Seeking auto mechanic advice

joejoesox

I've checked some videos on youtube, this seems to be a really easy DIY task, any tips or pointers I should know? Should I take my car in to Firestone or Midas and have an alignment done (~$100 or so) after I've replaced both?

Basically I took my car in to have it checked out and, well here's a thread I posted on trailvoy.com:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=82716

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Dealership wants to charge me about $700 to replace both outer tie rod ends + alignment. Cost of two outer tie rod ends at Autozone is about $140 (total). Judging by the video's I've seen on youtube, it would be literally throwing my money into the trash by paying $700+ to have someone else do it.

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
I've checked some videos on youtube, this seems to be a really easy DIY task, any tips or pointers I should know? Should I take my car in to Firestone or Midas and have an alignment done (~$100 or so) after I've replaced both?

Basically I took my car in to have it checked out and, well here's a thread I posted on trailvoy.com:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=82716

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Dealership wants to charge me about $700 to replace both outer tie rod ends + alignment. Cost of two outer tie rod ends at Autozone is about $140 (total). Judging by the video's I've seen on youtube, it would be literally throwing my money into the trash by paying $700+ to have someone else do it.

I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY, but why take it to a dealer? If it isn't under warranty (and if you can't DIY), why not take it somewhere else that'll be much cheaper? I've never had a dealer be my best price for repairs.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY, but why take it to a dealer? If it isn't under warranty (and if you can't DIY), why not take it somewhere else that'll be much cheaper? I've never had a dealer be my best price for repairs.

have had bad experience with backyard mechanics/local repair shops which usually resulted in repeated visits

Midas quoted me about $570 on this same job, granted it's cheaper but just seems DIY is best option for me

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Before I attempt any repairs like this I always ask myself what is the worse thing that can happen if I do the repair? And how likely is that to happen? Then I pay the repair shop. :lol:

Would you pay $700+ to have that done?

my buddy tried to do this himself when we were in college and one thing after another complicated the issue. First he didnt have a large enough wrench to remove the old tie-rod so he had to go rent one, then when he had the appropriate size wrench he couldnt loosen the bolt, so he then used a blowtorch on the bolt to heat it up so he could remove it, only to find out he needed an impact wrench to remove the bolt because the torque was so great. Once he started thinking about it more and more, he ended up paying a shop because he knew he would need to have his wheels aligned when the job was done, and that was something he could not do because he did not have the diagnostic tools.

Good luck

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)

Would you pay $700+ to have that done?

Honestly, I would have it done by a buddy of mine who works at a dealer and would probably charge me about the same as Midas. If it wasn't for him, I'd go to a local repair shop. But I am less willing to work on my car than say my computer, house, boat, etc. And as was mentioned above, it seems like I am always short some specific tool that makes it easy.

You sound pretty confident, if I were you, I'd go for it.

Ya, my only fear would be if you messed up, some serious damage to your body could happen. Thankfully I have a buddy who works at a dealer and can use the dealer on weekends and help work on his friends cars. I'll pay him what is fair (always told him he deserves to get paid) but at least you know you aren't getting raped or lied to.

Do you have any previous experience working on cars or machinery?

Tie rod end replacements are pretty easy in general, provided you have all the right tools. Nothing slows a job down more than having to stop a half a dozen times to run up to the store for a wrench or socket.

I would recommend an alignment. Don't want uneven wear on your tires or unusual handling characteristics.