2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
What numbers thing is everyone talking about in HIMYM, did I completely miss something.

The entire episode different elements in the frame had numbers that counted down from 50. The moment it hit 1 was when Lilly got out of the cab and delivered the bad news. It was a countdown to the bad news hinted at by the title of the episode, "bad news".

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I don't watch those Teen pregnant shows or anything. I will watch at least the first 3 weeks of every Real World season to see if I like it and watch the Challenge seasons. It's not like I take it as serious entertainment. I watch so may well written dramas and sitcoms that I enjoy mindless fun once a week.

The Challenge is even more entertaining if you listen to Bill Simmons' podcasts religiously.

I started noticing at 48 on the sauce bottle. When Barney had the thing that said 47th annual whatever, I knew something was up. It was distracting me from the actual show looking for the countdown, but it was a pretty good episode in a sub-par season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
They do stuff like that on purpose, just to point out the contrast in the way things were. That's why whenever there is a scene in a doctor's office, the doctor is smoking. People smoking in elevators. The kids in season 1 wearing the dry cleaning plastic over their heads. The kids always fighting in the car and jumping over the seats without any seatbelts on. The pregnant women smoking and drinking.

It's one of the reasons I like the show, to see how our parents and grandparents lived...

It was kind of strange seeing Jon Hamm in The Town last night because I am so accustomed to him being Don Draper.

We watched a couple more episodes last night. What the heck was with that whole thing with the seemingly incestuous family that he ran off with? What a strange episode. Felt almost like a David Lynch episode with the weird cast of characters. And the very next episode they were all gone. Seemed like some odd continuity.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I started noticing at 48 on the sauce bottle. When Barney had the thing that said 47th annual whatever, I knew something was up. It was distracting me from the actual show looking for the countdown, but it was a pretty good episode in a sub-par season.

Same here...I mean I saw 49, but it hit me when I saw 48, then when I saw 47, I went to check the show description to see if it said anything about numbers.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Oh jeez. I think I'll pass. I'd hate to think that by watching that crap I am contributing to making those douches even richer.

I had the same attitude but trust me, if you watch one episode you'll be hooked, it's beyond entertaining.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Oh jeez. I think I'll pass. I'd hate to think that by watching that crap I am contributing to making those douches even richer.

Whatever. Those douches are already rich enough from the people who actually like them and think they are cool, you watching it won't change much. Enjoy it for the pure idiocy it is.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Maybe it's just me, but "Turn your brain off", "Train wreck", or "So bad, it's good" are NEVER phrases that entice me to watch any form of entertainment

Except the White Sox, right, haha. Think of how many times last year we swore we'd never watch the game, but would still end up texting each other only to see the Sox blow things, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Except the White Sox, right, haha. Think of how many times last year we swore we'd never watch the game, but would still end up texting each other only to see the Sox blow things, haha.

Yeah that's it's own vice haha

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
We watched a couple more episodes last night. What the heck was with that whole thing with the seemingly incestuous family that he ran off with? What a strange episode. Felt almost like a David Lynch episode with the weird cast of characters. And the very next episode they were all gone. Seemed like some odd continuity.

Yeah, that is probably the weirdest episode in the entire series thus far. I think they like to stress just how self-centered and self-indulgent Don Draper can be.

The whole thing with the neighborhood boy Glen really weirds me out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah, that is probably the weirdest episode in the entire series thus far. I think they like to stress just how self-centered and self-indulgent Don Draper can be.

The whole thing with the neighborhood boy Glen really weirds me out.

Yeah when Betty found him hiding and invited him in the house I was starting to get very uncomfortable.