Kerry Wood signs 1 year, $1.5 million deal with Cubs

caulfield12

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
ALL IN, BABY!!!

Going to have to find someone else, Dave Kaplan just reported on his twitter account that Wood and the Cubs are close to finalizing a deal. I think Kaplan is a blow hard and can't stand him, but he's never been wrong when it comes to breaking Cubs news. It's also up on csnchicago.com

Just when things were getting quiet after landing Donkey Kong. This is great and if we indeed add Kid K after landing Crain then JR and the front office are really saying f it were All-In, this has been a great and fun offseason and either way KW and Jr need to plauded and Sox fans need to show up.

Although I do think some of this money is coming from the Bulls losing out on Lebron.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
ALL IN, BABY!!!

Damn well Kerry Wood sucks anyways and walks way to many people who would want him on their team. Jk

but really to want to sign with the cubs looking at that roster compared to us shows Woods desire to win and be part of a division title run. His cubbie persobalty might be to soft for the south side

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
If this means the Cubs use Wood as an 8th inning reliever instead of Marshall, then this is a dumb signing for the Cubs.

Wood/Marshall/Marmol is a decent 7-8-9 staff. If I recall aside from Marmol and Marshall, the Cubs bullpen stunk last year. Say what you want about Wood but this improves their pen. Now I'd like to see us grab one more relief pitcher.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:57 AM)
Wood/Marshall/Marmol is a decent 7-8-9 staff. If I recall aside from Marmol and Marshall, the Cubs bullpen stunk last year. Say what you want about Wood but this improves their pen. Now I'd like to see us grab one more relief pitcher.

I can't see Cubs spending 6 million or so on a 6th or 7th inning reliever.

The timing of all this information is fuzzy, so this means one of two things:

1. The Sox had some money earmarked for the bullpen, went after Wood, and after not getting the response they wanted, moved to sign Crain.

2. The Sox are still looking for a second reliever and could see who else is on the market.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 06:05 AM)
They just gave Carlos Pena $10M.

And compared to some of these other deals, that's not a bad deal at all. Pena had a bad season last year, but prior to 2010, some predicted he'd be in line for a monster deal this offseason. It's a one year deal that keeps them alive to try and get Prince Fielder next offseason when they're able to get some of their big deals off their books (Fukudome, etc).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
And compared to some of these other deals, that's not a bad deal at all. Pena had a bad season last year, but prior to 2010, some predicted he'd be in line for a monster deal this offseason. It's a one year deal that keeps them alive to try and get Prince Fielder next offseason when they're able to get some of their big deals off their books (Fukudome, etc).

I was looking over the team payrolls at that Cot's contracts website and I think the Cubs have over 50 mil coming off the books next year then another 40 mil in 2012. Not sure what the FA classes will look like the next couple of years but they will probably be a bigger player then. However Soriano's contract doesn't end until after 2014, man that's bad.

Sox have 30 mil coming off the books next winter with Thornton, Buehrle, JP and Jackson being FA's. However with some guys due for raises (Thornton, Alexi, Danks), the Sox will probably be less agressive next winter so this is pretty much a go for it year.

Here's what the Kaps blog said about "Kerry wood being close to

singing with the cubs." I don't know if I consider it news.

The Cubs, who have a major need for a veteran right handed reliever are moving towards finalizing a deal with free agent Kerry Wood. Wood, who spent the first 10 years of his major league career with the Cubs spent 2010 with the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees and compiled impressive numbers down the stretch for New York as the Yankees qualified for the post season.

Acquired by the Yankees at the trading deadline, Wood went 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA in 24 games. If he finalizes his deal with the Cubs, Wood should provide tremendous support to Cubs closer Carlos Marmol and along with left hander Sean Marshall will form a very formidable back end of the bullpen.

Wood has made Chicago his permanent home and told me just last week that whatever decision he made about where he would pitch in 2011 had to be a good fit for his family. Being able to stay home and his longtime relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry are huge factors in the Cubs favor.

Per CSN blogs

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Here's what the Kaps blog said about "Kerry wood being close to

singing with the cubs." I don't know if I consider it news.

The Cubs, who have a major need for a veteran right handed reliever are moving towards finalizing a deal with free agent Kerry Wood. Wood, who spent the first 10 years of his major league career with the Cubs spent 2010 with the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees and compiled impressive numbers down the stretch for New York as the Yankees qualified for the post season.

Acquired by the Yankees at the trading deadline, Wood went 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA in 24 games. If he finalizes his deal with the Cubs, Wood should provide tremendous support to Cubs closer Carlos Marmol and along with left hander Sean Marshall will form a very formidable back end of the bullpen.

Wood has made Chicago his permanent home and told me just last week that whatever decision he made about where he would pitch in 2011 had to be a good fit for his family. Being able to stay home and his longtime relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry are huge factors in the Cubs favor.

Per CSN blogs

"Tremendous support" for what, mop up duty after their rotten team gets dusted. The cubs are not going to go anywhere. The only team they might be better than in their own division is the Pirates.

If he picks the cubs because they offer him more money, then great. If he picks them for some silly meathead Kaplanism then I wish him well on his battle for 72 wins this year.

Edited by southsideirish71