2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Hey, I don't disagree with you. Nintendo's 1st party stuff absolutely destroys what any other company can bring to the table. But it is clear their 3rd party stuff has been lacking for 3 generations now. That's why I'm adamant about defending the Wii U. They seem like they are focused on getting 3rd parties back. I don't see a reason to hate on the Wii U just yet, especially when we know very little about it. But the plans seem to be in place. (and on a side not, it's hardware is looking pretty damn good too...from what little we know of it).

I didnt mean it to come off as I was arguing with you, what I was trying to convey was that you are able to discuss the hardware of the WiiU in your arguments, whereas I am usually pointing at the titles. If the WiiU looks better that the PS3 and 360, albeit only for a few short years before they roll out their new consoles, that will be great for me. Honestly, the PS3 and 360 set and reset the standard, and what their finished products look like are incredible. I cannot wait to see Nintendo do something like that with one of their first party titles like Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, etc, and I cant wait to finally play a Ninja Gaiden and Darksiders game on the WiiU as well.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Honestly, the PS3 and 360 set and reset the standard, and what their finished products look like are incredible. I cannot wait to see Nintendo do something like that with one of their first party titles like Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, etc, and I cant wait to finally play a Ninja Gaiden and Darksiders game on the WiiU as well.

Mario with graphics just doesn't seem like Mario though. That would be like making an HD Atari. What's the point? The identity of Mario is 2D sidescrolling. What are graphics going to do for something so graphically limited in nature?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
Mario with graphics just doesn't seem like Mario though. That would be like making an HD Atari. What's the point? The identity of Mario is 2D sidescrolling. What are graphics going to do for something so graphically limited in nature?

Um, Super Mario 64??

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
it still had to be cartoony, mario in a world that looked real would be the suck.

Yea, but it can look great in 3d, it doesnt have to look like a real world but great graphics could definitely work if done right.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)

previously mentioned mario 64, as well as mario sunshine, and both mario galaxy games are 3d, not 2d sidescrollers.

personally i absolutely loved both mario galaxy games and think they could work even better if given a Little Big Planet graphics makeover

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
it still had to be cartoony, mario in a world that looked real would be the suck.

Made me think of The Brothers Mario right there.

Question that would actually calm alot.of my cynicism...does the WiiU have an HDD

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Mario Sunshine was the s***. My favorite 3d mario game.

very underrated game. i really liked mario galaxy 2, i think it is my favorite one right now. its like playing the best parts of each mario game

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Honestly, Super Mario Galaxy was quite amazing.

I've only played it for about 2 hours. I liked Sunshine more than 64 is what I am basically saying although most would disagree with this.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
I just got schooled on Mario knowledge. I remember Mario 64, but I can't say I've played much of those games. I still think it's different because it has to be cartoon-like.

More powerful graphics capabilities doesn't mean you need to be more life-like. Pixar couldn't make movies like Up or Cars 15 years ago, but that doesn't mean they aren't still cartoon-y. That's just a stylistic choice.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:45 AM)
More powerful graphics capabilities doesn't mean you need to be more life-like. Pixar couldn't make movies like Up or Cars 15 years ago, but that doesn't mean they aren't still cartoon-y. That's just a stylistic choice.

Plus, draw distance, NPCs on screen, everything can be boosted.

I was faced with the decision of buying either Dead Space 2 or Bulletstorm today. Both of which I already have on my PC (but that's not available to me at the moment).

I finally gave in and decided on Dead Space 2.

BTW, EA Store has both for $24 bucks today tax and shipping included. Not a bad deal. I'll end up beating it and trading it in for 18 bucks at Gamestop next month.