2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead time in movieworld....

Did anyone see THE GREEN HORNET? Ebert gave it a 1 star, quite unusual for him.

Of Gods and Men and Exit Through the Gift Shop...both "high recommends"

Tried to watch Season of the Witch online and gave up after an hour...Burlesque was so-so at best and not an Aguilera fan (she has a great voice, you have to give her that much, but as an actress, forget it), Love and Other Drugs was actually better than I thought it would be because I liked Jake Gylenhaal's character (Anne Hathaway, not so much, except for boobs) and Hank Azaria, he's one of those character actors like Steve Buscemi, Stanley Tucci and Richard Jenkins I almost always enjoy, but never quite rising to Agadore Spartcus in The Birdcage...(even watching the original True Grit, it made me think of Nathan Lane's John Wayne impression, quite hilarious)

Conviction you'll like if you are a Hilary Swank or Sam Rockwell fan, based on true story...that role is a "fastball down and in" for LH hitter Hilary Swank, in my opinion

Will try to watch Hereafter and She's Out of My League (yes, reaching the bottom of the barrel) and figure out some better ones to watch from the last five years or so that I haven't already seen....any recommendations?

Am going to watch The King's Speech, will be interesting to see if Social Network wins the OSCAR, all momentum seems to be pointing that direction.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Dead time in movieworld....

Did anyone see THE GREEN HORNET? Ebert gave it a 1 star, quite unusual for him.

Of Gods and Men and Exit Through the Gift Shop...both "high recommends"

Tried to watch Season of the Witch online and gave up after an hour...Burlesque was so-so at best and not an Aguilera fan (she has a great voice, you have to give her that much, but as an actress, forget it), Love and Other Drugs was actually better than I thought it would be because I liked Jake Gylenhaal's character (Anne Hathaway, not so much, except for boobs) and Hank Azaria, he's one of those character actors like Steve Buscemi, Stanley Tucci and Richard Jenkins I almost always enjoy, but never quite rising to Agadore Spartcus in The Birdcage...(even watching the original True Grit, it made me think of Nathan Lane's John Wayne impression, quite hilarious)

Conviction you'll like if you are a Hilary Swank or Sam Rockwell fan, based on true story...that role is a "fastball down and in" for LH hitter Hilary Swank, in my opinion

Will try to watch Hereafter and She's Out of My League (yes, reaching the bottom of the barrel) and figure out some better ones to watch from the last five years or so that I haven't already seen....any recommendations?

Am going to watch The King's Speech, will be interesting to see if Social Network wins the OSCAR, all momentum seems to be pointing that direction.

Watched that a couple weeks back. Fascinating film.

You think the whole thing was a hoax by Banksy? There was some speculation that it was.

Blue Valentine is now my favorite film from 2010. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are incredible. I think it's a movie that you'll either love or hate, because it's pretty intense. Consider yourself warned.

On a lighter note, Easy A was surprisingly funny.

I guess this is Colin Firth week for me so far. A Single Man and The King's Speech. Although Love Actually, still, is my all-time favorite of his.

Has anyone seen Hereafter? The reviews were so mixed (Ebert gave it a 4), I didn't know what to expect. It's obviously a BIG topic to deal with in a movie, but I thought it was quite well-done and thought-provoking. It wasn't Gran Torino or Million Dollar Baby, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Damon's perhaps evolving into one of the top 3-5 actors of his generation.

You can put him right up there with Bale, Russell Crowe, Depp, DiCaprio and anyone else you might care to name...Will Smith when he has the right role, too.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Blue Valentine is now my favorite film from 2010. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are incredible. I think it's a movie that you'll either love or hate, because it's pretty intense. Consider yourself warned.

On a lighter note, Easy A was surprisingly funny.

I think I'm developing a man-crush on Ryan Gosling. I've liked every movie I've seen him in.

And yes, Easy A wasn't bad.

I struggle to see how Bane can be pulled off in a realistic way. This should be interesting as I fully trust Chris Nolan.

Catwoman, well, I'll be interested to see the costume (I wonder if Kyyle has heard anything about which design they may go with from the previous Batman universes).

I don't know if Anne Hathaway has the look though, as the Catwoman I'd hoped for would be much less white. :P It'll be interesting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
replace hathaway with halle barry and i heard the same thing. A bad movie is a bad movie.

I'm sure people had reservations when they heard Ledger was going to be the new Joker.

At this point Nolan hasn't failed to deliver in this franchise so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Saw True Grit. The ending was a lot more depressing than the original movie (haven't read the book) Overall good movie. Liked John Wayne better than Jeff Bridges, but Mattie Ross was awesome in this movie. I didn't hate Matt Damon like I thought I was going to in this role. I guess I forgot how annoying his character was supposed to be and how well he can pull that off. While there are a lot fewer westerns that come out nowadays, the ones that do come out tend to be really good and I'm fine with that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
replace hathaway with halle barry and i heard the same thing. A bad movie is a bad movie.

halle berry did look good in leather. she did not, however, have nolan directing and goyer/nolan writing the story.

as stated before, i will give nolan the benefit of the doubt after seeing ledger pull off the joker

I'm hoping the Eva Green as Talia al Ghul rumors are true.

Really rate her as an actress, and she'd make a for a really good love interest / femme fatale in that movie.

Hardy as Bane will be very interesting, he'll have to bulk up quite a bit.