Crawford to Boston, $142 Million, 7 Years

Pale Sox

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Jesus. The annual pissing match between the Red Sox and Yankees is getting ridiculious. There really needs to be a cap.

Where do you place it though? What is a reasonable salary cap that will affect more than 1-2 teams? I don't think you can legitimately put a cap into place because of 2 out of 30 teams. And then what do you do when you need to make upgrades, you have a rotten contract, and you are right up against the cap? Do you make the contracts in baseball non-guaranteed, like in football? Or partially-guaranteed contracts? Perhaps 50% of the rest of their contract is counted against your cap number if they are released; if the Giants were to cut Zito today, they would owe him $37.75 million (owed $75.5 mill over the next 4 years), and that would count against their cap number this season.

I think a hard cap would be good to have, but it would be very, very messy simply getting the actual rules and regulations into place, and then you have to worry about it passing, because the players wouldn't be happy about having a salary cap either.

Unreal. This offseason would have matched the Yankees from

a few years back if the AGon extension would have went through. Two 140+/7 year deals. Unreal. This will send ridiculous shock waves. Grienke to the Rays, Lee to the Yankees, Angels and Beltre? Rangers lose out big time in all this.

Thank god PK was wrapped up today he would be pretty diserable, after this bomb. This will definitly send shock waves trough the American League the rest of te offseason.

Off topic: the MLB NETWORK coverage of Pena to the Cuba is rodiculous, almos to the point of espn and the yank, sox, and lebron. He hit .196, well Carlis Wrigley day games say hello, also the Boo birds for all your Ks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
And that, my friends, is an AL wrap. Unf***ingbelievable.

Honestly, they were probably the best team in the AL last season barring injury but they were obviously quite banged up. They're once again going to be the best team in the league on paper, just have to see if they hold up or not.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
I was going to reply the exact same thing, except replace Paul O'Neil with David DeJesus.

That one's OK, but I think Crawford has more power than that (especially moving into Fenway). It's better saying Paul O'Neill than Roberto Clemente too, to whom B-R says Crawford compares pretty favorably.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)
The Angels have a ton of money to spend, and I bet they go all in for Cliff Lee after losing out on Crawford. Plus, two teams have allegedly offered 7 years for Lee apparently, and the Yankees offered 6.

I think they're a lot more likely to go after Beltre and Soriano.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Unreal. This offseason would have matched the Yankees from

a few years back if the AGon extension would have went through. Two 140+/7 year deals. Unreal. This will send ridiculous shock waves. Grienke to the Rays, Lee to the Yankees, Angels and Beltre? Rangers lose out big time in all this.

Thank god PK was wrapped up today he would be pretty diserable, after this bomb. This will definitly send shock waves trough the American League the rest of te offseason.

Off topic: the MLB NETWORK coverage of Pena to the Cuba is rodiculous, almos to the point of espn and the yank, sox, and lebron. He hit .196, well Carlis Wrigley day games say hello, also the Boo birds for all your Ks.

The Gonzalez extension will go through, and may as well as this point. The Red Sox were simply waiting until the day that team payrolls were sent into the Commissioner's office for luxury tax purposes to avoid paying it, and then signing him to the extension. I think it's safe to say that Boston will go over the luxury tax.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
That one's OK, but I think Crawford has more power than that (especially moving into Fenway). It's better saying Paul O'Neill than Roberto Clemente too, to whom B-R says Crawford compares pretty favorably.

Haha yeah he's not Clemente at all.

But to be fair to DeJesus, he'd show more power number in Fenway than Kauffman too.

Either way, he's not going to pull a hammy and turn into Pierre.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
They're scary good on paper. Hope for injuries(ya that makes me a bad person but I don't care)!

If they sign Russell Martin, that's gonna go up to maybe 950 runs for the season.