Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
It is but we'll be able to sign a decent reliever for relatively cheap and then go out and trade for one somehow. Like I said, KW isn't leaving the pen like this, not happening.

Everything I've heard is Thornton or Sale is closer, and they'll sign Byrdak as their other lefty reliever.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I think we're missing here is the fact that we don't know exactly what has transpired over the past three days. We have been going off of tweets and posts from people who have sources, hear things, etc. We don't know that it was all PK who held this up. And we don't know for sure that he was asking for $15 million a year. My speculation is that the sticking point was the third year. And they came to an agreement including the third year with some creative deferrment. I'm not saying PK is innocent at all, but to say he's greedy and he acted like Jeter...I don't know.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
One thing I think we're missing here is the fact that we don't know exactly what has transpired over the past three days. We have been going off of tweets and posts from people who have sources, hear things, etc. We don't know that it was all PK who held this up. And we don't know for sure that he was asking for $15 million a year. My speculation is that the sticking point was the third year. And they came to an agreement including the third year with some creative deferrment. I'm not saying PK is innocent at all, but to say he's greedy and he acted like Jeter...I don't know.

Agreed, great post. We have no clue how much he was asking for, and considering what he finally signed for, it seems like Konerko and Landis holding out for $15 million was incorrect. Whatever happened, we got a good deal out of this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Many posters here didn't even want PK in 2008 or 2009 for $12 million. Now you guys want him in 2012 for $12 million. But I'm the crazy one.

It's not 2008 or 2009. New evidence has cropped up since then.

Lefty: Thornton

Righty: Santos

Long Relief: Pena or someone of that ilk

LOOGY: Byrdak

ROOGY: someone we'll find in the system

Closer: Sale

Where is this huge demand for a high priced 'pen arm? If we get one, great, if not, it isn't like we're running straight scrubs out there...

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)

Where is this huge demand for a high priced 'pen arm? If we get one, great, if not, it isn't like we're running straight scrubs out there...

Gotta sign Byrdak first ;) Overall, it'd be nice to get that LOOGY and one other quality arm and I'd be more than content.

EDIT: And I think the worry among some people is that Santos and Sale aren't very proven. That personally doesn't worry me at all as I'd bet on them being two of the very best relievers in baseball this season(ya, I'm that confident in both of them).

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

I am slightly concerned about that roster but SOOO much can change between now and April, and I think the goal of this offseason is to field a team with no obvious holes, so the money will magically appear if it makes us a division favorite.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
At first you would be shocked the Sox gave Paulie 3 years. I love Paulie but this is an overpay, however if Carlos Pena can get $10 million after the year he had its a bargain.

The key to me is $27.5 million dollars, not 10 versus 13.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
At first you would be shocked the Sox gave Paulie 3 years. I love Paulie but this is an overpay, however if Carlos Pena can get $10 million after the year he had its a bargain.

Yeah, Pena's money for what he produced last year is quite odd. I wonder where that is going to put DLee at, moneywise...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)

Guys at 670thescore + Cowley were raving how this is a 'hometown discount' pretty much and Paulie took great concessions to be back with the White Sox.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Guys at 670thescore + Cowley were raving how this is a 'hometown discount' pretty much and Paulie took great concessions to be back with the White Sox.

Everyone is drinking the coolaid.

Where else was he going to go, folks?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)

I could imagine that the Orioles offered him a similar deal to this. Not huge hometown discount though, especially when the tax rates get calculated. Just like last time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
The key to me is $27.5 million dollars, not 10 versus 13.

Is your concern that he'll be unable to play 1B and produce in year 3? Or that there are going to be tons of holes we can't fill by year 3 and will want that money?

The way I see it, there is a decently aged core and some money coming off the books by then that will mitigate that.

And our best prospect is a 1B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)

Don't get me wrong I said yesterday that I would offer Paulie 2/25, and I'm happy we got him for the next two years. The way I look at it, we got him for 6.5M in 2013 and the deferred money is Jerry's loyalty to a legend/captain of this team. I guess I will take it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
I could imagine that the Orioles offered him a similar deal to this. Not huge hometown discount though, especially when the tax rates get calculated. Just like last time.

Yep. And I would have said go play in Baltimore.

He expressed no interest in Baltimore and even his agent told them that.

It was never a realistic option.