Realistic Adam Dunn expectations

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 25, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Well, originally, my goal for Derp was to hit above his weight.

But I think that's now too high for him to attain. By 200 points. The way it's going.

last 10 games he is hitting .125. Not improving. Projection was .259. 285 his listed weight would be better but reality is he is not showing any improvement. At least if he is 0 for 30 + facing left handers at least platoon him with someone who can hit lefties. DV would be a great improvement. Just an un related matter send Morel down dfa McPherson then bring up the real deal, Dayan.

QUOTE (forrestg @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
last 10 games he is hitting .125. Not improving. Projection was .259. 285 his listed weight would be better but reality is he is not showing any improvement. At least if he is 0 for 30 + facing left handers at least platoon him with someone who can hit lefties. DV would be a great improvement. Just an un related matter send Morel down dfa McPherson then bring up the real deal, Dayan.

Why does everyone hate Morel now that he's hitting? He's hitting .300 in May. Send him down, that's too good!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Why does everyone hate Morel now that he's hitting? He's hitting .300 in May. Send him down, that's too good!

Same thing we did to BA after his brutal first half, just kept benching him for Mackowiak because the memory of his bad first half endured. I still wonder what could have been if he would have gotten consistent at bats in that delicate time early in his career.

Anyways, learn your lesson! Leave the kid there. Right now, there's no place for DV. Sorry, I'm willing to put up with 150 games of Dunn struggling because I know it's just not going to last. It literally never happens like this. He's a few career average seasons away from HOF consideration. I know he'll turn it around, it just sucks that it's taking so long. I don't mind giving him more days off, but giving up is not the way to go. He's a guy that would actually benefit from a simulated game. It would be great if he could see some game type pitches without pressure. Let him pound some full speed pitching in practice so he remembers how to do it, you know.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)

I don't hate Morel, he plays fine defense and actually more productive than about 3 of the starters. He will have a fine career. He has some options left while it seems that Viciedo needs to be recalled. I think the unproven Viciedo is ready for the show I also believe the only way to allow Dayan on the roster is to move someone down. While less productive players like Dunn etc. who probably be given more chances to improve than they deserve. How else can we get Dayan up dfa a pitcher like Pena , trade a starter for prospects?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Same thing we did to BA after his brutal first half, just kept benching him for Mackowiak because the memory of his bad first half endured. I still wonder what could have been if he would have gotten consistent at bats in that delicate time early in his career.

Anyways, learn your lesson! Leave the kid there. Right now, there's no place for DV. Sorry, I'm willing to put up with 150 games of Dunn struggling because I know it's just not going to last. It literally never happens like this. He's a few career average seasons away from HOF consideration. I know he'll turn it around, it just sucks that it's taking so long. I don't mind giving him more days off, but giving up is not the way to go. He's a guy that would actually benefit from a simulated game. It would be great if he could see some game type pitches without pressure. Let him pound some full speed pitching in practice so he remembers how to do it, you know.

Dunn? HOF consideration? Surely you jest.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
I was, of course, watching the Bulls game. I caught the first two innings or so. Dunn struck out 4 times? Good god he sucks.

This. Yet I still am not worried about him or am any less excited about him being on the sox for some reason.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:01 AM)
Nobody was more excited than me. But man, he f***ing sucks right now. He's like Juan Pierre bad.

I agree, I just don't know why I don't care about his failings while I have roughly two heart attacks a week about Rios, Pierre, and Beckham.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:00 AM)
This. Yet I still am not worried about him or am any less excited about him being on the sox for some reason.

Probably because he's new.

It takes a while to hate the new players. That's human nature. Some people still don't think Rios sucks as he's been here what, three years now?

This year's team has the same problem that the Sox had last year. They badly need a left handed threat in the middle of their right handed heavy lineup. Initially, Dunn was able to at least provide a left handed presence, even if he wasn't actually producing. However, it has now gotten so bad that I doubt any opposing pitcher is concerned about facing him, much less fears him.

While I agree that Viciedo should be called up and given plenty of playing time, I think that move has to involve replacing Pierre. Viciedo is another right handed hitter, and that is not what the Sox need to fill the hole that Dunn has created. That is why Kotsay was allowed to play so much, even though he was so unproductive. It's the same problem. This team has got to find a left handed presence, and quick.

They need to find a left handed hitter to bat 4TH or 5Th, between Quentin, Konerko, Alexei, Rios and Beckham. The only possible candidates on this team are Teahen, McPherson and Gallagher. I wouldn't be opposed to giving any of those guys a chance to bat 5Th. None of them are good enough to even consider for cleanup, but a guy like Gallagher might be able to hit 5th. He's a high OBP guy, with one more walk than strike outs. And he has gap power, with 18 doubles in just a quater of a season. He's played quite a bit of outfield in his career.

Maybe they should call him up too. At least he wouln't lead the League in S.O.'s

If the Sox really wanted to try something radical, they might bench Pierre, Dunn and Rios.

Put Viciedo in LF.

Lillibridge in CF, and leading off

Gallagher moving around to spell Konerko and Quentin each a couple of games a week. He could DH the rest of the time.

I'd love to see a lineup like this:

CF Lillibridge

3B Vizquel

RF Quentin

1B Konerko

LF Gallagher

DH Viciedo

SS Ramirez

C A. J.

2B Beckham

I realize that this isn't going to happen because they're paying Rios and Dunn too much money to sit. However, I go back to what I've said before, which is that players should be held accountable. There is no excuse for a guy to be as bad as Dunn, unless he's hurt, in which case he shouldn't be on the field, in the first place. I mean really; leading the League in S.O.'s and striking out 9 consecutive at bats, while producing not much more than your part time utility speedster (Lillibridge). I don't care how much he's making, he can't be allowed to continue to kill this team's chances. We're nearing the end of the first third of the season. Enough is enough.

The Sox are wasting way too many good pitching performances, just because high priced offensive players can't contribute. If you don't bench these guys, it sends the wrong signal to everyone in the organization. It says; "Don't worry, just get a big contract, and then you don't have to ever produce again. Just sit back and collect the money. Oh, and you young guys toiling the Minors, don't even think about being able to take away an established veteran's job. It isn't going to happen."

I understand that this is common practice in baseball, but that doesn't make it right.

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but the Score is reporting that Adam Dunn will be batting 7th tonight. If true, I will give Ozzie some credit. We can't afford to have a black hole in the middle of our lineup. He needs to keep playing everyday to figure his s*** out, but it will be much better for us if he can so near the bottom of the order. I don't see this team winning the division if Dunn can't get on track in the next month or so. The thought of A.J. batting fifth on a regular basis scares the crap out of me and I'm guessing that's what Ozzie will do.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but the Score is reporting that Adam Dunn will be batting 7th tonight. If true, I will give Ozzie some credit. We can't afford to have a black hole in the middle of our lineup. He needs to keep playing everyday to figure his s*** out, but it will be much better for us if he can so near the bottom of the order. I don't see this team winning the division if Dunn can't get on track in the next month or so. The thought of A.J. batting fifth on a regular basis scares the crap out of me and I'm guessing that's what Ozzie will do.

How about 10th?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Juan Pierre is playing better than him right now. That's scary.

Who isn't playing better than him? I'd bet there are quite a few NL pitchers who are more dangerous at the plate right now than Dunn. He looks like he has no chance in every at bat.

Edited by BigSqwert