2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Im sure. IIRC it was your moms credit card, not yours, right? ;)

Yuuuuup. Haha. I told her but she said not to worry because the CC company would call her for any suspicious activity, and then low and behold, she got a call that things were purchased on Miami. Not sure if related, but it fit the time frame.

A hacking group claims to have hacked psn again and taken info from around a million users. And if the details from the hackers is correct, it sounds like Sony half-assed it.

It just seems to keep getting worse for Sony.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
A hacking group claims to have hacked psn again and taken info from around a million users. And if the details from the hackers is correct, it sounds like Sony half-assed it.

Waiting for Sony comment.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
Yuuuuup. Haha. I told her but she said not to worry because the CC company would call her for any suspicious activity, and then low and behold, she got a call that things were purchased on Miami. Not sure if related, but it fit the time frame.

that was it. 100 percent

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 02:43 AM)

The hackers, who call themselves LulzSec, said they pulled off what they described as an elementary attack to highlight Sony's "disgraceful" security.

"Every bit of data we took wasn't encrypted. Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext, which means it's just a matter of taking it," LulzSec said in a statement. "They were asking for it."

Sony Pictures, a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, said on Thursday it is aware of the LulzSec statement.

"We are looking into these claims," said Jim Kennedy, executive vice-president of global communications for Sony Pictures Entertainment.

The data which includes passwords, email addresses, phone numbers, home addresses, dates of birth was posted to the LulzSec website and appeared to be at least partially genuine.

The Associated Press called a number listed by LulzSec as belonging to 84-year-old Mary Tanning, a resident of Minnesota. Tanning picked up the phone, and confirmed the rest of the details listed by LulzSec including her password, which she said she was changing.

"I don't panic," she told the AP, explaining that she was very seldom online and wasn't wealthy. "There's nothing that they can pick out of me," she joked.

Several other people contacted by the AP confirmed that their passwords had been published online. Many were angry and distressed.

"If this is so, I'm very upset," said Elizabeth Smith, from Tucson, Arizona. "I'm very disappointed that Sony would not protect things like that."Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
I'm glad someone else said this... Where is all of the outrage for the people committing crimes? Weird.

No! They are doing the public a service by letting them know that Sony has bad security. What if someone hacks them!??!

Oh wait.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
No! They are doing the public a service by letting them know that Sony has bad security. What if someone hacks them!??!

Oh wait.

Yeah, this case appears to be a little more malicious than, say, Anoymous taking down an "internet security expert" firm using default backdoor passwords.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Well, the Welcome Back package is now live, so we can download our free s*** now.

w00t!

But the hacking thing is basically like saying someone deserves to be robbed for not having home security.

At some point, the federal government needs to step in and send the hackers to jail. I guarantee once consequences start happening, a lot of the hacking would stop.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
w00t!

But the hacking thing is basically like saying someone deserves to be robbed for not having home security.

At some point, the federal government needs to step in and send the hackers to jail. I guarantee once consequences start happening, a lot of the hacking would stop.

Do you really think the government wouldn't arrest them if they could?

hackers wouldnt be good hackers if they couldnt cover their trails. a lot of hackers also reside outside of the US, which makes it another federal governments problem.

Basically, unless an international internet task force is created and supported by all major governments, these guys will continue to do their thing without getting harassed. The dumb hackers get caught, the smart hackers keep moving

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
w00t!

Or she was asking for it by the way she was dressed...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Error code when trying to log onto PS Store. Why am I not surprised?

Getting overloaded, keep trying. Also, once you make the 'purchase', if you get disconnected from the store, the download will be in your PSN => account management => transactions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Do you really think the government wouldn't arrest them if they could?

I know, but when they do press releases, that has to make them somewhat traceable.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
hackers wouldnt be good hackers if they couldnt cover their trails. a lot of hackers also reside outside of the US, which makes it another federal governments problem.

Basically, unless an international internet task force is created and supported by all major governments, these guys will continue to do their thing without getting harassed. The dumb hackers get caught, the smart hackers keep moving

True

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Or she was asking for it by the way she was dressed...bv

Yes

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Error code when trying to log onto PS Store. Why am I not surprised?

Overload by everyone getting on at once.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)
PS3 broke today right after I activated my 30 free days of PS+. :(

Even worse, I have a rented game inside the machine. Ugh. f*** my life.

Gamefly I'm hoping?

I got Little Big Planet from the welcome back package. I had heard it was a good game and never gave it a chance and it got pretty addictive. Anyone who hasnt tried it Id recommend getting it as one of your welcome back games.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
I got Little Big Planet from the welcome back package. I had heard it was a good game and never gave it a chance and it got pretty addictive. Anyone who hasnt tried it Id recommend getting it as one of your welcome back games.

I thought about it, but I'm pretty pleased with Infamous and Wipeout so far. Infamous is surprisingly fun and Wipeout is a solid racing game considering I didn't have any in my collection.