Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
My friend (Twins fan) and his girlfriend (Cubs fan) have left their dog with me until sunday. Dog is currently sporting a Cubs collar. I'm pretty sure it should go home with a White Sox one.

I'm pretty sure it better.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 06:50 AM)
Whitey Bulger, the 81 year-old Boston mobster who was on the FBIs 10 most wanted list for years and was the inspiration for Jack Nicholson's character in The Departed, got busted last night in LA.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/23/califo....html?hpt=hp_t1

REALLY?!

This is f***ing awesome, and I don't know why it doesn't have its own thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Seriously if the outage is small enough, they might not even know about it. Plus the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I hear ya, I did let them know Wed. morning, and I do occasionally call for updates. There are still 97,000 customers without power and by me it's multiple blocks, several busy streets and stoplights, so I think they are aware.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:12 AM)
Still have no power from Tuesday's storm. Where you at ComEd?

Same here. Fridge and freezer contents will now be toast. Sent the wife and daughter to stay with family. Took a very cold shower this morning. Only good thing was it was a relatively cool night, pleasant with the windows open.

Supposed to be working from home, but that obviously isn't going to happen, so I'm downtown.

We spent about 20 minutes that night in the basement with the tornado sirens going off. After all that and putting the kid back in bed, I wandered the neighborhood with the locals, clearing debris from the streets, checking on people, etc. Crazy big trees and limbs down, a few houses damaged. I think the small tornado that hit Mt Prospect was the same cell that blew through our area shortly after.

Worst part, I think we're going to be one of the ones that takes days to fix, even from now. A huge tree came down and took out the line about 100 feet from our property, but the downed line and tree are in a creek bed that's hard to get to. And the power pole in our back corner that feeds out house is now bent at a disturbing angle under the weight, so its possible they have to replace our pole - which is not accessible from a driveway or alley. This might turn out to be ugly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Call them. Repeatedly.

When I originally called ours in Tuesday night, ComEd was so busy I couldn't even get an open circuit to call them. Not just unable to get a person, or get into their system... couldn't even get a circuit in. Finally got into their automated system like an hour into trying.

Still have two full blocks out in our neighborhood.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
It wasn't much of a discussion... that was the problem!

I know :lol: People don't care about legitimate news. It's too bad that Bulger wasn't caught because he was secretly on Dancing with the Stars since then it'd be huge news in America.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Ok, this is pretty darn cool, and not just because somewhere on the way back on this technique you run into my name.

Were dinosaurs slow and lumbering, or quick and agile? It depends largely on whether they were cold or warm blooded. When dinosaurs were first discovered in the mid-19th century, paleontologists thought they were plodding beasts that had to rely on their environments to keep warm, like modern-day reptiles. But research during the last few decades suggests that they were faster creatures, nimble like the velociraptors or T. rex depicted in the movie Jurassic Park, requiring warmer, regulated body temperatures like in mammals.

Now, a team of researchers led by the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) has developed a new approach to take body temperatures of dinosaurs for the first time, providing new insights into whether dinosaurs were cold or warm blooded. By analyzing isotopic concentrations in teeth of sauropods, the long-tailed, long-necked dinosaurs that were the biggest land animals to have ever lived—think Apatosaurus (also known as Brontosaurus)—the team found that the dinosaurs were about as warm as most modern mammals.

"This is like being able to stick a thermometer in an animal that has been extinct for 150 million years," says Robert Eagle, a postdoctoral scholar at Caltech and lead author on the paper to be published online in the June 23 issue of Science Express.

I'm just gonna repeat the main aspect of my earlier post. And thanks to whoever did the moving ;)

I really hope he drags up a lot of stuff about dirty FBI agents/cops, etc. I'm very excited to see what comes of this.

I thought Bulger was older than 81, though. Perhaps I never actually looked into his age or thought too much of it, but people always just assumed he was dead. Because of that, I just sort of figured that he must be like 90 or older.

I assume that they charge him and the girlfriend to the full extent of the law. Even though he's an old man and probably of little harm to anyone at this point, I want this guy to know that he will never breath another free breathe. I feel like he's one of those idealized gangsters that people are sort of "glad" got away with it. I hate that mentality and I want to see that image torn down, to see this broken and sickly old murderer's face as the bars slam in front of him. Maybe the good guys do win more often than not in the end.

Perhaps I'm a little more idealistic than most in regards to this, but I'm excited.

Any health professionals out there?

Every once in a while, when I really stretch out my upper body or torso, I get this crazy sharp pain in my sternum and it'll linger for a few hours, sometimes up to a day or 2. It can get really painful when I move around too. It's a sharp pain, almost feels like I strained a muscle in my sternum or ribcage or something. If I take a really deep breath afterwards, I can feel it, but it isn't necessarily painful.

Any ideas?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:27 AM)
Any health professionals out there?

Every once in a while, when I really stretch out my upper body or torso, I get this crazy sharp pain in my sternum and it'll linger for a few hours, sometimes up to a day or 2. It can get really painful when I move around too. It's a sharp pain, almost feels like I strained a muscle in my sternum or ribcage or something. If I take a really deep breath afterwards, I can feel it, but it isn't necessarily painful.

Any ideas?

PM ptatc. He's a physical therapist