2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

Wii U more powerful than than 360 and PS3. That's good for Nintendo and 3rd party support, as I don't think anyone expects the next Xbox or PS4 for a few more years. The 3rd party games montage I thought were a great showing and Nintendo really had the only notable conference this year. They still have two more conferences to come (where Brawl and Zelda SS have been announced in the past), so I guess we can expect even more from them.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read IGN's breakdown of the Nintendo conference, they had some pretty high praise for WiiU, especially the controller. They said it looks bulky and awkward but in reality it is pretty light and feels comfortable in your hand.

I just cannot imagine those things being cheap though.....

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
I just read IGN's breakdown of the Nintendo conference, they had some pretty high praise for WiiU, especially the controller. They said it looks bulky and awkward but in reality it is pretty light and feels comfortable in your hand.

I just cannot imagine those things being cheap though.....

Yeah, I think it looks great.

To say touch screens are a "gimmick" is stupid. The DS is a testament to that as it's the best selling console of all-time with a software library better than its counterparts. Meanwhile tablets and phones have adapted such technology as their primary interface for a reason: it works. The touch screen is definitely the most exciting feature of everything the Wii U is bringing to the table. The rest is pretty standard stuff for a video game console.

The big worry though is of course price. I'm really interested in hearing what they'll say, because the system itself is says to be very powerful. Put that with a tablet-esque controller? Hopefully they can pull it off.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
To say touch screens are a "gimmick" is stupid. The DS is a testament to that as it's the best selling console of all-time with a software library better than its counterparts. Meanwhile tablets and phones have adapted such technology as their primary interface for a reason: it works.

For games, touch screens are a gimmick.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
Yeah, I think it looks great.

To say touch screens are a "gimmick" is stupid. The DS is a testament to that as it's the best selling console of all-time with a software library better than its counterparts. Meanwhile tablets and phones have adapted such technology as their primary interface for a reason: it works. The touch screen is definitely the most exciting feature of everything the Wii U is bringing to the table. The rest is pretty standard stuff for a video game console.

The big worry though is of course price. I'm really interested in hearing what they'll say, because the system itself is says to be very powerful. Put that with a tablet-esque controller? Hopefully they can pull it off.

The DS appealed to a lot of little kids. Most of its games are terrible.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
The DS appealed to a lot of little kids. Most of its games are terrible.

This.

I feel like when the controller is the main draw of a console, its a gimmick.

The games need to be the main draw, and I feel like a lot of big developers are gonna do what they do with PS3 and 360 games, ignore the quirks of the controller (like how virtually no 3rd party games use SIXAXIS) and since the controller is the big draw, big 3rd party titles like Assassin's Creed and LA Noire will never see the light of day on WiiU and thus, it won't regain the "core" market.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
To say touch screens are a "gimmick" is stupid.

What? No. Go watch the video montage of the controller in action and the whole thing is a gimmick. Oh! I can set the controller down on the ground and pretend like there's a golf ball there for my swing. GIMMICK. Oh! I can put the controller up to the screen and it displays the same thing the console displays! GIMMICK.

I saw two actual applications for such a device - 1) to be able to play the same game but not on a big screen (i.e., combining the ps3 with the psp...something i was hoping sony would announce) and presumably away from the console (that wasn't clarified in the part of the presentation I saw....can you take it to work and continue playing the same game? Or is it limited to a certain range/network with the console?), and 2) the limited DS component of giving you the extra screen for menus (though in the case of the DS you still couldn't USE the 2nd screen. You could look at it, but still had to push a button to move it to the "main" screen you're playing on).

I mean, don't get me wrong, i'll go buy this thing and be excited like everyone else. But i've hated the whole motion control craze the last few years. It's nothing but a gimmick to get old people and little kids to play games. For real games it serves little to no purpose, despite what they say (i'm looking at you Kinect). This controller feels like the same thing - remove the focus from actual games and actual gameplay to peripheral items like controllers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
1) to be able to play the same game but not on a big screen (i.e., combining the ps3 with the psp...something i was hoping sony would announce) and presumably away from the console (that wasn't clarified in the part of the presentation I saw....can you take it to work and continue playing the same game? Or is it limited to a certain range/network with the console?),

It streams the screen image from the console; it can't play anything by itself.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
It streams the screen image from the console; it can't play anything by itself.

Which is probably why it could be affordable. It's not an actual stand-alone device, so it wouldn't require too much hardware.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
This.

I feel like when the controller is the main draw of a console, its a gimmick.

The games need to be the main draw, and I feel like a lot of big developers are gonna do what they do with PS3 and 360 games, ignore the quirks of the controller (like how virtually no 3rd party games use SIXAXIS) and since the controller is the big draw, big 3rd party titles like Assassin's Creed and LA Noire will never see the light of day on WiiU and thus, it won't regain the "core" market.

I am pretty sure I heard that AC has already been announced for the WiiU.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)

Has Rockstar ever published a Nintendo console title?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
Are you sure? I thought I heard an article that said you can take your game with you, as it plays remotely from your system.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
darksiders 2 and arkham asylum were also announced for WiiU, as was Lego Stories which is sounding like a MMORPG

Ok, I stand corrected.

But look at those.

Arkham Asylum...the game is old.

Assassins Creed U? Whenever the consoles name needs to be in there, its going to be a different version. I'm expecting something similar to "Madden" on the Wii. A dumbed down AC.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Ok, I stand corrected.

But look at those.

Arkham Asylum...the game is old.

Assassins Creed U? Whenever the consoles name needs to be in there, its going to be a different version. I'm expecting something similar to "Madden" on the Wii. A dumbed down AC.

well, it has an entire year before it hits the shelves, so i am going to sit back and see what happens. you have buried it based on speculation

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
well, it has an entire year before it hits the shelves, so i am going to sit back and see what happens. you have buried it based on speculation

No, I buried it for the core market.

This thing well sell like hotcakes. Doused syrup mixed with ambrosia. But to the core market? History is telling me that not many developers are gonna make multi-platform games, with relatively similar controls for 360 and PS3, then new ones to take advantage of the iPad.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
No, I buried it for the core market.

This thing well sell like hotcakes. Doused syrup mixed with ambrosia. But to the core market? History is telling me that not many developers are gonna make multi-platform games, with relatively similar controls for 360 and PS3, then new ones to take advantage of the iPad.

History tells you that? You are acting like nothing has ever changed in the console market. Nintendo may have focused on the lighter side of gaming through the gamecube and wii, but they are still a pretty heavy hitter. Im sure developers will jump at the chance to put a title on Nintendo, whatever it may be. Now that the controller has come back to something a little more like a normal controller(scheme wise, minus the touch screen) and it isnt so focused on the motion aspect I think we will see some more titles that core gamers will appreciate.

Wii U has been announced as the lead version of Darksiders 2. It doesn't get any more "core" than that. Mark Rein also said similar things about the new alien game and said how amazing the unreal engine works with it. Sounds like Nintendo knows what they're doing from what we've seen

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Wii U has been announced as the lead version of Darksiders 2. It doesn't get any more "core" than that. Mark Rein also said similar things about the new alien game and said how amazing the unreal engine works with it. Sounds like Nintendo knows what they're doing from what we've seen

there have been rumors that crystal knights is working on a sequel to Eternal Darkness too, if that happens i will be ecstatic.

this new alien game, is it going to be another Conduit sequel?

ah yes, that is also awesome news. im pretty stoked about ridley scott directing "Prometheus". apparently the Xenomorphs will be pretty crazy in this movie, which should translate pretty well into a game

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Just saw an ad, Free Xbox 360 with a Windows 7 PC purchase.

Been out for a few weeks, I believe it's with any Win7 laptop over $700.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)

Also, it sounds like it's the original AC. With Ubisoft focused on Revelations right now, I highly doubt AC will be all that different. They are churning out major AC releases every year and using multiple studios to do it. Any remastered AC for the new Wii (I hate using that new name, while I know Project Cafe was never going to be the name it was much better than the college version of Wii) will probably be pretty close to the original just because I doubt they'd spend the time to change it much.