Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
We had a ton of golfball sized hail where I live (the Fort). My car is pretty dented up, but thankfully none of my windows broke. Quite a few people in my apartment complex's parking lot did have windows smashed out, though, including my roommate.

Looks like the campus area got hit pretty bad (well, bad considering no tornados); north Knoxville didn't get hit as hard.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
how important is to have things done like a transmission flush or spark plugs replaced when your car passes that recommended mileage point?

for newer cars, you could do both around 100k miles. I just changed the spark plugs on my fiance's car that has about 103k miles and they still looked like new. You'll only prolong the life of the car.

Morning after the deadliest tornado outbreak in the U.S. in 25 years. Flip on the TV to see how bad things were now that the sun is up.

NBC: Royal Wedding.

ABC: Royal Wedding.

CBS: Royal Wedding

CNN: Obama's Birth Certificate

MSNBC: Royal Wedding.

Fox News: Commercial Break.

The Weather Channel: America's finest broadcast news source.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
Morning after the deadliest tornado outbreak in the U.S. in 25 years. Flip on the TV to see how bad things were now that the sun is up.

NBC: Royal Wedding.

ABC: Royal Wedding.

CBS: Royal Wedding

CNN: Obama's Birth Certificate

MSNBC: Royal Wedding.

Fox News: Commercial Break.

The Weather Channel: America's finest broadcast news source.

That's what happens when these stations spend tens of millions of dollars to set up shop there in anticipation.

My wife was watching Entertainment Tonight last night and they had night vision cameras to record at night in LONDON. There were so many street lights that the night vision barely worked.

Last death toll number from storms in the south that I saw was 173. I can't remember a toll that high since that big OKC F5 a few years back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
I dunno, I'm not sure I've ever lived anywhere that has had a tornado siren.

Seriously? They are everywhere in the Chicago area, we certainly had them in Iowa, and we even had them in Memphis (only a surprise there because the city is just terrible with its infrastructure). Didn't have them in all areas in Colorado though, only some parts of the Denver Metro had them, other parts did not.

If anybody was wondering, I'm okay. My brother in law was in Tuscaloosa, he almost died. His apartment was hit directly. He was blown out of it and tossed several feet, he saved a woman and her child, but got more hurt in the process. Numerous injuries, lost a lot of blood from a laceration on his foot, concussion, etc. It completely missed us, but came close.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
If anybody was wondering, I'm okay. My brother in law was in Tuscaloosa, he almost died. His apartment was hit directly. He was blown out of it and tossed several feet, he saved a woman and her child, but got more hurt in the process. Numerous injuries, lost a lot of blood from a laceration on his foot, concussion, etc. It completely missed us, but came close.

Wow. Glad to hear he is alive.

Holy s***. Hope he recovers soon.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)

Glad to hear you were not in harm's way, and kudos to your hero brother-in-law. All my good thoughts go out to everybody that has been affected by these horrible storms.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
for newer cars, you could do both around 100k miles. I just changed the spark plugs on my fiance's car that has about 103k miles and they still looked like new. You'll only prolong the life of the car.

Transmission service you should do at or before 75K. If after that fact you do your first transmission service you are more likely to cause harm than good.

Hell for the most part, as long as you change your oil, rotate your tires, replace the brakes, and flush your transmission around the 75K map and than thereafter every 50K miles or so, you should be in pretty good shape.

Air filter is basic repair as it gets dirty and that depends a lot on the environment you live in and such. And your water pump is probably something you might want to do preventively around the 100K mark because if it goes bad, it could actually cause a pretty good amount of damage to your engine (might not do anything, but it can).

And if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you need to remember to change your rear differential fluids every 30K miles or so.

Damn. Wow. Listening to all of you talk about this stuff makes it seem more "real" and hit closer to home, even though I know none of you. I hope all of you and yours stay safe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Last death toll number from storms in the south that I saw was 173. I can't remember a toll that high since that big OKC F5 a few years back.

This one's already up there with the Palm Sunday Outbreak, and could easily surpass it (that one killed 271).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Transmission service you should do at or before 75K. If after that fact you do your first transmission service you are more likely to cause harm than good.

Hell for the most part, as long as you change your oil, rotate your tires, replace the brakes, and flush your transmission around the 75K map and than thereafter every 50K miles or so, you should be in pretty good shape.

Air filter is basic repair as it gets dirty and that depends a lot on the environment you live in and such. And your water pump is probably something you might want to do preventively around the 100K mark because if it goes bad, it could actually cause a pretty good amount of damage to your engine (might not do anything, but it can).

And if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you need to remember to change your rear differential fluids every 30K miles or so.

Yeah just follow the recommended maintenance guide for your vehicle for that one. I've also heard that flushing the fluid later can actually cause more problems.

good to hear everyone made it through.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
This one's already up there with the Palm Sunday Outbreak, and could easily surpass it (that one killed 271).

Yeah, we're up into the 200's now and I think that 271 number will end up being surpassed. It's scary to think how many people would have died in this without modern technology and advanced warning via many avenues. In terms of just the raw number of tornadoes, it looks very possible that yesterday will surpass the all time 24 hour record set during the 1974 super outbreak. The number of reported tornadoes is comfortably above the Super Outbreak number last I looked. I can't ever remember seeing a death toll for an outbreak anywhere near this in my lifetime.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Jpn, I'm glad you're ok. That's why I got on here, to make sure all were ok!!

I'm in Arkansas. The storm that killed all those people in Alabama came right through here, I had my first trip to a storm cellar, scary scary moment! Took our power out for 24 hours, my phone died and Chase was freaking!! But all is well. Still a lot of clean up to do to get vilonia, Arkansas back in order. Today is sunny and warm, if you weren't directly impacted by these storms, you would never know they were here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)

Is that the one that hit MO/IL/IN some decades back, where there will multiple tornadoes of like F4 and F5 all travelling together in a long path?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Is that the one that hit MO/IL/IN some decades back, where there will multiple tornadoes of like F4 and F5 all travelling together in a long path?

I think you're thinking of the "Tri-state tornado" which people still debate whether it was a single tornado the whole way. That was Missoura, Illinois, and Indiana. That one is far and away the deadliest tornado in U.S. history. The Palm Sunday outbreak of 1974 was the most recorded tornadoes on a single day, I believe.

This is already the 3rd deadliest tornado outbreak since 1950. Not sure why 1950 is the break-off date, but I'm guessing it has to do with forecasting and early warning capabilities. The SPC was sending out strong warning statements about this storm a few days in advance.