Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
I think it's just the numbers that make people dismiss it. Closers who stay healthy for a couple years and put up the kind of numbers he put up last year have this habit of getting mutli-year, $10 million a year deals, nd it seems crazy to think of the Sox giving that to a relief pitcher.

If he's genuinely dropping into the 2 year, $6-$8 million range, or less, then that's bargain-basement money for an established closer.

I looked at his numbers and he has been arguably a top five reliever in baseball the past few years. Injuries are the only risk. When he is healthy, he is a stud.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Following the Borass pattern, Soriano is going to either sign a one year high dollar deal, or a long term deal. If he can't find his long term deal, the pattern is to take the most money being offered for a single year and to get Soriano back on the market next year again.

Agreed. He isn't signing some 2/$10 deal.

Take this for what it's worth but recently I was out at the mall here in socal and ran into the halos GM Tony Regans and had a chance to talk to him for a bit...he showed luv to sox fans and saw my sox tattoo on my leg and be for he left I asked for anyinside info on rumblings for the offseason. Instantly he a huge smile and said that we were guna be getting someone else good soon...??? What do u guys think could it be soriano? Let's hope another AL gm knows something in the works haha...

QUOTE (credescrew24 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Take this for what it's worth but recently I was out at the mall here in socal and ran into the halos GM Tony Regans and had a chance to talk to him for a bit...he showed luv to sox fans and saw my sox tattoo on my leg and be for he left I asked for anyinside info on rumblings for the offseason. Instantly he a huge smile and said that we were guna be getting someone else good soon...??? What do u guys think could it be soriano? Let's hope another AL gm knows something in the works haha...

This post is amazing

Well, you've certainly got me interested.

I wonder if it's a former Angel's player that has shown interest in the Sox.

Vlad Guerrero to RF? lol.

I wonder who it could be. Maybe it could be Beltre, since the Angels were interested in Beltre, I wonder if his agent maybe said the White Sox were the favorite, and then the Angels backed off.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I met Regans at a Sox game last year. What a class act! I wouldn't be suprised if was telling the truth. And if he was- im thinking it is indeed Soriano. KW's current goal is to solidify the pen.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
My thoughts exactly.

Hard to believe this is a ploy to drum up interest/contract dollars for Soriano, since everybody knows the White Sox are about tapped financially. If that were the case they could've named numerous other "mystery teams" that one might find believable, as far as signing Soriano.

I think Boras/Soriano have found that the market for his closer has become underwhelming, in terms of both years/money.

The best closing job available is with the White Sox; behind solid SU w/ Thornton, Crain, Sale, Santos.

And Boras/Soriano know this.

I'm not too sure about this, but I like the way you think.

QUOTE (credescrew24 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)

It is amazing who you run into at the Mall

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
It is amazing who you run into at the Mall

I once ran into Walter Payton at the Woodfield Mall. He had no idea where some store was so I directed him and then he signed my Marshall Field's receipt. Not one person went up to talk to him and he was all alone.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I once ran into Walter Payton at the Woodfield Mall. He had no idea where some store was so I directed him and then he signed my Marshall Field's receipt. Not one person went up to talk to him and he was all alone.

And even if they did, its not like they could stop him...