White Sox listening to offers for Buehrle

ozzfest

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
And even if he's scuffing the ball, which I think is what you're implying, that doesn't really explain how good he became.

Dude's got talent and finally put it all together.

No, it's not what I'm implying. I'm just saying that I don't think the 2008 turnaround was due to him suddenly becoming smarter, it was probably that something clicked physically first, and that he's learned how to attack hitters from there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
No, it's not what I'm implying. I'm just saying that I don't think the 2008 turnaround was due to him suddenly becoming smarter, it was probably that something clicked physically first, and that he's learned how to attack hitters from there.

Could be a combination of adjusting mechanics and something clicking mentally. Guys like Lee, Buehrle, and Danks - who are all somewhat lacking in raw stuff - seem to excel because they've mastered those two things.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Could be a combination of adjusting mechanics and something clicking mentally. Guys like Lee, Buehrle, and Danks - who are all somewhat lacking in raw stuff - seem to excel because they've mastered those two things.

I wouldn't say Lee is lacking in raw stuff, after watching his postseasons the past couple years, anyway.

Just revisited the thread and saw my Buehrle/Rasmus comments stirred up a few responses. :)

I've read what was said. Doesn't change my point of view.

In my book, "can't miss outfield prospects" who strike out in 30% of their MLB at-bats are more of a commodity than proven left-handed starters with career sub-4 ERAs (in the AL no less) who can throw 200 innings a year.

You don't like it? Fire me when I become GM. :P

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Just revisited the thread and saw my Buehrle/Rasmus comments stirred up a few responses. :)

In my book, "can't miss outfield prospects" who strike out in 30% of their MLB at-bats are more of a commodity than proven left-handed starters with career sub-4 ERAs (in the AL no less) who can throw 200 innings a year.

Lol.

Yeah, with all due respect, I don't see how anyone could even consider trading Rasmus for Buerhle. Big time, cost-controlled, MLB ready hitting prospect for $14m declining LHP with pedestrian stuff? When you don't have a need for starting pitchers?

I mean, come on, even if STL needed a veteran pitcher, why wouldn't they just get someone cheaper and better?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
Lol.

Yeah, with all due respect, I don't see how anyone could even consider trading Rasmus for Buerhle. Big time, cost-controlled, MLB ready hitting prospect for $14m declining LHP with pedestrian stuff? When you don't have a need for starting pitchers?

I mean, come on, even if STL needed a veteran pitcher, why wouldn't they just get someone cheaper and better?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But +1 if this is a serious post. Nostalgia means nothing in pro sports.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But +1 if this is a serious post. Nostalgia means nothing in pro sports.

No, Nostalgia means nothing TO YOU. It means something to most fans, and for some it means a lot.

I agree that Rasmus is far more valuable that MB, but the idea that MB is "declining" is just silly unless he gets worse next year. His numbers over time say he's not declining.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

Maybe it shouldn't, but it definitely affects teams' decisions (Jeter this offseason, for example. Konerko too.)

Although I agree the Cards probably have no interest in a MB for Rasmus swap.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
No, Nostalgia means nothing TO YOU. It means something to most fans, and for some it means a lot.

I agree that Rasmus is far more valuable that MB, but the idea that MB is "declining" is just silly unless he gets worse next year. His numbers over time say he's not declining.

I meant it means, or shouldn't mean, anything to those that matter. And let's face it, we don't matter. I know for every J4L (yes, I'm speaking in third person), there's 5 gregs. But in the REAL world, or in this case sports world, you don't pass up the opportunity to get better for sentimental reasons. But this would never happen anyway. I was just responding to the ridiculous hypothetical.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)

If you are holding costs and service time equal, sure, I can understand the reasoning. But Rasmus is under control for another 4-5 years, while Buehrle is under control for 1.

Here I think there are 3 points that we can agree on

1) from a pure value standpoint, Colby Rasmus is more valuable than Mark Buehrle

2) Mark Buehrle has a lot of added intangible value to White Sox fans because he's spent his career here

3) This trade isn't going to happen, so it's basically an irrelevant discussion

Edited by witesoxfan