Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
I thought there was some "technical" reason that a la carte isn't feasible, but I could be making that up. I would love to start me up an a la carte cable company, I feel I'd make billions.

With cable going digital, there are no real technical reasons against a la carte. It's 100% $$$$$.

Here's an article from the New Yorker on the subject.

Also, this article in the Atlantic has a good way of looking at it: Bundles increase viewers, which in creases ad dollars. a la carte drives down viewers, which decreases ad dollars, which will increase the cost of the channel to the viewer.

Basically, if a channel charges $2/month for Comcast to carry it, an a la carte plan might cost $4 or more for that channel.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Murph is back on the radio! Siked to hear him back on the air. Now if only ESPN1000 put him on 9-1 weekdays so I could have a legit alternative to the horrendous Mac show which unfortunately took Murph's place on the Score. Mac is the new Coppock.

We use green for sarcasm here.

Although I kind of agree about Mac. Seems to mail it in a lot or not even show up.

Murph is back on the radio! Siked to hear him back on the air. Now if only ESPN1000 put him on 9-1 weekdays so I could have a legit alternative to the horrendous Mac show which unfortunately took Murph's place on the Score. Mac is the new Coppock.

Ugh, no thanks on Murph. Awful.

I am sick of Mac though. All he ever seems to talk about it is how he hung out with this famous athlete, or someone got him these awesome tickets, or he got a new fancy TV or something at his house. We get it, you are successful. You don't need to brag about it on the radio and act like you are just like the average listener.

Haven't been able to spend much time with Val because he has spent a ton of time preparing for his presentations. Will Forte made a bit of a surprise appearance to introduce Val for his presentation, and had less going on, so we've been able to hang out with him quite a bit more. That was just fine by me. He has been an absolute blast to hang out with and even gave me $20.

It's been an incredible weekend, to say the least, and doesn't really end until like 3-4 PM tomorrow.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
Haven't been able to spend much time with Val because he has spent a ton of time preparing for his presentations. Will Forte made a bit of a surprise appearance to introduce Val for his presentation, and had less going on, so we've been able to hang out with him quite a bit more. That was just fine by me. He has been an absolute blast to hang out with and even gave me $20.

It's been an incredible weekend, to say the least, and doesn't really end until like 3-4 PM tomorrow.

That's pretty nifty. Has Kilmer been a jerkoff?

Mike Murphy is a train wreck.

Plus, why would ESPN 1000 replace their best show in Waddle & Silvy?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Mike Murphy is a train wreck.

Plus, why would ESPN 1000 replace their best show in Waddle & Silvy?

Mike Murphy = bad radio. I also have no idea how someone can like both him and B/B, blows the mind.

I think they are only weekends anyway, I don't think Waddle/Silvy are going anywhere?

Just got back from Auschwitz (we're currently visiting Krakow), what an intense place to see. Also, I had no idea that there were 3 different Auschwitz camps, very interesting to see the difference between the two remaining.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I can't imagine the feeling walking those grounds. I know how powerful it was to stand at the top of Little Round Top in Gettysburg PA and imagine the battlefield in 1863. At least those guys had a fighting chance.

When we were living in Europe we visited Dachau, and even though I was only 10 at this time I can distinctly remember being there. Somber, quiet and just completely surreal.

I am applying to the WI bar. It asks if I ever used marijuana. Of course the answer is "yes" while I was in college. It was only a couple times actually and haven't touched it since. I am going to admit to it though they wouldn't find out, but lying is probably worse than admitting it. Anyone have any experience with this? Do they actually care at all?

If it was years ago, and you didn't get in any sort of trouble for it so it's not traceable, I don't know why you'd admit to it. You may be forced to write a letter of explanation or something perhaps. But if the only way they can see if you are lying is by hooking you up to a lie detector, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't happen, I don't know what admitting to it does. I figure it would raise more red flags by checking yes?

You might want to get an answer from someone that did answer yes on it, especially on the WI bar, however.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 01:31 AM)

wite, how did you end up with this opportunity? What exactly are you doing -- just driving him around? Also, what are his "presentations" about?