Crawford to Boston, $142 Million, 7 Years

Pale Sox

Red Sox Agree To Sign Carl Crawford

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 8 at 10:33pm CST]

The Red Sox started the Winter Meetings with a splash and they won't leave before making another blockbuster addition. Boston has agreed to a seven-year, $142MM deal with Carl Crawford, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe (on Twitter).

MLBTR

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
And that, my friends, is an AL wrap. Unf***ingbelievable.

I wouldn't go that far. Sports, ESPECIALLY baseball, don't work that way. Boston is going to be very formidable though obviously. This is just a killer for the Yankees. Not only do they see Crawford go to their big rivals in addition to Adrian Gonzalez, but now the Angels are going to go all in for Cliff Lee, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there instead of NY.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
I wouldn't go that far. Sports, ESPECIALLY baseball, don't work that way. Boston is going to be very formidable though obviously. This is just a killer for the Yankees. Not only do they see Crawford go to their big rivals in addition to Adrian Gonzalez, but now the Angels are going to go all in for Cliff Lee, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there instead of NY.

They won 89 or 90 games last year and they were decimated by injuries like no team I can remember in the last 10 years. With reasonable health and bounce back years from Beckett/Lackey, they're the prohibitive favorites.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Jesus. The annual pissing match between the Red Sox and Yankees is getting ridiculious. There really needs to be a cap.

Well of course, we've known that for a while though. It amazes me that some people still take sides in Yankees vs. Red Sox, they're one and the same as franchises nowadays. The Yankees are having a rough offseason though, especially if they whiff on Cliff Lee too (and that's very possible IMO), while the Red Sox are doing big things.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
They won 89 or 90 games last year and they were decimated by injuries like no team I can remember in the last 10 years. With reasonable health and bounce back years from Beckett/Lackey, they're the prohibitive favorites.

They're definitely the favorites, and I'd be shocked if they don't make the playoffs. But to say it's an AL wrap already, I couldn't disagree more. Not with the way the baseball playoffs are.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
it's Carl crawford for crying out loud, not prime Barry bonds, step back and take a few deep breaths

huge HUGE overpay

Agreed there for sure. But Crawford is still a really good player, and can help them win it all in the short term, which is all a team with the financial resources of Boston cares about. That deal isn't going to look good in years 5 through 7 though IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
I might as well have made this thread "Crawford to Boston; Lee to NY" because there's no way in hell the Yankees aren't getting Lee after this.

The Angels have a ton of money to spend, and I bet they go all in for Cliff Lee after losing out on Crawford. Plus, two teams have allegedly offered 7 years for Lee apparently, and the Yankees offered 6.