Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 07:14 AM)
The British may be an ugly bunch of people, but they sure know how to produce some hot big boobed ladies.

I saw something on Manswers once (so you know it's credible) that you don't want a hand job from a British woman...apparently they don't wash their hands very often.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
I saw something on Manswers once (so you know it's credible) that you don't want a hand job from a British woman...apparently they don't wash their hands very often.

I'm not picky, so she can go right ahead and touch my dicky

Rumor has it DeBeers is already trying to figure out how to exploit it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-...0,6110928.story

LONDON (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.

"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.

Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.

Pulsars are tiny, dead neutron stars that are only around 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) in diameter and spin hundreds of times a second, emitting beams of radiation.

In the case of pulsar J1719-1438, the beams regularly sweep the Earth and have been monitored by telescopes in Australia, Britain and Hawaii, allowing astronomers to detect modulations due to the gravitational pull of its unseen companion planet.

The measurements suggest the planet, which orbits its star every two hours and 10 minutes, has slightly more mass than Jupiter but is 20 times as dense, Bailes and colleagues reported in the journal Science on Thursday.

In addition to carbon, the new planet is also likely to contain oxygen, which may be more prevalent at the surface and is probably increasingly rare toward the carbon-rich center.

Its high density suggests the lighter elements of hydrogen and helium, which are the main constituents of gas giants like Jupiter, are not present.

Just what this weird diamond world is actually like close up, however, is a mystery.

"In terms of what it would look like, I don't know I could even speculate," said Ben Stappers of the University of Manchester. "I don't imagine that a picture of a very shiny object is what we're looking at here."

(Reporting by Ben Hirschler; Editing by Sophie Hares)

The Illinois tollway board passed the new toll increase 7-1. They also plan to widen it between O'hare and Rockford sometime in the next 15 years.

The screws me 2 ways. First, I'm already paying around $80 a month in tolls. Now it's going to nearly double. Second, more construction that I have to drive through every damn day. :angry:

What's really interesting is that I just talked to somebody that said that most of the toll money doesn't even go towards road construction. Instead it goes towards paying salaries and building maintenance. You know, the salaries of the people that just voted to raise the tolls...

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
The Illinois tollway board passed the new toll increase 7-1. They also plan to widen it between O'hare and Rockford sometime in the next 15 years.

The screws me 2 ways. First, I'm already paying around $80 a month in tolls. Now it's going to nearly double. Second, more construction that I have to drive through every damn day. :angry:

What's really interesting is that I just talked to somebody that said that most of the toll money doesn't even go towards road construction. Instead it goes towards paying salaries and building maintenance. You know, the salaries of the people that just voted to raise the tolls...

Funny how that works, huh...

There has been a stray cat around our block the last 2 weeks and a lot of houses have been feeding him. He had been getting more comfortable with being around people and had been hanging out at the same spot until today when 2 people came and took him away. What the hell? You don't live around here, it was obviously a stray kitten, he's not your cat. Jerks! Just makes me mad that a lot of us did all the work to get this cat to come around and someone that nobody knows comes and takes him away.

So, our neighbor's dog was barking loudly until about 4am this morning. Does the nicely worded note from a "concerned neighbor" work? Or should I confront them directly? While the dog barking hasn't been a big issue before now, these are the "toublemaker" neighbors who are always doing this kind of thing (such as starting to shoot off fireworks at 1am, 2 hours after the rest of the neighborhood finished). In short, I want to make sure I say something the first time because it's likely to be a continuing issue since the dog is new to their house (I believe they have a new roommate).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
So, our neighbor's dog was barking loudly until about 4am this morning. Does the nicely worded note from a "concerned neighbor" work? Or should I confront them directly? While the dog barking hasn't been a big issue before now, these are the "toublemaker" neighbors who are always doing this kind of thing (such as starting to shoot off fireworks at 1am, 2 hours after the rest of the neighborhood finished). In short, I want to make sure I say something the first time because it's likely to be a continuing issue since the dog is new to their house (I believe they have a new roommate).

No, see if it happens again. If it's a new roommate, the dog likely kept the others up, too. Saying something after it happened only once seems sort of douche-y. I'm sure others will disagree profusely, but it might just be a one-time mistake.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
No, see if it happens again. If it's a new roommate, the dog likely kept the others up, too. Saying something after it happened only once seems sort of douche-y. I'm sure others will disagree profusely, but it might just be a one-time mistake.

Now that I'm not as pissed off about it, that's what we're going to do. We don't like the neighbors involved, but that's no reason for us to be the jerks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
There is a reasonable possibility that the International Space Station will have to be abandoned in a few weeks following the crash of a Russian supply rocket.

Too bad we don't some sort of a space vehicle which can haul both people and cargo to send up there...