Realistic Adam Dunn expectations

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
Who isn't playing better than him? I'd bet there are quite a few NL pitchers who are more dangerous at the plate right now than Dunn. He looks like he has no chance in every at bat.

Dunn's BA/OBP/OPS:

.186/.314/.660

Carlos Zambranos: .375/.375/.958

Jonathan Sanchez: .263/.300/.721

Dan Hudson: .300/.300/.650

Jason Marquis: .304/.304/.652

It's certainly close!!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Dunn's BA/OBP/OPS:

.186/.314/.660

Carlos Zambranos: .375/.375/.958

Jonathan Sanchez: .263/.300/.721

Dan Hudson: .300/.300/.650

Jason Marquis: .304/.304/.652

It's certainly close!!

Dontrell willis doesn't have a gig. He hit pretty well as a pitcher. He hits left handed, a plus. Edited by knightni

Run producer? I guess that you and I are talking about two different players. I'm talking Adam Dunn.

I'm talking about a guy that HAS to hit 40 home runs to barely knock in 100 runs. That's what happens when he can't touch the ball 1 out of 3 trips to the plate and have a .250 average. You can't hardly drive in a run unless you hit it out of the park. And, 38 -40 homers is a lot but it isn't 45-55.

For comparison's sake in the NL last year- Juan Uribe knocked in 85 and SS Troy Tulowittzki missed 30 games and knocked in 95. I guess that's why Dunn has never finished in the top 20 in the NL MVP voting even once in his career. I guess others don't think he's very valuable either.

Maybe, that's why he's never been in a playoff game or even played on a team with a winning record. However, the Reds somehow got better as soon as he left. Hey, I'm not saying the guy is worthless but he's hardly a star or a great player and that's a big contract.

Especially, when there are much better hitters still out there that the Sox could have saved a lot of money on the DH spot. Let's see Vlad Guerrero, a HOF hitter that just knocked in 115 last year(much more than Dunn ever did) and batted .300 again for about $ 5-6 mil. or the 200 K king for $ 56 mil ?

Yeah, I took quite the beating all winter long.

It's not that I thought Dunn would suck this bad. And, I didn't mind the fact that the Sox signed him. I just knew that they paid him too much yearly and for too long a period because let's face it, Dunn already looks like he's 45 playing in a beer league.

Secondly, I knew the Sox needed some of that money for other players - particularly J.J. Putz. That pissed me off to see him go to Arizona for $ 5 mil. a year and ofcourse he's 15 for 15 now. That alone would have changed this season.

Kenny did not need to throw that kind of money at the DH spot - and ONCE AGAIN for a guy (Dunn) that was NOT a great hitter. And, even at his best has a skill set that is very very limited. He's the anti-Lillibridge.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 28, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
It's not that I thought Dunn would suck this bad. And, I didn't mind the fact that the Sox signed him. I just knew that they paid him too much yearly and for too long a period because let's face it, Dunn already looks like he's 45 playing in a beer league.

Secondly, I knew the Sox needed some of that money for other players - particularly J.J. Putz. That pissed me off to see him go to Arizona for $ 5 mil. a year and ofcourse he's 15 for 15 now. That alone would have changed this season.

Kenny did not need to throw that kind of money at the DH spot - and ONCE AGAIN for a guy (Dunn) that was NOT a great hitter. And, even at his best has a skill set that is very very limited. He's the anti-Lillibridge.

You nailed it!

Could have thrown a few more bucks at VMart, but alas we have Dunn. Maybe the Braves would wanna swap Uggla for Dunn, they are equally disappointing.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 28, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)

Actually, the signing looked like a relative-to-the-market bargain, given the money/years that was thrown at Werth the following week.

But, yeah, he flat blows, and he's absolutely killing us.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

All I know is that I'm tired of seeing this act over and over again of acquiring very expensive stars that have peaked for our pitching prospects and draft picks with little regard for investing in the franchise and player development.

Right now, I would be more excited about my team if we were Tampa, K.C. , Oakland, Cincinnati, Florida, Toronto, Washington..heck even the Cubs have exciting young players at the Major League level and some more on the cusp.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 28, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
All I know is that I'm tired of seeing this act over and over again of acquiring very expensive stars that have peaked for our pitching prospects and draft picks with little regard for investing in the franchise and player development.

Right now, I would be more excited about my team if we were Tampa, K.C. , Oakland, Cincinnati, Florida, Toronto, Washington..heck even the Cubs have exciting young players at the Major League level and some more on the cusp.

But now only one of those has a WS title in the last several years (Florida)...this is the price we pay for that title...thinking we can do it again versus rebuilding...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
But now only one of those has a WS title in the last several years (Florida)...this is the price we pay for that title...thinking we can do it again versus rebuilding...

But at what point does a franchise realize that 2005 was over half a decade ago and the current model isn't working? That's a hypothetical.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
But at what point does a franchise realize that 2005 was over half a decade ago and the current model isn't working? That's a hypothetical.

Well, considering our salary obligations, I don't know if you really can until 2013 or so...

Props to you Randy. My feelings exactly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Well, considering our salary obligations, I don't know if you really can until 2013 or so...

We are really handcuffed with Dunn. It's looking more and more like this organization is gonna be in a bad way for a while.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
I'd rather lose and rebuild the minors. At least then the downers will have a better reason to complain after every loss.

Or we could continue with the status quo and come into every season seemingly the most talented team in the division. Then, of course, lose out to a less talented team with less resources. But then the optimists wouldn't be able to say "it's early," "they're proven," "they'll turn it around." It goes both ways.

Edited by Jordan4life

The truth is, EVERY TEAM will lose at minimum more than 1/3 of its games every year.

b****ing every day that the team loses is pointless. It doesn't serve any benefit. The team doesn't improve, and it just makes the people who complain regularily seem annoying and a real drag to be around to the average poster.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
The truth is, EVERY TEAM will lose at minimum more than 1/3 of its games every year.

b****ing about a loss every day that the team loses is pointless. It doesn't serve any benefit. The team doesn't improve, and it just makes the people who complain regularily seem annoying and a real drag to be around to the average poster.

I can't speak for everybody else. But I didn't expect the team to challenge the 2001 Mariners. And not every team has a $125+ million dollar payroll. That can't be ignored. Otherwise we're all hypocrites for how we've bashed the Cubs the last 3-4 years. It's not so much b****ing after every loss. But for the third straight year, the team has come out like they're entitled to something. They say all the right things during the offseason. It's going to be different this year. Fundamentals and baserunning will be better. Defense will be better. This player will rebound. That player will rebound. And for the third straight year, here we are in a big hole. How do you not criticize? I mean we all get emotional and say dumb s***. Nobody can deny that. But the extreme criticism is justified. If you told me or anybody before the season started that the Twins would be damn near 20 games below .500 going into June, and we would STILL be 10 games behind the division leader (12 in the loss column), that person(s) would be banned for excessive trolling.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'm not expecting people to gloss-over the team's suckage. I'm saying that people need to give it a rest sometimes.

We all know that the team is struggling and underachieving. We all know that they're spending 125 mil this year. We all know the the minors needs rebuilding. Most know that the coaching and management should be under closer scrutiny.

It just doesn't need it harped on EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
I'd rather lose and rebuild the minors. At least then the downers will have a better reason to complain after every loss.

I don't think anyone should trust this organization to draft and develop properly (other than pitchers at times) anyways.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)

b****ing every day that the team loses is pointless. It doesn't serve any benefit. The team doesn't improve, and it just makes the people who complain regularily seem annoying and a real drag to be around to the average poster.

I know this post isn't directed at me since I have barely posted this season, but I'll defend whoever it is directed at. What else are they supposed to do? A team that is "all in" and spent a ton of money has been a miserable failure, and shows no sign of coming out of it. This management team also has no track record of coming from behind to make the playoffs ('05 jumped way ahead, '08 was neck and neck), and that's especially depresing when you consider this team started with a record that only 3 have ever recovered from to make the playoffs. What response other than b****ing do you expect?

Edited by whitesoxfan101