2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
You have to be joking me.

Why. It was highly entertaining, Cage did a fantastic job in it, and the movie received mostly favorable reviews everywhere including four stars from Ebert.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the A-Team.

I know most of you guys are probably just a little too young to have watched the original when it was on NBC on Friday nights. I loved the casting when I saw the trailer, and watching the movie, the actors obviously studied the television show to try and learn their characters, which was nice for a change. Obviously it was really corny and there was too much CGI involved, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Brought back a lot of great memories.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
the last movie Cage made that I enjoyed was Matchstick Men. All of his action movies are ridiculously over the top and full of his corny one liners

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
CON AIR

Matchstick Men came out in 2003, Con Air came out in 1997. I enjoyed Con Air, I enjoyed The Rock, but those were the beginning movies of a long string of movies that Cage didnt stray much from the formula. Season of the Witch looks to be the weakest imitation of the bunch.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Your taste. It's so bad!

Just make sure you watch the theatrical version. I made the mistake of watching the extended version on blu ray the other day. A bunch of extra scenes that really slowed things down. Enjoyed the movie immensely at the theatre.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
Just make sure you watch the theatrical version. I made the mistake of watching the extended version on blu ray the other day. A bunch of extra scenes that really slowed things down. Enjoyed the movie immensely at the theatre.

I haven't watched my Blu Ray copy but didn't know it was an extended version. I hope it is not cuz I loved the theatrical version and these extended versions can hurt a movie, lik eyou said.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
I haven't watched my Blu Ray copy but didn't know it was an extended version. I hope it is not cuz I loved the theatrical version and these extended versions can hurt a movie, lik eyou said.

The copy I had rented offered you the choice to chose either version. I accidentally clicked extended, but was too lazy to go back and change it. I regretted it.

Catching up on more movies

The Company Men 3.25/4.0 (depressing, but quite well done, almost as good as UP IN THE AIR in many ways, Costner looking old but actually becoming a better actor with age)

True Grit 3.5 (wish I hadn't just watched the original 2 weeks ago, it would have been much better not knowing what would happen)

127 Hours 3.5 (great job by Franco, I tried hard to watch THE SCENE and couldn't quite stomach it)

The Fighter 3.75 (I actually enjoyed Cinderella Man and the last Rocky movie almost as much, all very good movies...The Fighter because of Bale's performance as well as Amy Adams in an unchacteristic streetwise role has to be ranked #1, what was that movie she played in where she ran a cleaning service?)

The A-Team 3.0/3.25 (surprisingly better than I thought it would be)....the impersonations were close to spot on, really recaptured the 'feel' of that show in my mind

Secretariat 3.75 (probably my favorite of all the movies I just watched, that or Fighter....I know it's hokey and Disney, it's one of those movies like Miracle, Seabiscuit or The Rookie that you can't help rooting even though you know exactly what's going to happen...a lot of people have compared it to THE BLIND SIDE because of the religious overtones, but this was the far superior movie)

Edited by caulfield12

I dare anyone to admit they've seen Season of the Witch...

Meanwhile, Armond White (NY Post film critic) sparred with Darren Aronofsky over recent reviews at a film awards night...White basically argued Kanye West's "Runaway" video was much better than Aronofsky's work, etc.

Since Aronofsky brought up the subject, let's look at the record. What did White write about Aronofsky? He said Black Swan was a "ridiculous psychological thriller ." He said, "Nina’s artistic struggle only represents the indulgence of escapist filmmaking. He pretends that wacky thoughts and paranoid hysteria are the stuff of great cinema more so than the concentration and discipline that go into a ballet dancer’s skill and hard work." He said, "This berserk combination of Repulsion and The Red Shoes shows how Aronofsky, since his debut feature Pi, has come to specialize in specious deep thoughts—usually melding them to sentimentality (The Wrestler) or sensationalism (Requiem for a Dream). He’s gotten away from the original ethnic emphasis that distinguished Pi’s story of Jewish paranoia as an exploration of Hasidic arcana. The way Black Swan deprives Upper West Side art maven Nina of any specific ethnic characteristics, makes it a horror story in more than one way. Aronofsky’s ethnic denial and escape into Nina’s psychological trauma actually trivializes her artistic pursuit. Turning art into genre movie silliness is a careerist’s dance."

Of "The Wrestler," Aronofsky's previous film, White wrote , "Director Darren Aronofsky has made a literal-minded parable about suffering and mankind’s miserable existence. Aronofsky inflicts as much pain on the audience as self-flagellating Ram Jam does when brutalizing/mutilating himself in and outside the ring. . . .Sanctimony like this appeals primarily to cynics who scoff at Mel Gibson’s sincerity yet cheer Aronofsky’s repulsive, violent nihilism.The message that life is hell is a pseudo-intellectual’s version of professional wrestling bunkum. ...in The Wrestler, Rourke’s tenderness is degraded and made pitiful—another selfexploiting tabloid spectacle. Ram Jam is a distorted white working-class stereotype, but Aronofsky can’t tell courage from vainglory, foolhardiness from sacrifice. Shame on Bruce Springsteen for contributing a self-pitying title song to Aronofsky’s indie artsiness."

nypost.com