Realistic Adam Dunn expectations

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 28, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
I know this post isn't directed at me since I have barely posted this season, but I'll defend whoever it is directed at. What else are they supposed to do? A team that is "all in" and spent a ton of money has been a miserable failure, and shows no sign of coming out of it. This management team also has no track record of coming from behind to make the playoffs ('05 we jumped way ahead, '08 was neck and neck), and that's especially depresing when you consider this team started with a record that only 3 have ever recovered from to make the playoffs. What response other than b****ing do you expect?

And it's a message board. I mean what else are we supposed to talk about?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
I'm not expecting people to gloss-over the team's suckage. I'm saying that people need to give it a rest sometimes.

We all know that the team is struggling and underachieving. We all know that they're spending 125 mil this year. We all know the the minors needs rebuilding. Most know that the coaching and management should be under closer scrutiny.

It just doesn't need it harped on EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

You know what? Normally I'd agree but the team brought it on itself.

It just did.

It's just so hard to not bag on this team when it fell so far behind so early. Yes the boys played better going 9-3 or something but this road trip is sucking as well and the team simply is no good.

How can we give it a rest when this team has done nothing? We'd have to just stop talking about the team to say much positive about it when it's All In.

I tell you, if they'd get rid of that slogan I mentally might chill a bit. If they'd wipe it off the websites and commercials I'd feel better. It sickens me everytime I go to the webpage.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
And it's a message board. I mean what else are we supposed to talk about?

I think it would serve some people good to step away and perhaps direct their anger and frustration to something more productive. Perhaps they could do some week whacking or work out.

I'm certainly not saying people don't have the right to post their frustrations here, just making a suggestion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
I think it would serve some people good to step away and perhaps direct their anger and frustration to something more productive. Perhaps they could do some week whacking or work out.

I'm certainly not saying people don't have the right to post their frustrations here, just making a suggestion.

That's a misconception by many. I don't have "anger" over baseball. At least not at almost 28. Frustration if I feel my team is underperforming? Yes. But I don't go shooting at chickens when the Sox lose. It's really not that serious.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 06:41 AM)
That's a misconception by many. I don't have "anger" over baseball. At least not at almost 28. Frustration if I feel my team is underperforming? Yes. But I don't go shooting at chickens when the Sox lose. It's really not that serious.

Same here. I guess I'm a very annoying personality on the site this season because I'm so apathetic and it brings out negativity in my comments.

IN MY MIND we have a lousy team and it really takes over my personality overall on the board.

I do pretty much expect us to lose every night so I am pleasantly surprised and definitely happy when the Sox do win. It's the first time in a long time in my Sox fandom that because of our early play I do expect us to lose pretty much every game. In the past I've always expected Sox to win. I guess it would take a really long piece of winning to get me out of my shell shocked state from that stretch where the Sox bent over and lost game after game.

But in real life, I'm not all depressed about the White Sox. I just kind of shut up when friends ask about the team and get on with other things.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
So wait, is Dunn on pace to break the record for most K's in a season even after missing quite a few games?

Wouldn't be surprising. What a joke he's become.

*awaits someone to come in here with appendectomy excuses*

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
So wait, is Dunn on pace to break the record for most K's in a season even after missing quite a few games?

If anybody could do it. I know Reynolds broke it two years ago. 223 I believe. And you know Ozzie won't bench him. So it's possible.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
If anybody could do it. I know Reynolds broke it two years ago. 223 I believe. And you know Ozzie won't bench him. So it's possible.

I just checked his pace. Over the course of 162 games, he'd come out to 230something. With the games that he missed, he'd probably actually come in just under the record. A couple more golden sombreros might just fix that, though.

If you're going to lose, you might as well do it in style.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm tempted to buy tickets to the next home game for the sole purpose of booing him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
I wanna go, too, and boo Ozzie, Juan, Adam, Alex, etc.

Not going sends a bigger message. A stadium of 9K would open up Jerry's eyes.

It pains me to watch the man perform any of the functions of living person, let alone a baseball player. We're stuck with him, and I accept that (this acceptance includes his presence in AB's where a PH would be warranted). However, as J4L suggested, he's just now entering into fun bad -- where you openly cheer to see how far he can fall. Why not make it 0-season against lefties? Wouldn't this be a great achievement to watch?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 29, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
It pains me to watch the man perform any of the functions of living person, let alone a baseball player. We're stuck with him, and I accept that (this acceptance includes his presence in AB's where a PH would be warranted). However, as J4L suggested, he's just now entering into fun bad -- where you openly cheer to see how far he can fall. Why not make it 0-season against lefties? Wouldn't this be a great achievement to watch?

He's made it more than a third of the way through the season without recording a single hit against a lefty. It's a legitimate possibility.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
I really want to know what the record is for this level of futility. I have no idea how to go about finding it. Seems like a lot of work.

I bet you Stats, Inc. will figure it out, whenever/if they catch wind of his streak.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
He's made it more than a third of the way through the season without recording a single hit against a lefty. It's a legitimate possibility.

My expectation is that Dunn will continue to cash his checks until his contract ends. His hitting will not be effected one way or another by the crowds booing. Dunn held out for more money and KW gave him what he wanted. Who is at fault?