody. I can't expect anybody else to.

People do this all the time, for a LOT less money. People do it in the everyday working world ALL of the time, and manage to live without their cousins turning into homeless people.

Don't get up in front of the fans and say "I might go and play for some other team for less money. It's not necessarily about the money."

Then you and your agent try to hold us up for $15 million a year. Nice Pauly.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
I feel bad for Greg Walker as he is really in a no win situation now.

The White Sox line-up is potentially the best in baseball.

Lol we were one player away from the best lineup in baseball last year? I think we're loads better with Dunn in place of Kotsay, but I think there are a number of teams with better lineups. Also, I can't feel bad for a hitting coach for having too much talent to work with.

Maybe that was a green post?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Less pressure on Beckham and Quentin....my god if they are just average and Alexei decides to hit in April-May, this may be good.

that is one of the things that excite me the most about this line-up since Beck and Q were flat out terrible at the beginning of the year in 2010, if they are OK and more consistent next year this line-up has the potential to be very exciting.

I also like that Dunn gets on base and takes walks, just that alone should help drive-up pitch counts on SPs a little, without at least one high OPS guys in the line-up it's too easy for clubs to go SP to final two guys in the pen, hay is made with the 3/4/5 guys in the 6th inning out of the pen.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Guy has saved the Sox probably 5-8 million over the years, and is taking deferred money to stay in Chicago, and you're going to look at him in a different light? Get real. How are you gonna fault the guy for taking what he's worth? Go ahead and ban me from this site, but this might be the dumbest post I've ever seen.

I'm not going to ban you for calling my post dumb.

You keep thinking he did us a favor though.

It was this or strolling on the Inner Harbor for 3 years.

He did us no favors.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)

Every guy in the league does this. If you don't hold out for the highest price you can, someone else will.

If PK knew from the onset he'd be giving us a hometown discount, then it was in his best interest to play hardball until the last possible second. It seems like the wall of 1B free agents is about to break.

I can remember McGwire giving like this gigantic hometown discount to the Cards in free agency, but I suppose we can look back and think he had steroid guilt or something.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
People do this all the time, for a LOT less money. People do it in the everyday working world ALL of the time, and manage to live without their cousins turning into homeless people.

Don't get up in front of the fans and say "I might go and play for some other team for less money. It's not necessarily about the money."

Well for people that do that good for them. But I know I sure as hell wouldn't do it. Then again, I'm a greedy asshole that watches beheadings on-line. lol. And yes, I'm kinda buzzed.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Every guy in the league does this. If you don't hold out for the highest price you can, someone else will.

I can remember McGwire giving like this gigantic hometown discount to the Cards in free agency, but I suppose we can look back and think he had steroid guilt or something.

If he knew from the onset he'd be giving us a hometown discount, then it was in his best interest to play hardball until the last possible second. It seems like the wall of 1B free agents is about to break.

I guess I am naive then. I thought PK, our captain, wasn't every guy in the league.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
I'm not going to ban you for calling my post dumb.

You keep thinking he did us a favor though.

It was this or strolling on the Inner Harbor for 3 years.

He did us no favors.

he would have ended up with a quality offer from a team from other than the Os IMO. Somebody is going to lose out on Crawford and Lee. Not saying PK is at that level of player, but those teams are going to have money and holes still... Rangers would have been legit option if they lose out on Lee