alexei and beckham

Hawkfan

Lineup  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is better? Alexei in the two hole, and beckham in the 6 spot, or beckham in the 2 hole and alexei in the 6 spot?

• alexei batting second
    • beckham batting second
    • other

I do not want Beckham in the number 2 spot. At his best, isn't Gordon a run producer? Wouldn't that be wasted in the 2 spot where our guys are usually asked to take pitches and sacrifice outs? In the Ozzie era, Iguchi was prob'ly our best 2 hitter. I see Beckham as having the chance to be a much better hitter and RBI man than the Gooch.

------------ AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

Batting #2 336 49 76 20 1 10 40 39 6 68 5 1 .226 .315 .381 .696

Batting #7 60 10 18 2 0 4 8 5 1 11 1 2 .300 .364 .533 .897

Batting #8 107 13 36 10 0 0 20 8 2 18 2 2 .336 .390 .430 .820

Batting #9 301 43 84 21 2 9 43 25 4 57 3 5 .279 .339 .452 .791

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I do not want Beckham in the number 2 spot. At his best, isn't Gordon a run producer? Wouldn't that be wasted in the 2 spot where our guys are usually asked to take pitches and sacrifice outs?

This is how I see it too. Like it or not, as long as Ozzie is the manager of the Sox, the number 2 hitter will basically have the role of a pitcher hitting 9th- just bunt/move guys over. Basically, Beckham wouldn't get any real at bats with guys on base in this role (unless there are 2 outs)- if Pierre's on, Beckham will be in smallball mode, and if Pierre's not on Beckham would be in leadoff hitter mode. I think this approach is part of what screwed Beckham up in the first place, and I'd rather see him get to SWING the bat in RBI chances, maybe get some XBHs (not HRs, necessarily). I don't think he'll reach his full potential batting 2nd in an Ozzie Guillen line up.

Of course, the same goes for Alexei, really. And the thought of AJ hitting 2nd (anywhere higher than 8th, actually) makes me throw up in my mouth. So that leaves us with... Morel? I guess of all the options, I'd go with Alexei 2nd, Beckham 7th. Though neither option is the end of the world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Has that changed with having a real base stealer as a leadoff hitter?

He hit behind Podsednik in 2009 when everyone knew Podsednik was running every time he was on base, and in 2009 the Sox #2 hitters had the lowest %age of fastballs seen of any #2 hitter in the league. I checked this stat a while ago.

Why is it assumed that the 2 hole is for bunting and taking pitches? In my mind its more about putting someone up there who can drive the ball to right field to get 1st and 3rd. Alexei can't do that. Nor can he take pitches.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
He hit behind Podsednik in 2009 when everyone knew Podsednik was running every time he was on base, and in 2009 the Sox #2 hitters had the lowest %age of fastballs seen of any #2 hitter in the league. I checked this stat a while ago.

A while ago, as in two years ago?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
A while ago, as in two years ago?

As in I checked their 2009 numbers some months ago but during the summer of 2010 when the claim was made that Alexei would see more fastballs if he was hitting behind Pierre and Pierre was running.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
It's probably because Alexei is a wretched curveball hitter, and throwing a bunch of fastballs to him when he's shown he can'th it a curve for s*** is just dumber than f***.

I was thinking I remembered Alexei hitting breaking balls better this year, and he did. He was actually a good hitter against every pitch except changeups and split-finger fastballs this past year. He has struggled against curveballs in the past, but that is definitely something that can be improved upon and was this year. Hopefully he continues to do so and puts up another 50 extra base hits.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
I was thinking I remembered Alexei hitting breaking balls better this year, and he did. He was actually a good hitter against every pitch except changeups and split-finger fastballs this past year. He has struggled against curveballs in the past, but that is definitely something that can be improved upon and was this year. Hopefully he continues to do so and puts up another 50 extra base hits.

Then again, who is?

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
I've heard rumors that alexei will be batting second this year. It seems strange to me considering he is more of a pull hitter, and strikes out a lot. Am I wrong?

This part is actually untrue, but is a common misconception. Lexi is anything but "selective", but his contact skills are very good and his strikeout totals are average, not particularly good or bad. Looking at his Sox career so far, he has been slightly more selective as a two hitter (more walks, higher obp) and his hit for more power lower in the order. This may be as much a result of him being told to take certain pitches to allow stealing, more sac bunting, etc., while in the two hole, as it was any change in mindset or approach - not too certain.

I think I like him in the 7 hole more, but it's close for me.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen